17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2015 6:56 PM by rafikb75617205

My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years

rafikb75617205

Dear Professional

My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error Microsoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years. My earlier model Elements-10 works but I would prefer to get the Elements 12 running. If I reinstall it from my saved file it gives me the same MS error message. Should I download and install a new Elements 12 from Adobe (my account)? If yes, how can I do this without being charged again.

Thank you so much

Rafik

PS: My PC is a Dell-Dimensions 521E, Windows 32 bits 2007

• 1. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rafikb

What is the specific Microsoft message that you are getting when your Premiere Elements 12 will not start?

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update?

Do you have an antivirus program that still supports your Windows XP 32 bit (assumed SP3)? If so, it is the antivirus program automatically updating?

Does the problem exist with antivirus and firewalls disabled?

Please let us put together the information requested above, and then we can decide what next based on the details of your reply...especially the exact wording of the error message.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
            rafikb75617205 Level 1

Dear ATR

Thank you for your reply.

Please see below

What is the specific Microsoft message that you are getting when your

Premiere Elements 12 will not start?

Photoshop Elements 12 Editor has stopped working

• A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will

close the program and notify you if a solution is available *

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help

Menu/Update?

No... Could you send me a link to do so?

Do you have an antivirus program that still supports your Windows XP 32 bit

(assumed SP3)? If so, it is the antivirus program automatically updating?

*Yes McAfee and I have had it for ten years (with yearly updates). Last was

in April 2015*

My system is not Windows XP 32 it is Windows Vista 32 2007

Does the problem exist with antivirus and firewalls disabled?

I have never tried to disable them

Thank you for your valuable help

Rafik (Canada)

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 12:13 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rafik

Thanks for the reply.

Right now you cannot update 12 to 12.1 since you cannot get into the opened project. When you can, the update is done only by using Help Menu/Updates in the opened project.

First disable the antivirus and firewalls to make sure that one or the other or both are not related to the problem.

Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Is the card updating on an automatic updating schedule? If so, you might consider a temporary driver version roll back to rule that factor in or out.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed, and are you running the programs as administrator?

What happens if your right click the desktop icon and select and apply Run As Administrator?

Please review the following Premiere Elements 12/12.1 solutions, and determine if any of them work for you

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Sign In Failure (Connect to Internet or Fix Computer Clock)

Depending on the outcome from the above, we can look at

uninstall the usual Control Panel way

free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - Download

reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

We could also

1. obtain a new source of installation files and download and install them as per the scenario just listed...you should not be charged for downloading a new copy of your already purchased Premiere Elements 12. Be sure to download the files specific to your computer (presumed to be the computer to which the purchased files were downloaded originally).

2. create a new user account with administrative privileges and install and try to run Premiere Elements 12 from there.

Lots of possibilities. Please start at the top and then we will decide what next based on the details (results) in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                rafikb75617205 Level 1

ATR

Thanks again for your reply. I will go through all options you provided and

will revert to you by tomorrow.

Many thanks

Rafik

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 1:26 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                  rafikb75617205 Level 1

Hello ATR

I have tried almost all of what you mentioned including cleaning my Temp

files and uninstalling a program or two that I had installed during the

second week of June-2015, which I thought, may be the culprits. I disabled

my McAfee and my Windows firewall. I was not able to locate the host file,

but tried repeatedly to enter my program Photoshop Elements-12 and got the

same result. *BY THE WAY, I WAS MISTAKEN IN THE TERM I USED FOR MY PROGRAM.

MY OWN PREMIER ELEMENTS VERSION IS NUMBER 10 AND THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

THE PROBLEM I AM FACING IS WITH PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 12, THAT IS WHAT I

MEANT, AND NOT PREMIER ELEMENTS 12. WITH PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 12, I get the

message after I click EDIT. *

This never happened before. Photoshop Elements-10 works well but I cannot

treat my photos as I do with 12.

I just wanted to let you know that I re-installed my Home-Studio Lexicon

I-ONIX 42S to the same PC ON June-9, 2015. I had not been recording any of

my music for 3 years. As I was reviewing my windows folder (in C drive),

today, I noticed that while re-installing my Lexicon, the USB used to

connect to my PC, appeared (In Windows), dated June-9, 2015, as well. I

hope this is not the reason because I need them both. The USB icon/folder

that appears in Windows-C says: usb-audio.deLexiconIONIXU42S

My biggest concern is that I can neither re-install Photoshop Elements 12

from the licensed saved copy on my PC or from my account in Adobe-Online.

