5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2015 11:31 AM by K.Daube

Script OK in FM12/13, not in FM10/11

K.Daube Level 1

Dear friends and experts,

I can run without problems any of my installed FMs (6 ... 13). The last installed was FM 13 aka 2015.

In all FMs since version 10 I can run scripts - but have no clue which ESTK they are using.

On drive C I find ExtendScript Toolkit CS4, ...CS5 and ...CS6. They have been installed with the various FMs

When testing my script (developing in FM12) in FM 10 or 11 I get an error on line 11: undefined is not an object

Which cure might be necessary to run the script also in older FMs?

function CreateBibDoc () {
      // ----------------------------------------------- create new doc from template and fill it
      // returns created doc in function
        giLvlTrace += 1; ZTrace ("CreateBibDoc");
        var j, uniqueCitations= [], nUnique, nItems, insText, newDoc, pgf, textloc, j; 
        var writeFile = GetDocPath () + gsCollectFile; 
      // create array of unique citations and place them in the doc
        uniqueCitations = SortUnique (gasFndCitations);
        nUnique= uniqueCitations.length;
      // createa new file 
        newDoc = OpenTemplate ();             // FM-10/11 error FM-12/13 OK
        pgf = newDoc.MainFlowInDoc.FirstTextFrameInFlow.FirstPgf;  // get first pgf in flow
        for (j = 0; j < nUnique; j += 1) {
          textLoc = new TextLoc (pgf, 0);  
          insText = uniqueCitations[j];
          newDoc.AddText (textLoc, "[["+insText+"]]"+ "\x08" + "{"+insText+"}"); // \t inserts a NL...
         if (j < nUnique -1){
          pgf = newDoc.NewSeriesPgf(pgf);               // add a paragraph 
          }
        }
        giLvlTrace -= 1;
        return newDoc;
      } // --- end CreateBibDoc

function OpenTemplate () {
      // ----------------------------------------------- Open template file
      // return the Open file in the function
        giLvlTrace += 1; ZTrace ("OpenTemplate");
        var tplDir, tplFile, openParams, openReturnParams, oFile; 

tplDir = GetScriptPath (); 
        tplFile = tplDir + "\\" + gsTemplate; 
      //  oFile = SimpleOpen (tplFile, true); // Opens the dir of the active document
        openParams = GetTplParams ();  
        openReturnParams =  new PropVals();  
        oFile = Open (tplFile, openParams, openReturnParams);  
        giLvlTrace -= 1;
        return oFile;
      } // --- end OpenTemplate

• 1. Re: Script OK in FM12/13, not in FM10/11
          rombanks Level 1

Hi Klaus,

I usually get this error when trying to run a script while it's open in ESTK and "Extendscript Toolkit CSx" is by mistake selected as the target application instead of FM.

HTH,

Roman

• 2. Re: Script OK in FM12/13, not in FM10/11
            frameexpert Level 4

Regarding Roman's response, you can add this to the top of your scripts to force the ExtendScript Toolkit to use the FrameMaker engine.

#target framemaker

-Rick

• 3. Re: Script OK in FM12/13, not in FM10/11
              rombanks Level 1

Hi Rick,

BTW, for some reason, when a script is open in ESTK, this line does not change the target app to FM, as if ESTK ignores it.

Best regards,

Roman

• 4. Re: Script OK in FM12/13, not in FM10/11
                K.Daube Level 1

Rick, Roman: Thank You for answers. However...
                The #target instruction has no influence in my environment. As stated in various posts I can not run scripts from the ESTK. ESTK reports a "missing link".
                For example in FM-11 I get this error when first opening ESK with File > Scripts > New Script…, then opening the script in ESTK and run it.
                FM11-ESTK6-target-error.jpg
                I get the same error when trying to do so with FM-12 or FM-13:FM13-ESTK6-target-error.png

Hence I have the script open in my editor (EditPad Pro 7), save it. Then in FM I open the script catalgoue, refresh and run the script.
                IMHO the current problem is in the FM-10/11 engine. But I do not undestand the connection between FM ($HOME\ExtendScript.DLL) and C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Utilities - CS6\ExtendScript Toolkit CS6 (which reports ESTK version 3.8.0.12).

On my wife's mini-PC (small screen, slow)   with only 1 FM version installed, I can run scripts with ESTK . But I need to test in various FM versions ...

Probably this ESTK version is to high for FM-10/11 (for the current problem) and I must find means to test with the lower versions (CS5: 3.5.1.59; CS4: 3.0.0.41). Unfortunately I have no success with virtual machines - they are awfully slow on my machine (ThinkPad T400 with docked peripherals). So my test environment may not be clean enough.

• 5. Re: Script OK in FM12/13, not in FM10/11
                  K.Daube Level 1

I have found the source of the problem:

In OpenTemplate I open an FM12 file - there is no adeaquate error-handling for this

• Having changed the script-ini file to read a MIF-12 file instead, everything is OK
                  • However this creates a lot of error entries in the console log of FM-10 which will annoy the user.
                  • Hence I have to provide individual files (versions FM10 ... FMcurrent)
                  • Better yet, i provide an FM10 version of the template file. This does not create open error thanks to GetTplParams which sets (among others)
                  • j = GetPropIndex(params, Constants.FS_FileIsOldVersion); 
                      params[j].propVal.ival = Constants.FV_DoOK;

So my problem is solved! Thanks for listening!