9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2015 1:59 PM by Jao vdL

Using LR CC 2015 on 2009 Mac Pro - Need new Video card due, what to put in?

El_Jeffe

I had to switch off using the video card in the new CC update, so now LR barely runs. Sluggish isn't the word, it's almost unusable its so slow (Individual develop adjusts can take 10 secs to show!!).

This is a 2009 Mac pro, so it's obviously at the end of it's life cycle, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on the latest and greatest Video card, but I need one that allows me to switch back to letting LR use the video card for processing till I have the funds to invest in a new computer (and time to research what options are best).

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Using LR CC 2015 on 2009 Mac Pro - Need new Video card due, what to put in?
          dj_paige Level 9

How do you know it is the video card causing the slowness?

If you get a video card, but you "don't want to spend a lot of money on the latest and greatest", you might not see much of a benefit. If you are not using a 4K or 5K monitor, a video card probably won't produce much of a benefit.

I think the real problem is not the video card.

If your CPU is really typical of a 2009 Mac Pro, it could be the CPU that is causing the slowness.

Why don't you tell us the complete specs of your computer, along with monitor size in pixels.

• 2. Re: Using LR CC 2015 on 2009 Mac Pro - Need new Video card due, what to put in?
            El_Jeffe Level 1

Mac Pro (early 2009)

2.66 Quad-core Intel Xenon

24 GB RAM (1066 MHz DDR3 ECC)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB

Yosemite 10.10.3

Adobe CC 2015

• 3. Re: Using LR CC 2015 on 2009 Mac Pro - Need new Video card due, what to put in?
              dj_paige Level 9

Paige said:

Why don't you tell us the complete specs of your computer, along with monitor size in pixels.

I don't see the monitor information.

And as long as I'm still asking questions, how large is a typical image taken by your current camera, in pixels or megapixels (please don't tell me megabtyes, this is meaningless information in this context)

• 5. Re: Using LR CC 2015 on 2009 Mac Pro - Need new Video card due, what to put in?
                dj_paige Level 9

As stated by MadManChan2000, a GPU (even the best available) will not show much of a speed improvement on a monitor of this size. See: GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015) in which he states: "The GPU performance improvement in Develop is more noticeable on higher-resolution displays such as 4K. The bigger the display, the bigger the win."

I am not really a MAC expert, but if your system is too slow now, I still say the CPU is the problem, you are trying to run 2015 state of the art software on a 2009 computer. Maybe someone who is a MAC expert can chime in here with their opinion.

• 6. Re: Using LR CC 2015 on 2009 Mac Pro - Need new Video card due, what to put in?
                  El_Jeffe Level 1

DJ, I really appreciate your help, but if you're not a Mac person, I'm not sure you're really the best person to be replying to hardware questions that are specific to Macs. I do appreciate your thoughts though.

I called Adobe, had India take over my computer, made a bunch of adjustments, it was still slow, so we made a new catalog for a job I'm trying to get out the door and, fingers crossed, that catalog is working better. Once my job is processed and out the door I need to call Adobe again and see where the issue is. Tech support thought it could possibly be a corrupt catalog and I'd need to create a new catalog and import all 150K files I have into it.....

Tech support were pretty noncommittal when I asked about video cards and having to uncheck "using Graphics Processor" in performance part of prefs. Something he wasn't telling me there.

In the meantime. Mac users. Suggestions on how to bring a 2009 Mac pro up to speed for 2015 CC, using LR, Photoshop and Premiere without dropping more money than I'd need to invest in a new computer.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Using LR CC 2015 on 2009 Mac Pro - Need new Video card due, what to put in?
                    dj_paige Level 9

Corrupt catalog? Causing develop actions to be slow? I never heard of such a thing. This fits nicely in the "nonsense" category. But anyway, this has nothing to do with Mac, it is the same on Windows. And importing all 150K files into a new catalog? Unless you have clear distinct knowledge of some catalog corruption, I wouldn't waste my time. And you don't have such knowledge, if the catalog was corrupted, most likely it wouldn't open or if it did open, there would be obvious errors (not slowdowns, but errors, e.g. information being improperly displayed on the screen)

Develop actions are slow (with GPU acceleration turned off) because either your processor isn't fast enough, or possibly because you don't have enough memory. Again, this isn't a Mac issue. The only place where my lack of Mac knowledge comes in is with regards to evaluating your specific hardware.

• 8. Re: Using LR CC 2015 on 2009 Mac Pro - Need new Video card due, what to put in?
                      El_Jeffe Level 1

Hmm.

Apologies. This is where things become so frustrating. I'd read elsewhere that LR's use of Video cards was causing problems, so assumed this was issue.

As you can see I've got 24 GB of RAM and, while a 2.66 Quad-core Intel Xenon GPU is a bit old, it shouldn't be that old that it causes Develop to become, essentially, unusable.

I've got 500 images to process and get out to a client asap now I've got this small catalog working (hopefully!!), but I'll come back in a day or two, maybe on a new thread, to see what the forum thinks the problem may be and how to solve it.

Thanks!!  

• 9. Re: Using LR CC 2015 on 2009 Mac Pro - Need new Video card due, what to put in?
                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should check whether GPU acceleration is for some reason enabled in Preferences_>performance. If it is TURN IT OFF. It will only slow develop down on your machine. Getting a higher end graphics card will not speed up Lightroom on your machine as it does not have the bandwidth to the graphics card from main memory that you need and as dj notes, your display is not high resolution enough for there to be any possible gains.