And I am wondering if asking you to forward me the 12.1 version or even 13,

would not have me face the same hurdles. I am retired and make some

supplementary income from Real-Estate photography. Your kind intervention

would be so helpful. I just had two photo-shoots today and my agent gave me

till next week to treat the photos.

Many thanks, ATR, and I hope you enjoyed Independence Weekend with your

close ones. I did mine with my family.

Best regards

Rafik

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 1:26 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 6. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Rafik

Thanks for the follow up.

From what you wrote I am understanding your problem to be related to Photoshop Elements 12, not any version of Premiere Elements.

If that is the case...

1. In 2014, I went through a terrible time getting Photoshop Elements 12 to be usable. Its Elements Organizer 12 worked but not the Photoshop Elements Editor12...could not open it at all from the desktop icon or anywhere else. After several months, the solution was to rename both the SLCache and SLStore Folders. The how to for that is in a blog post already mentioned in your thread. One thread in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum pointed to editing the host files as the solution. If you cannot find the hosts file where mention in the blog post, please make sure that you are not working with hidden files and folders. Please find that Folder Option and assure that it is enabled.

2. If you have the purchased serial number for Photoshop Elements 12, you can download new installation files for your version/computer operating system from Adobe Other Downloads whose link is

Other downloads

Let us see if the above leads to a solution. If not, it might be a good idea to post your question in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum for Barbara Brundage and team to give you some thoughts on your Photoshop Elements 12 situation.

Photoshop Elements

Looking forward to your results as your time permits,

ATR

• 7. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                      rafikb75617205 Level 1

Hello ATR

Thank you for your continued guidance. I followed your link, downloaded

Photoshop Elements-12 (that I had bought and registered in 2013),

un-installed my old copy and re-installed the new copy. It prompted me to

the Organize/Edit page. When I clicked EDIT I was asked to register my

product or else I would not be able to use it past seven days. I clicked on

the REGISTER tab on this window but received a reply that my PC was not

connected to Internet or that my clock was wrong. Both were fine (Internet

and clock). I repeated the procedure again, for two more times and got he

same response. I went online to register, independently, and was told that

my product was already registered in 2013 and that I could not register it

again. I could only see my 2013 purchase records in MY ACCOUNT and not

tonight's re-installation. Of course, I could not use Edit in PS

Elements-12 tonight.

Any ideas? Should I upgrade to 13 and finish with my misery, (though I

would have preferred not to be driven to additional costs)

Thank you so much and best regards

Rafik

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 9:58 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Rafik

Thanks for the update.

If you have already renamed the SLCache and SLStore Folders.....and....

If you are getting that message about the Internet connection/clock, then download and install the Adobe Application Manager, and determine if that takes care of that situation.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4773

Have you done that yet?

Do not consider Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 yet.

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thanks for exploring the troubleshooting. If you are given the opportunity, following "License this product" for those messages coming from 12.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 9. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                          rafikb75617205 Level 1

Thank you, again, ATR

Your follow-up and personal interest to find a solution, makes feel

important and not alienated. So professional and hands-on

Well, I used your link to download Adobe Application Manager, installed it

and double clicked it to see what it would give me and I was prompted to

enter my Adobe ID and Password, so as to sign in. I did, several times, but

kept receiving a message indicating the following:

"Unable to contact Adobe. Please connect to the Internet and try again."

I tried to enter PS Elements 12, Editor, but received the earlier reply

about Internet and Clock.

And this is where I stand, for now

Best regards

Rafik

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 10:22 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 10. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

rafikb

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news was not better. The updating of the Adobe Application Manager was my "secret" weapon to overcome that Internet Connect/Clock message. Please consider trying this

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files

Adobe

OOBE

PDApp

core

and, in the core Folder, should be the PDApp.exe which is the file name for the Adobe Application Manager.

Right click the PDApp.exe, select Properties from the drop down menu, and then click on the Details Tab of Properties. Do the Details show that you have the Application Manager v 9?

Also, did you double check the clock to make sure that it did not get set to another time zone accidentally? Probably not, but worthwhile checking.

You also mentioned that you could not find the hosts file. Did you ever find it? If not, it would be worthwhile to search for it. Is your computer set to show all hidden files and folders. See if the following helps you locate the hosts file in Windows Vista 32 bit.

How to Reset Hosts File to Default in Windows? - AskVG

We will be watching for your progress.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                              rafikb75617205 Level 1

Good evening ATR

Thank you for your extra professional foll-up.

