12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 2:55 AM by robdavis101

HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section

sd2528
      I downloaded the demo of the latest version RoboHelp and compiled a .chm file. I successfully enabled my program to recognize that we are using HTML help and can get the file to launch automatically. However whenever the help file is launched from the program I get the following error.

HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section

I've checked to project settings and I have a .hm file under Map IDs. I've verified that the HID and number in the program match the HID and number in the .hm file and the HID and number in RoboHelp. Is there something else I have to do in order for the [MAP] section to be compiled into the .chm file?
        • 1. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
          Level 2
          Open your .hhp file in Notepad or other text editor. Scroll down to find a [MAP] section. You should see "#include projectname.hh" or whatever your map file name is. Sometimes the extension is .h, in newer versions .hm. You should also have an [ALIAS] section. This will contain an .ali file. This is the file that links the help ID to a topic. This is the file that RoboHelp creates from the Map IDs dialog. Both of these files are text files and it is instructive to open them and check their structure.

If both of these files are present, the compiled project should work correctly. The only other time I've seen it not work is when there is a syntax error in the section above the MAP section. Then the compiler has been known to truncate the project without warning.

JMC
          • 2. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
            sd2528 Level 1
            Just and FYI the problem was with the format of the .hm file. The old version of RoboHelp would accept entries in the form

RANDOM_HELP_ID 0x00001

The current version would recognize the file in the project, display the MAP ID's correctly but the .chm file wouldn't work.

I updated the files to the new format

#define RANDOM_HELP_ID 0x00001

and now everything works properly.
            • 3. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
              EileenPalsson Level 1

I'd like to add something to this. I got the same error message after upgrading from RoboHelp 7 to RoboHelp 8. It turned out that something in the upgrade process wiped out the project's ALI project. It was blank. After restoring the old ALI file and recompiling, context sensitive help worked again. Hope this helps someone else who finds this thread the same way I did....

/Eileen

• 4. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
                Kronio69

I found this older post, and I am having the same error message appear when I open the .chm file through my desktop application.  I tried your suggestions, and the person's reply below yours, but nothing is working and I'm ready to rip my hair out!

We are NOT using CSH as of yet, so why do I need this anyway?  (We plan on implementing it much later down the road).  Is it possible to turn this feature off, and it might possibly remove that message?

Well, here's more information:

"HH_HELP_CONTENT called without a [MAP] section" (HTML Help Author Message)

1.  There is a [MAP] section in our ProCare Rx.hhp file.  Not sure what it's referring to?

2.  It's a default one, BSSCDefault.h - but when opened, the file is blank.  When I tried to "Atuo-map" all my topics, after compiling, I no longer received the message upon opening the .chm, but then only BLANK pages displayed instead of my text for the topics.

Any suggestions?

• 5. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
                  Kronio69 Level 1

ALL -

If you stumble on this discussion, and are still receiving this error message, it's because you need to have your WHOLE RoboHelp directory copied to the c:\drive, NOT just the .chm file

Hope this helps.

• 6. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
                    Kronio69 Level 1

... and now it stopped working again.  Even though I'm working from a local drive, I am STILL receiving the "HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section"...  whyyyy am I receiving this error message when I click on Help from my application!!?!?

I don't know why, nothing changed.  Just came in, and all the sudden, that error is appearing again.  I just don't understand.  Anyone have any suggestions?!?!?!?

• 7. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
                      Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

HI there

When I saw the "solution" of having the RoboHelp project files in the same location as the CHM I knew it wasn't likely the answer.

The fact you are seeing this message seems to infer that the call being used to open the help is a Context Sensitive call. Likely the developer that coded the function that is calling the help specified that it should be looking for a Map ID. And you probably haven't configured a Map file.

Question here. Does the issue only surface when you open the help from your associated application? Or does it surface when you just double-click the CHM file to open it?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 8. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
                        Kronio69 Level 1

Hi Rick (you have been invaluable!!!),

Well, regarding the "solution" of having the RoboHelp project files in the same location as the .chm, I saw a discussion that stated that the whole project should be on the local drive, and it did work.  Once.  :-(

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1.  Yes, the message only surfaces when I click the Help button from our associated application.  When I just double-click the .chm, it works perfectly, no message.  However, when my developer does it from his machine, he doesn't have this problem at all.  He's tried it elsewhere, and he can't replicate it.

2.  The developer has been very... hands-off about this project, and is not happy about being involved; therefore, he has NOT coded much regarding the function that is calling the help.  He has no idea how RoboHelp works (do I!?!?) and has not specified that it should be looking for a Map ID.  It's all my doing via the program; however, I did NOT specify any Map ID's either, so I don't know what's going on here.

3.  Therefore, is there a way to turn Map ID's OFF via the RoboHelp program?  We are not using CSH at this time (later on, we plan to).

4.  Do you recommend that I keep my whole project on the network drive, or should I just use it to back it up there, and work from my local drive instead?

Again, your patience with me is admirable.  Thank you, thank you!

• 9. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
                          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello again

I'm pleased to be helpful.

Kronio69 wrote:

1.  Yes, the message only surfaces when I click the Help button from our associated application.  When I just double-click the .chm, it works perfectly, no message.  However, when my developer does it from his machine, he doesn't have this problem at all.  He's tried it elsewhere, and he can't replicate it.

