7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2015 7:46 AM by Please Help Branched to a new discussion.

How to use the old RAM Preview method?

LinusZoll

Hi, I hate the live preview! Is there a way to use the old method, where you wait a bit and then play it without any laggs, if you don't have a powerful machine?

• 1. Re: How to use the old RAM Preview method?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, you should have kept previous versions installed. Second, even in my puny  Mac Mini from 2011, CC 2015 will preview just fine if I follow the new techniques. Spacebar>wait>Spacebar again to loop>Spacebar again to stop. There are options to change the playback options and to set priority to length or frame rate, There are some audio glitches and only a few of them can be worked around. Warp stabilizer in CC15 can completely foul up previews, but 2015 is not entirely unusable for production, there are just projects that you need to have previous versions available to complete efficiently while the bugs are worked out. Unfortunately for Adobe and for many users 2015 is getting a bad wrap because many of the bugs are showing up in the normal workflow of more users than expected. Change is often very hard and change with glitches is maddening.

• 2. Re: How to use the old RAM Preview method?
            LinusZoll Level 1

Thanks for the answer. I've read the blog article, that you should keep the old version after I already installed the new one. And on complex scenes the live preview of course laggs. I understand that THIS is not Adobe's fault, but I still want the option of the old preview.

Will install the old version now again and reinstall all the plugins. :-(

• 3. Re: How to use the old RAM Preview method?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6
              LinusZoll wrote: Will install the old version now again and reinstall all the plugins. :-(

Yeah, wasn't it thoughtful of Adobe to rig that installer to automatically destroy your existing software?   So helpful and kind......

• 4. Re: How to use the old RAM Preview method?
                timdan Level 1

Yeah... with cloud how exactly does one keep the old version? 2015 CC is almost useless thanks to the new Preview. I desperately miss RAM Preview. It worked just fine, and I don't understand why they had to "improve" that, when we still can't make Illustrator text editable, or turn smart object in Photoshop into shapes! So many other ways they could have improved the software instead of ruining it. Whoever suggested this change has never animated a day in their life.

• 5. Re: How to use the old RAM Preview method?
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

timdan wrote:

Yeah... with cloud how exactly does one keep the old version?

This page shows how: Creative Cloud Delivering More Choice for Installations

If you've already removed them, this page shows how to install old versions (including CC, CC 2014, and even CS6): How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

timdan wrote:

I desperately miss RAM Preview. It worked just fine, and I don't understand why they had to "improve" that,

The new previewing system isn't what they are attempting to improve (being able to have a preview play while you continue to work is just a useful byproduct). The main improvement they've been going for is a complete overhaul of how AE uses system resources. Multiprocessing is old and broken. It was a temporary hack to make AE work on modern, multi-core machines. It sucked. Certain expressions or certain effects would kill it and AE would be down to rendering on one core again. Also, some effects (like shading in Trapcode Particular) would flicker weirdly with multiprocessing turned on. There were many other issues, but the main core of AE was not good now and it would only get worse over time. This new previewing system (which is about to be improved massively with an update this week) is only a first, baby step towards a much faster and more modern After Effects.

Also, don't overlook the much improved expression handling and snappier interface of CC 2015, not to mention the integration of Libraries as well!

CC 2015 has some issues, yes, but most of the known issues are going to be resolved in an update that is coming soon (hopefully today, according to Adobe folks) so try it again once that's out.

I understand that change can be difficult, this page might help explain some of the differences and even how you can make it a bit more like the old way: all about previews in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5)

• 6. Re: How to use the old RAM Preview method?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Many issues with previewing are fixed in the After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update: http://adobe.ly/1Il5JYe

• 7. Re: How to use the old RAM Preview method?
                      Please Help

I hate it as well... I am not going to use 2015 until this is fixed! Boycott AE 2015! When you "Live preview" with audio it plays every frame of audio one frame at a time... when you turn the audio off and Live preview it will not play the audio and you need to re-Live preview everything again. HORRIBLE CHOICES Adobe... HORRIBLE HORRIBLE CHOICES!!!