Yes, I went into C drive, Program Files all the way to CORE and found that

my Ap Manager was indeed 9..106

I clicked the link you proovided as I could not find Hosts file and got a

detailed-page. I copied from it the following in search:

%windir%\System32\drivers\etc\

but could only see six fade folders (empty): Hosts, Hosts.old Imhost.Sam,

Network, Protocol, Services. I clicked on Host, and got a MS Windows

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Application Not Found

So I clicked on a link that was provided to me by the detailed-page

mentioned above and dowloaded FIX-IT 50267:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us?wt.mc_id=fixit_redirect&fi=50267 and

installed it. I restarted the PC but could not find the Host file and only

found the 6 empty ones I found before installing the Fix-It. I don't know

how I may have lost these applications. Is this, you think, what it takes

to run the program PS-Elements-12?

So that is it and I lay my struggle, one more time in your judicious support

Best regards and good night

Rafik

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 11:15 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 12. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Rafik

Sorry for the delay. I did not forget about you. Just got detoured in my email notifications.

1. At the present time, when you follow C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts,

can you find and see the following default hosts file Notepad document (Windows Vista 32 bit), and does it look like the following?

hostsfilecanada.JPG

The important question is do you see anything listed after # ::1  localhost, the last entry?

# 127.0.0.1   localhost

# ::1              localhost

If there is nothing after last entry # ::1   local host, then exit out of that area and forget about the hosts file. We will consider it a non factor at this time.

At this point, are we still working on the issue as

Photoshop Elements 12/12.1 Editor will not open

but

Premiere Elements 10 is OK and running?

Do not think about going to Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 or Premiere Elements 13/13.1 because this latest version 13 does not support Windows Vista.

This 13 does not support Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Mac OSX 10.7.

If the problem is solely in Photoshop Elements 12/12.1 installation and you have been through the remedies in the blog posts, then I would post the question in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum where experts like Barbara Brundage may have important insights on the matter.

Photoshop Elements

But, please review your whole thread to determine if there is anything there that needs following up on. When I had serious and long lasting issues with Photoshop Elements 12 install and Sign In, it was the renaming of the SLCache and SLStore Folders that brought an end to the seemingly endless no win troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                                  rafikb75617205 Level 1

Good evening, ATR, from Montreal

Yes my genuine Adobe PS Elements 10.00 is working and this is what I cling

to for now. As for the Windows/system 32/drivers/etc... I can get there but

all the files I see are blank and I have attached them for your review. I

may need to replace them, since I could have lost them while cleaning my

Temp files; I just cannot recall. If I reinstate them by some means, would

this solve the problem?

You see, I had an auto update for Application Manager this week but install

would not work because of the same issue: Not connected to internet. I can

assure you that I was using my Genuine Adobe PS Elements 12 until June 2015

with excellent photos. Perhaps it is those missing files... Could you help

me reinstate them in this folder? I am attaching the ones I see now... they

are empty

I have also gone through the whole thread and followed everything you said.

Following your reply to my question as to whether you may be able to help

me replace the attached files, I will revert to Elements Support and

Barbara Brundage or the likes

Many thanks ATR for your priceless support

Happy Sunday

Rafik

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 1:30 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 14. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Rafik

Greetings. Hope that the Photoshop Elements situation will be resolved soon. We will keep trying to find the way.

With regard to the hosts replacement if you have accidentally deleted it....I think that is going to be a matter of opening a new Notepad document and typing in the content that is characteristic of the default host file. See the following link for a how to suggestion

deleted original windows host file - Tech Support Forum

Here is some information on what the hosts file should be able to do for you.

The Hosts File and what it can do for you

I was pointing you to the hosts file to make sure that you did not have any entries in it that might be creating problems. If you have just the default hosts file, you should be OK.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Do not give up.

ATR

• 15. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                                      rafikb75617205 Level 1

Greetingsfrom Montreal,

Thank you for your patience. I was struck by a devastating Gastro after

visiting family in the hospital and just regained my energy.

Yes I tried all and did see exactly what you typed in the hosts file, which

I could not recognize last week. I typed cmd.exe and entered the lines that

your link pointed to. Nothing much happened and I even tried again Adobe

Elements 12.0 with no success.

I guess I am stalled again and will revert to Barbara Brundage, if you say

so

Many thanks

Rafik

www.filmmusicmontreal.com

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 10:03 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 16. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Rafik

Hope all is well now.

Please determine what Barbara Brundage and team have to say about your Photoshop Elements situation.

I will be thinking positive thoughts for your success with their Photoshop Elements input.

Depending on the outcome, I will think about this some more to see what else to explore in the way of a solution.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 17. Re: My Premier Elements 12 does not start and gives error MicroSoft Message for the 1st time in 2 years
                                          rafikb75617205 Level 1

Thank you ATR

I will communicate my problem with Barbara Brundage and will keep you

posted with all progress

Thank you for being there

Rafik

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:00 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>