Sorry, but if it creates an issue only when your developer's application calls for the CHM, there's an issue with the manner in which they are specifying the linkage. I really wish I could help more with this, but I'm not a developer. I do know enough to know that they can specify many things when they call the CHM file. They can specify that the TOC tab be the active tab, or the Index tab. They can issue the call in a manner where they are supplying a contxt ID and in that case the CHM would have a Map ID file that you or the developer have created and agreed upon.

Kronio69 wrote:

2.  The developer has been very... hands-off about this project, and is not happy about being involved; therefore, he has NOT coded much regarding the function that is calling the help.  He has no idea how RoboHelp works (do I!?!?) and has not specified that it should be looking for a Map ID.  It's all my doing via the program; however, I did NOT specify any Map ID's either, so I don't know what's going on here.

Unfortunately we hear about developers that have this attitude from time to time. My guess is that he feels the help is unnecessary. After all, his application should be so intuitive that it NEVER needs help. So he is likely viewing the help system as a necessary evil he must put up with. Not to worry, his job isn't to know how to create help files using RoboHelp. That's your role. All he needs to know is how to properly issue a call from whatever application he uses to code in (C+, C++, C#, Visual Studio, Delphi, etc.) to properly open a CHM file. You likely won't win any points by suggesting that this falls squarely in his lap, but perhaps it will be helpful if you explain that the application simply needs to open the help. Maybe even suggest that he ask his peers how they open a CHM from within their development environments.

I googled the error message and found this link. Perhaps share with your developer and see what they think.

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/w-p/help/html/article.php/c6513/

Kronio69 wrote:

3.  Therefore, is there a way to turn Map ID's OFF via the RoboHelp program?  We are not using CSH at this time (later on, we plan to).

Well, that's just it. Map IDs are *OFF* by default. Actually, you don't really turn them off or on. What happens is that you create a file that stores the Map ID relationship. Then, if the application calls the help where it is supplying a Map ID, a lookup is performed by the help engine to try and open the topic assigned to the ID.

Kronio69 wrote:

4.  Do you recommend that I keep my whole project on the network drive, or should I just use it to back it up there, and work from my local drive instead?

With RoboHelp HTML, your best approach is to never Never NEVER have your project stored on a network drive and work on it while it is there. Best practice is to always, Always, ALWAYS keep the project on your local C drive. Copy it to the network for backup purposes. That's fine. You just never want to open RoboHelp, then click File > Open > Project and navigate to a network location to open and make changes.

When I facilitate a RoboHelp class I explain it this way. Think of your RoboHelp project as you would think about a carton of eggs. Consider the fridge to be like your local C drive. When you wanna cook eggs, you open the door and get the eggs out. No problem. Consider the fact that if you want, there is nothing stopping you from taking the carton of eggs out to a busy intersection and placing them in the middle of it. What happens when you want to cook eggs? You have to dodge traffic darting back and forth and the eggs may become broken. That's the equivalent of placing the project on a network server and attempting to work on it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

• 10. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
                            Kronio69 Level 1

Rick - you're help is fantastic!!!!  (I hope you get paid for this - and paid well!!!)

Anyway, going off this topic for a moment, do you have any saved pod enviornments (.RHS? files) saved somewhere that one may use as a "template"??  It is not easy to get these arranged in a workable state!

Thanks again!!!!

• 12. Re: HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section
                              robdavis101

Hi

The 'HH_HELP_CONTEXT called without a [MAP] section'  message has been a constant problem. I cannot establish any consistent build method which gets me a working .chm file. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

For the record:

- I have an application that responds correctly to a correctly-built .chm. It has several hundred mapped points and works with many old versions of .

.chms (many built before RoboHelp, using an older tool.)

- I am importing a Word file that has embedded 'TopicAlias' footnotes, and these are mapping to the IDs. (Some mapping works automatically when the HTML output is generated, and some I update by hand - I havent identified why some dont work automatically)

- I have tried all the variations I can find, such as making the builds with the Robohelp Starter 'Import Word File' function, and also tried building a blank project and THEN importing, and bulding an 'Application Help' project, deleting the boiler-plate stuff, and then importing the Word file. I have also tried 'Linking' to the Word file.

- I am importing a MAP file (*.h) which I built from the list of IDs that the Developer gave me.

- When I gereate output from RoboHelp, I get a .chm file. In most builds, this does not work, and I get the dreaded HH message. SOMETIMES, it works correctly, but I cannot isolate what the difference is.

- The Robohelp project file DOES show a MAP Section and an ALIAS section, and they appear to have the correct 'includes'.

If my builds had NEVER worked, then I would assume that there is a fundemental problem with one of the inputs - the Word file, or the .h Map file. Or that the .ALI file was being built incorrect. Or that the project file didn't have the correct ALIAS and MAP sections. Or that the directory structure was wrong.

But it works sometimes - and I cannot see why it is not consistent.

My Help file is pretty big - its a 300page Word document with over 500 graphics - so each build takes significant time, and gives me lots of opportunity to get frustrated!!

Any suggestions will be GRATEFULLY accepted!

Rob