5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2015 6:38 PM by A.T. Romano

When I import a video clip from a file on my computer, that contains an audio track, the audio doesn't import or playback or render.  Only the video portion imports.  What am I missing?

donb85073146

When I import a video clip from a file on my computer, that contains an audio track, the audio doesn't import or playback or render.  Only the video portion imports.  What am I missing?

• 1. Re: When I import a video clip from a file on my computer, that contains an audio track, the audio doesn't import or playback or render.  Only the video portion imports.  What am I missing?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

donb

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you importing the file into the Premiere Elements Editor phase of the program and have this audio issue?

a. Does the file import only as a video file (you see video on Video Track 1, but no clip on Audio 1)?

or

b. Does it import as video and audio but you cannot hear audio from the playback of the file, video on Video 1 and audio on Audio 1?

What are the properties of the source video? Brand/model/settings for the camcorder that recorded the file would give us the information that we need....including file extension and AAC audio or Dolby Digital and  2 channel or 5.1 channel, etc.

Does any of the issue involve import of the file into the Elements Organizer and its playback in the Elements Organizer player?

Let us start here and then decide what next. Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: When I import a video clip from a file on my computer, that contains an audio track, the audio doesn't import or playback or render.  Only the video portion imports.  What am I missing?
            donb85073146 Level 1

Hi

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Premier Elements 11 on Windows 8

Are you importing the file into the Premiere Elements Editor phase of the program and have this audio issue?

a. Does the file import only as a video file (you see video on Video Track 1, but no clip on Audio 1)?

Yes, the original clip has audio and video, but only the video imports... the audio track doesn't show up on the mixer/track display nor does it play back. Only the video plays.

or

b. Does it import as video and audio but you cannot hear audio from the playback of the file, video on Video 1 and audio on Audio 1?

What are the properties of the source video? Brand/model/settings for the camcorder that recorded the file would give us the information that we need....including file extension and AAC audio or Dolby Digital and  2 channel or 5.1 channel, etc.\

It's actually a video clip that I created on Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12.  It was rendered as a AVCHD 1920 x 1080 60i file.  When I playback the rendered video on Windows Media Player or any other viewer, I can hear the audio.  It's only when I import it into Elements that the audio is stripped. The audio and video rendering specs are:

Audio: 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM

Video: 29.970 fps, 720x480 Lower field first, NTSC DV Wide

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.212

Does any of the issue involve import of the file into the Elements Organizer and its playback in the Elements Organizer player? Yes.

Let us start here and then decide what next. Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: When I import a video clip from a file on my computer, that contains an audio track, the audio doesn't import or playback or render.  Only the video portion imports.  What am I missing?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

donb

Please clarify....

You create the original clip in Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12

You export it as AVCHD 1920 x 1080 60i (which would be 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second).

Question: What is the file extension of this export from Sony Movie Studio Platinium 12, .mov or .mp4 or something else?

Am I OK with your details so far?

What I am not clear on is what is this....where are you getting the following from?

The audio and video rendering specs are:

Is this the result from exporting the  AVCHD 1920 x 1080 60i from your Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit to give you a 720 x 480 widescreen file?

When the AVCHD 1920 x 1080 60i is on the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline, you say that there is not audio part. So, no sound.

Consequently, the export 720 x 480 Widescreen should have an audio part with no sound. Is that right?

What are the audio settings that you are setting for the export from the Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12?

ATR

• 4. Re: When I import a video clip from a file on my computer, that contains an audio track, the audio doesn't import or playback or render.  Only the video portion imports.  What am I missing?
                donb85073146 Level 1

Hi,

I'm not "exporting" the video clip from Movie Studio. I'm rendering a fully completed audio/video clip from Movie Studio. It plays on any viewer. When import the finished file into Elements, as I do with many other media files, it strips the audio and only shows/plays the video - it's as if the audio is muted,,, except there is no audio portion.

If it's a completed fully intact media clip, why does Elements strip the audio when I drag it onto the timeline?

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: When I import a video clip from a file on my computer, that contains an audio track, the audio doesn't import or playback or render.  Only the video portion imports.  What am I missing?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

donb

To express the process in which a Timeline is encoded to a file saved to the hard drive or burned to disc, two terms can be used Render or Export. In Premiere Elements there is also a Timeline rendering that has to do with previewing before the encoding process.

Apparently the Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 people refer to this encoding process as Rendering.

https://www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/441-how-to-render -1080p-video-movie-studio-platinum-12

It sure sounds to me like what I have described as export and need confirmation on.

Bottom line: if you are not getting audio from what you are rendering/exporting from Sony, then the audio codec or some other properties of the Sony rendering/exporting is not supported by Premiere Elements. We need to explore that with details of the "rendering" settings for Sony to know what you are bringing into Premiere Elements. Besides that information, I am still looking for clarification on

What I am not clear on is what is this....where are you getting the following from?

The audio and video rendering specs are:

as well as

You export it as AVCHD 1920 x 1080 60i (which would be 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second).

Question: What is the file extension of this export from Sony Movie Studio Platinium 12, .mov or .mp4 or something else?

Are we now in sync on information needed. If Sony is doing something else besides encoding your Sony Timeline source, then your rendering = my exporting.

ATR