1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 14, 2015 2:05 AM by Kinneret

right-to-left issues in epub

Kinneret

For a long time i have been waiting for some reasonable solution of this problem.

You have both RTL and LTR text, along with characters like " or ,

When exporting an epub, one can find a total mess of all of this.

For example:

this is a text before character formatting, but it has the paragraph style (with Default character direction mark)

01.png

so far so good, but the comma is not at correct place

now i set 1 char.style to english text (red), and 2 style to footnote reference (blue)

02.png

oups! footnote run to the right side, but the comma is correct now

RTL text remains without char. style

And the most interesting - the epub preview:

03.png

No words.

Let's see the code:

p class="text"><span class="english" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">&quot;</span><span class="english" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">Quelqu&apos;un qui croit n&apos;a aucune de peur, capitaine,&quot;</span><span class="foot"><span id="footnote-003-backlink"><a class="_idFootnoteLink" href="hachaiim-4.xhtml#footnote-003">4</a></span></span> אמר נואר.</p>

So the code is written ok - first (orange) we have a quotation mark, then (green) - english text with final quotation, then (blue) - footnote mark, and then - RTL text.

But no one device understands it, and even the best ever - iBooks.

What and why is the reason for such behaviour?

Now the most interesting:

I manually change the code, moving the orange part

p class="text"><span class="english" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">Quelqu&apos;un qui croit n&apos;a aucune de peur, capitaine,&quot;</span><span class="foot"><span id="footnote-003-backlink"><a class="_idFootnoteLink" href="hachaiim-4.xhtml#footnote-003">4</a></span></span><span class="english" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">&quot;</span> אמר נואר.</p>

and it looks:

04.png

much better! only the footnote is bad, but at least it looks like smth possible to read.

Why do I have to change a code (in not logical way) to reach more accurate visual of my text in epub?