4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2015 7:06 AM by CattieC

How do you preserve ratings when copying files to external hard drives?

CattieC

In an effort to clean up my laptop and make space for more photos before traveling this summer, I have been going through all my photos from the last three years and flagged and color rated them in Lightroom, so I can easily go back and filter out the ones that are for art prints, blog posts, etc. I have done a bit of developing / editing on most as well. Now, I am copying all these photos to external hard drives before deleting them from my laptop. But when I looked in Lightroom at one of the folders on one of the ext hard drives last night, none of my ratings or edits were there. What am I doing wrong? I'm copying them by just dragging them over in Finder.

• 1. Re: How do you preserve ratings when copying files to external hard drives?
          dj_paige Level 9

You must either

1. Move (not copy) the photos to the external HD using Lightroom; or
          2. The preferred solution, move the photos using your operating system and then reconnect in Lightroom via Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders — you should try this to see if the ratings can be recovered.

Please note: the default mode of operation does not store edits or ratings or any other user created metadata with the photo files.

• 2. Re: How do you preserve ratings when copying files to external hard drives?
            CattieC Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply dj_paige! Option 1 will not work since I am copying them to several different external HDs (to be kept in several different locations in case one place burns down or is broken into, etc.), but so for option 2, if I just plug the ext hd in (once all the images have been removed from my laptop) and then do the "locate image" thing, the ratings would still be there?

And I have to ask what this means:

Please note: the default mode of operation does not store edits or ratings or any other user created metadata with the photo files.

Is it not kept even within Lightroom? I understand that I can't see Lightroom ratings in Bridge for example, but I assumed that opening them in lightroom would show the ratings regardless of where they are stored.

• 3. Re: How do you preserve ratings when copying files to external hard drives?
              dj_paige Level 9

if I just plug the ext hd in (once all the images have been removed from my laptop) and then do the "locate image" thing, the ratings would still be there?

Yes, if you haven't also deleted the photos from Lightroom's Library Module somewhere along the way.

And I have to ask what this means:

Well, it means exactly what it says. The user created metadata is stored within the Lightroom database, and in Lightroom's default mode of operation, this information is not stored anywhere else. That's why you have to reconnect in Lightroom.

I am copying them to several different external HDs (to be kept in several different locations in case one place burns down or is broken into, etc.),

With regards to this, I think a much better idea is to use dedicated backup software (there are freeware versions available) that automate the process and eliminate the need for human interaction to create backups. The problem with this being done manually is that there will be a time when you either are too busy or just plain forget to do it, or you do an incomplete job, etc. This eliminates all sorts of human errors and omissions.

• 4. Re: How do you preserve ratings when copying files to external hard drives?
                CattieC Level 1

Thanks so much for helping to clarify this!