17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2015 7:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.

fran3

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen. This was brought to the attention of Adobe in December of 2014 by others. If you import footage into Adobe Premiere Elements 11 or 12, you can eliminate black bars along the sides by setting presets properly and using Interpret Footage and Properties. Not so with Elements 13. What has been done to correct the problem? How can users be compensated for buying a program or upgrading to a program which has a serious defect?

Please advise.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fran3

What you are reporting is a known problem with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 which I have written about back in December 2014 and whenever the subject came up in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: 13 Serious Problem With .MOD Widescreen Files

I have not seen Adobe Staff or PRE_help address this matter whenever it appears in one of the threads here. The frequency of appearance of Adobe Staff or PRE_help is undefined. It is an Adobe call on ignore or fix in the next version or other.

This is not Adobe. Rather user to user. You need to contact Adobe to find out the why for the situation and what its plans are for correcting the situation to allow for the usual workaround if not a fix that will make the workaround not necessary.

Have you had an luck in converting the .mod widescreen to another format which would recognize the 16:9 flag of the .mod widescreen, if the 16:9 is really there.

ATR

Add On...Consider

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
            fran3 Level 1

ATR,

I saw your previous posts on this question. You are very knowledgeable and generous with your time to write about this. I recently made several videos, with great input of time and effort, using footage from my Canon FS200 camcorder. It annoyed me that I couldn't eliminate the black bars on the sides of the video clips. Now that I'm making a new video, I decided I would solve this problem once and for all. Based on what you wrote previously to someone else, I tried your directions using Adobe Premiere Elements 11. No problems there. My solution is to go back to Elements 11. Unless you have any new information which might be helpful. Adobe is unresponsive.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
              fran3 Level 1

I have another question:

If I have already edited some clips in Elements 13, is there any way to copy and paste the edited sections into Elements 11 to avoid having to re-edit the original clips?

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

fran3

Thanks for the reply.

For now I will assume that you are using 13/13.1 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer and are working in the NTSC TV Format.

I have something for you to try in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 using .mod widescreen import.

Open Premiere Elements to the Expert workspace

a. File Menu/New/Project...set the project preset to

NTSC DV Widescreen

b. Edit Menu/Preferences/General...remove the check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size.

c. Import your .mod widescreen into the project using the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the .mod widescreen to the Timeline Video Track 1.

d. click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the bounding box around the image there. Click drag one of the handles of the bounding box so that the image fills the monitor space to the no black borders condition.

Does that work for you?

If you are using a Windows computer, you can use the ClipMate software in conjunction with Premiere Elements to do a copy/paste insert between projects. But, I have described that only for copy/paste insert from project to project of the same version, same Adobe license. I have never tried the ClipMate technique for transferring content from one version to another version on the same computer. We can think about this some more if the above did not work for you.

There is always the export of content from Premiere Elements 13 project 1 and the import of that export into Premiere Element 11 project 2. We could discuss that also.

We will be watching for your follow up as your time permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                  fran3 Level 1

ATR,

It works. It seems to enlarge the image but it's looks OK. Thanks for

that tip.

Another questions:

I'm making a family video with a combination of photos and video clips from

various sources many of them as old as 25-30 years. What presets would you

use to optimize most of the images?

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 3:09 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

fran3

Thanks for the great news that the suggested workaround for working with mod widescreen in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 gave you satisfactory results. The workaround for this in versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 13 will not work in 13/13.1.

The other question that you present needs details with which to work, but generalizing....

Premiere Elements offers one project preset (project settings) per project. When you have more than one format of Timeline video and have photos that need to go into the Timeline, it becomes a matter of priorities. Typically, I will set the project settings (selection of the project preset) to match the properties of the prime video sources and then fits everything else into the Edit area monitor space established by the choice of preset. The question that usually draws most discussion is the sizing on the photos and to resize or not to resize before import into a project. There are those who offer "no need to resize", "resize, not to exceed values". Others want the video presentation without black borders, some do not care. Other considerations come into play depending on your intended output of the Timeline content and whether or not you are going to apply pan and zoom effects to the photos. And, you do not want to point a 4:3 project to a 16:9 export. I recently put together a very detailed blog post on the topic of Recommended Photo "Do Not Exceed" Pixel Dimensions" if you decide that it is necessary to decrease the size of your photo.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: About Recommended Photo "Do Not Exceed" Pixel Dimensions

Many of the choices go to the level of computer resources.

When you are ready for your vacation video, I would glad for the opportunity to comment on your workflow knowing

a. original pixel dimensions of the photos and how many photos

b. format of the prime video (and formats of any different video formats going into that Timeline)

c. intended export (to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc - DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

Thanks again for the follow up.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                      fran3 Level 1

ATR,

It's so nice of you to help me get this right. I've taught myself

everything I know about video editing and have been able to make some nice

family videos but I have a lot to learn. Each time I learn a little more.

