9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 7:28 PM by jeffs25940394

How can I sign document without creating a certificate?

jonathana25635355

We are trying to figure out how to add a block for signatures on our contracts. We want to be able to open a PDF document, click the block and have an individual sign with a pen or finger on a tablet or signature pad. We don't want to create the electronic signature with certificates as they requires them to create an account, etc. Is there a signature box that can be added to a document for this purpose? Can we just open, scroll to, click and sign?

• 2. Re: How can I sign document without creating a certificate?
          jonathana25635355 Level 1

This brings up a window and asks for a digital ID. I do not want that. We have Surface Tablets and would like to carry those around and pull up a contract and have clients sign and it captures it more like an image. Same principle as the SignNow app. I pull up the document, and can write on it (sign) and it doesn't require anything else. Perhaps it is a feature where you insert a drawing box...?

• 3. Re: How can I sign document without creating a certificate?
            Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I get following when I use the tool:

Bild1.jpg

• 4. Re: How can I sign document without creating a certificate?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Does your document have any form fields on it, including any unsigned digital signature fields? What version of Acrobat/Reader are you using?

• 5. Re: How can I sign document without creating a certificate?

What version of Adobe and what OS are you using? What I have does not look like that...I am using Windows 7 with Adobe Pro. Perhaps the Adobe app for Windows Surface or other tablets has that feature but I don't see that.

• 6. Re: How can I sign document without creating a certificate?

I am using Adobe Acrobat XI Pro. We added fields to pre-fill contracts so that one could enter in the information once and it fill the entire document relative to that field. However, we wanted to create a field which we could write in (have someone sign). Not a digital signature but more like a mark up so that it is just an image and doesn't require one to sign up in order to digitally sign. Ideally, we open a contract, fill in the first page which pre-fills the rest of the document and then they sign right on the spot without ever having to print the contract. Is this even possible at this time?

• 7. Re: How can I sign document without creating a certificate?
                    George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There is not a field type for that, but you can but a box with some "Sign Here" type wording on the underlying page. What you're asking about is a type of e-signature, and both Acrobat and Reader have such tools, but whether they're available depends on what version is being used and what's included in the PDF. For example, the latest version of Acrobat/Reader does not have the e-signing tool that Bernd shows if the PDF has any form fields. Some earlier versions won't have the tools available if the document is Reader-enabled. And what's available varies depending on the version of Acrobat/Reader, not even considering the nature of the PDF. So it's all rather confusing and you have to do some testing. Hopefully, Adobe will bring back the e-signing tools for forms since their removal has been very unpopular.

• 8. Re: How can I sign document without creating a certificate?
                      jeffs25940394 Level 1

I am having the same issue. In further researching the matter on Adobe, what you are looking for is an "ink signature"

I am trying to eliminate using paper triplicate forms by having a digital PDF form, that allows me to type-text what information I need to populate, combined with the ability to sign the document with either a stylus or finger. The signature would be "LIVE" and no different than if the person was actually signing on actual paper.

I was successful in creating such a form about 4 years ago. It was very efficient because it eliminated the need to carry paper forms, and had a professional appeal to it because it was typed, (opposed to hand-written), and still had a the ability to sign the document with a live signature.

• 9. Re: How can I sign document without creating a certificate?
                        jeffs25940394 Level 1

I have a temporary solution.

Per my post above, you are looking for an "ink signature". You want the customer to "sign" the document on your tablet like they were signing it on paper, as opposed to creating a digital signature, which includes security, internet, e-mail. Thus, you are face-to-face with the customer, when you have them sign, witnessing them doing it. (the excess explanation is for the benefit of Adobe).

I created my templates using an older version, Adobe X, however, I believe you can do this with the newer version. For this, I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Click "Fill & Sign".

Click "Sign". A pop-up window should come up that says "Add Signature +" Click on the plus to add a signature.

Click on the "Draw" tab and have your client sign the document.

Make sure the "Save Signature" box is unchecked! You could save and delete the signature, but in my opinion, its easier and efficient to just keep the box unchecked.

This seems to be the only viable way you can have an "ink signature" on a digital document, and you will likely have to relocate and resize the signature until Adobe decides it can validate using an "ink signature" field in its forms again. You may also consider scanning your own personal signature and adding it to the document just so that you don't have to sign it.

Also, consider the importance of the documents. In my case, I'm having my customers sign a service ticket, acknowledging my presence and the services I performed.

1 person found this helpful