17 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 4:36 PM by blueflashphoto

Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files

NigelWatts

When round tripping from Lightroom CC 2015 to Photoshop CC 2015, Lightroom does not display the returned Tif file. Checking my Lightroom catalog folder structure the Tif file is being returned and placed in the correct location, but Lightroom will not display it. I am able to open the Tif file manually with preview. I have 'Stack with original' on, and the other external editing preferences are set exactly as recommended for proper round tripping (I check several sources including Adobe training materials). I have no keyword or filters set.

This feature was working fine, until recently, but stopped working before I did the CC 2015 upgrades. I am at a loss since the file is not corrupted and in the correct location. Using other external editors such as Tonality Pro, have no issue with round tripping.

OSX Yosemite 10.10.3

I have looked around the discussion board for an answer without luck.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you be using Save As in Photoshop?

Try Cmd+S (save & overwrite) followed by Cmd+W close and update LR thumbnail.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
            NigelWatts Level 1

No luck with that unfortunately. I am definitely using the Save and not Save As method. I tried different view modes in Lightroom. I also tried just closing Photoshop and letting it bring up the Save dialog box.  Quite an odd issue.  When I manually import the Tif file that Photoshop created, and put it back into the same folder where it was placed by Photoshop; it does appear, just not stacked with the original since the file name is not retained.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files

OK I’m not sure why it’s not working. When you choose Edit in >> Photoshop CC 2015, Lightroom renders a tiff file based on your pref settings. You can see the thumbnail in the Library even before you begin editing in PS. If you use Save As in PS; you are creating a new document which Lightroom knows nothing about.

Works perfectly on my Macbook Pro. So unless you are rendering “original” which will have no LR adjustments I can only suggest you check your pref settings for external editing. Is your original a raw file?

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                NigelWatts Level 1

Ok thanks. I'll run through all of my preferences again. It seems logical that if other external editors are working properly, then something, somewhere is causing a conflict; more likley in Photoshop perhaps? It was working a while back, so something triggered the change. The original is a RAW file. I will dig deeper into Photoshop settings.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files

The other thing to check is your sort order. Click the drop-down list on the tool bar.

For any folder or the  Previous Import folder; the tiff sometimes finishes at the end of the thumbnails display, unless capture date is set.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Also your Export settings can affect how a file sent to PS will be put back into LR or not. If you don't have Add to Stack checked it may not be right next to the original. If you don't have Add to This Catalog checked it will not be added to the catalog. It might appear initially, while you are working on it in PS, Don't know, Never tried it, but it won't be added when you are finished. Also in the External Editing section of the LR preferences make sure Stack With Original is checked

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                      Crusadercan

Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue.  I like to do my final edits in PS before posting to Flickr.   I like to a my signature as a final step in my workflow which worked without a single problem before the 2015 upgrade.  Now when I go to save back to LR, I get a black screen not the edited image.  I'm at a complete loss how to overcome this issue.  I have tried all three edit in PS options (edit original LR etc).

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                        lyndas87485855

I have the same problem.  Was not an issue before upgrading to LR CC 2015.  Once I close down LR, the edit.tif files won't show up in LR again.  The files are in the folder, as I can see them using Finder.  But they don't show up in LR.  I need to export them to jpg and use specific settings which are saved in LR.

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                          Maiaibing Level 1

I also have this problem. I'm doing the editing "right" using "save" and not "save as" but lightroom shows nothing (even if the edited TIF flie is actually in the correct folder together with the original RAW file. Even stranger, if I try to import the missing TIF flie - LR prevents this and tells me its in the catalog already. And yes - I have checked that no filters etc are active and that I'm in the correct folder in the catalog etc. etc. The edited file is simply not showing for no good reason at all.

If anyone solved this very annoying bug - please share your solution!

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                            alexbuntin

Same exact problem for me! When is this going to get solved??? Huge problem!!!

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                              michaelm70853425

I am experiencing the same insanely frustrating problem. I choose "Open as layers in Photoshop...", save the file after editing in PS, and nothing happens in lightroom. When I confirm that the .tif file is in the correct folder via Windows Explorer, I try to "Synchronize Folder" in LR, and therefore import the .tif I know is in there but is missing from my LR catalog. And LR refuses to import it because it thinks the image is a duplicate! I have no active filters, and have searched for hours, looking at every single photo extension. Got lots of CR2's, but not a single .tif.

Anyway, not only does the auto-back-and-forth thing not work, but LR refuses to even import the PS edit at all, insisting that it's already in the library.

• 13. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If LR thinks the image is already in the catalog then it is in the catalog.

Have you used the LR filter par to search for the file by File Name? Select the All Photographs option in the Catalog section of the left panel in the Library module, open the filter bar if it isn't already displayed ( the \ key), Click the Text option and type in the File Name.

Is the file in the catalog?

What are the settings you have in the External Editing section of the LR Preferences?

• 14. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                                  Stefrobrts Level 1

I just had this same problem. After running my raw files through the Enfuse plug in, it created tiff files as a result, added them to the correct folder location, and added them to the stacks, but they did not appear in LR. Each stack showed 2 of 6, 3 of 6, etc, but no 1 of 6 was visible. I tried importing the tiffs, I tried synchronizing folders, I could see the tiffs in the folder in Win Explorer. This worked the last time I did it a few days ago, it normally adds and displays the tiffs, no extra steps needed. Then I realized the only difference was that I had saved the images one folder deeper in my file structure than I usually do. I have no idea why that would matter. Lightroom wouldn't let me move the folder up a level. I finally moved it using Explorer, which caused LR to 'lose' the folder, so I clicked on the folder and located it for LR, and it immediately displayed all the tiffs it had refused to add just a moment before. I don't know if this might be helpful to you. If nothing else, moving the folder using the system file manager and forcing LR to lose it, then helping it find it again might at least help someone get going again, because I was running out of ideas of how I was going to get those tiffs to show up.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 15. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                                    Maiaibing Level 1

OK, this is the fix for some of these issues:

Lightroom does not import Tiff files correctly back if LARGE/small caps in the folder name does not match between your harddisk and in LightRoom's own folder tree.

Carefully check the spelling and correct as needed. Either way works. It just needs to be the same.

Not sure how this misalignment between the disk and LR happens. But it will lead to this problem.

Hope this will help some of you out there.

• 16. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                                      Maiaibing Level 1

Forgot to add the following reference with:

1) another possible solution and

2) the walkthru on renaming folders that helped me solve my

Photoshop will not automatically import my edited file back into Lightroom

• 17. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not displaying edited Tif files
                                        blueflashphoto Level 1

I would have never guessed this was the issue. I moved the folder up one level and there they were! Totally a weird bug in LR. Thanks for posting.