I'm just starting a new project for a family wedding. It will entail

compiling a life story for the bride and groom. This necessitates scanning

old photos, using digital photos, and adding mostly old video clips. I

didn't count the pictures from my last project but there must have been

well over 100. I had some great video clips too. I edit all of my photos

with Windows Photo Gallery before adding them to Elements 13. I crop them

so as to optimize their fit to a widescreen while keeping the crucial parts

of the picture. I usually have some black borders which I would like to

eliminate. I always apply the pan and zoom effect. And generally I uncheck

the scale to frame size option.

Attached are screen shots of two photos and two video clips which I'll

be using in my new project. I'd love your comments. I have been making

DVD's and also uploading to Vimeo. Unfortunately, Vimeo is now blocking

uploads if they contain any song which is unlicensed even if you've

purchased the song and don't intend to use it for any purpose other than

personal or family use. I'm still digesting your Recommended Photo "Do Not

Exceed" Pixel Dimensions" post.

FYI, I have an HP Workstation with Windows 7 which I bought for purposes

of making my videos.

Many thanks,

Fran

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 6:51 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Fran

Thanks for the reply. For some reason the screenshots of photos and videos did not get posted.

Please see if the following helps in that regard

The specified item was not found.

With those videos, what do you think that you have - standard 4:3 as MPEG2.mpg or DV AVI or something else?

About the original photos, do they appear to have frame aspect ratio of 3:2, 4:3, or 16:9? The 3:2 frame aspect ratio is typically used for prints.

Please review the overall information, lots of details. But then I will customize my details to your specific requirements for your video presentation.

Even if the source files are varied and force black borders in some or all, there can be some very elegant video presentations done nonetheless.

But, we will let the details be our guidelines.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                          fran3 Level 1

The photos have these properties:

JPEG

- 1083 x 734; aspect ratio 1.0

- 939 x 616; aspect ratio 1.0

The videos have these properties:

MPEG

- 720 x 576; frame rate 25

- 720 x 480; frame rate 29

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 10:45 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Fran

Thanks.

Do you think that you will be going with the NTSC 29.97 frames per second frame rate or the PAL 25 frame per second frame rate. Viewing in places like USA or Europe/Australia? Tomorrow I will post some things to explore in a mini test run with your photos and videos.

ATR

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                              fran3 Level 1

ATR,

The video will be viewed in the US. The bride is from England which is

why her video clips have the 25 fps rate. However, there are only a few of

those clips. Most of the other video clips will be from the American groom

and would be the NTSC 29.97 fps. I would go with NTSC.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 11:22 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Fran

Thanks.

I will be back later today with a suggested workflow.

One more question...were the videos recorded as 4:3 standard or 16:9 standard widescreen?

To be continued shortly.

ATR

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                                  fran3 Level 1

Most of the video clips are over 15 years old so I'm pretty sure they were

4:3. A few more recent ones are 16:9. A nightmare?

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Fran

I did some mini test runs with Premiere Elements on Windows 7 64 bit, using project preset NTSC DV Standard and source media

still 1083 x 734 pixels

still 939 x 616 pixels

PAL 720 x 576 MPEG2.mpg standard 4:3

NTSC 720 x 480 MPEG2.mpg standard 4:3

Please try the above with the following details...

a. import the stills as is with disabled preference "Default Scale to Frame Size" in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Use the Pan and Zoom Tool when applying the pan and zoom effect to photos.

Use Motion Scale and Motion Position as needed for the photos displaying in the Edit area monitor.

This scheme envisions no black borders.

b. import the videos..same disabled "Default Scale to Frame Size"....if any black borders, use Motion Scale just to the point where the black borders are not seen. The NTSC 720 x 480 MPEG2 .mpg standard 4:3 should be OK as is with its NTSC frame rate of 29.97 frames per second. However, the use of PAL 720 x 576 MPEG2.mpg standard 4:3 at 25 frames per second in this NTSC project is open to question. But, in my mini test run, I had no problems using it as is on the Timeline and no problems with the burn to as NTSC_Dolby DVD. This needs exploration with your specific PAL footage. Most of the online information says, for NTSC project, use a dedicated PAL to NTSC converter so that the PAL file is imported into Premiere Elements as a NTSC file. The focus in this matter is the frame rate 29.97 vs 25 frames per second.

c. the above source media could also be used in a NTSC DVD Widescreen project with the same steps in the Edit area monitor whose space is now for NTSC DVD Widescreen instead of NTSC DV Standard/

Please let us know if any of that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                                      fran3 Level 1

Thanks so much. I will be working on this project over the next couple of

weeks after I get back from a week's vacation. I will get back to you and

let you know how things are going. It's amazing how helpful you have been

and how knowledgeable you are.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 3:41 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 16. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                                        fran3 Level 1

ATR,

I was able to try your suggestions and they work fine. I think we've got

it. Thanks again.

Fran

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 3:41 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 17. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 13 does not Interpret Footage and Properties correctly for .mod widescreen.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Fran

Thanks for the wonderful news.

Best wishes for a wonderful video presentation that will be enjoyed by all.

ATR