17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2015 10:57 PM by aksagarw

sign in

markw80469183

I installed PhotoShop Elements and Premiere Elements in Nov 2014, and installed both, but have only used PhotoShop up to now.  When I tried to use Premiere, it demanded that I sign in, and then when I signed in, nothing happened.  Chatted with Adope customer care, and ended up downloading fresh copy, uninstalling, reinstalling.  Still same.  Run Premiere, choose Video Editor, choose new project, progress bar scrolls, demands sign in, I sign in, progress bar scrolls...  Now cannot reconnect to chat; refers me to forum.  Help!

• 1. Re: sign in
          A.T. Romano Level 7

markw

Please confirm version of Premiere Elements version and computer operating system on which you want to run it.

First the typical questions (not sure if you have been there and done the following but worthwhile to make sure)

1. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

2. Is your video card graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer?

3. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements, and are you running the programs as administrator?

4. Are you getting any error messages associated with the issue?

To do:

1. If 13 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit...go to Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 13\ and find specifically the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file in the Adobe Premiere Elements 13 Folder. Right click this Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file, select and apply Run As Administrator. Then double click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file, and determine if the program opens to the workspace.

2. Look at the solutions for PremiereElements 12/12.1 to determine if any of them will work for you in version 13/13.1

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html

3. Flush the preferences by deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file...for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

13.0 (if that is your version)

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure you are not working with hidden files and folders.

4. As indicated

Uninstall the program the usual Control Panel way

Do a free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls/reinstalls of Adobe and non Adobe products.

CCleaner - Download

Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

How was it left with Adobe Chat...were you given a case number, asked to do some troubleshooting, and then contact it again or something else? Do not post the case number here since this is not Adobe, rather user to user.

Please review and consider. If any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: sign in
            markw80469183 Level 1

Thanks for the help!

Premiere Elements is V.12, OS is Windows 7 Pro (64).

1. Don't have Windows firewall on.  Still same with AVG disabled.

2. Embedded graphics driver up to date.

3. Don't have QuickTime installed.  Tried running Premiere as administrator - same problem.

4. No error message, just progress bar scrolling, asks and gets login, continues scrolling.

Checked the hosts file, and can connect to servers.

No preferences file found in either Premiere Elements\12.0 or Premiere Elements 12.0\12.0.

(Premier Elements 12.0 was older, so I deleted it, but made no difference, and it re-created that folder

when I re-tested.)

After earlier chat with support, it was left that I would call back if the re-install didn't clear up the issue. 

But now I can't get in to chat.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, again!

• 3. Re: sign in
              A.T. Romano Level 7

markw

Thanks for the reply.

You wrote

3. Don't have QuickTime installed.  Tried running Premiere as administrator - same problem.

You need to download and install QuickTime. Have you yet?

When you did the uninstall and reinstall, did you use the free ccleaner in between? If not, please do that if installing QuickTime is not the solution.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: sign in
                markw80469183 Level 1

premiere program.jpgpremiere popup.jpgpremiere signin.jpg

Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same things.  The above images show what happens...

I start the program and click on Video Editor, then New Project and see the progress bar.  Then I get the popup

saying signin required.  I click on it, and complete the sign in (if I get it wrong it tells me so).  After completing

the signup, I'm left back at the program with the progress bar still running.  After a while the bar stops running.

• 5. Re: sign in
                  markw80469183 Level 1

I'll try QuickTime.

• 6. Re: sign in
                    markw80469183 Level 1

QuickTime did not make any difference.

Will deinstall, and reinstall, but will not be able to do that for several hours.

Sorry for that delay; have meeting to go to.

• 7. Re: sign in
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

markw

Thanks for the replies. From what you wrote, I believe we are in sync on the details.

Did you do the renaming of the SLCache and SLStore Folders as described in the blog post previously mentioned?

Looking forward to your progress with the uninstall, free ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

It is important that you use the ccleaner with its regular cleaner and registry cleaner in between the uninstall and reinstall.

Miscellanous

Did you install to the default location on the Local Disk C?

Now that you have QuickTime installed, do you see QuickTime presets under the Presets field in Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime?

Almost last case scenario is to create a new user account with administrative privileges and then install and try to run Premiere Elements from there.

Also consider....Right click the desktop icon for the program, select and apply Run As Administrator.

Go to Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\ and look for the file specifically named Adobe Premiere Elements.exe. Right click it, and select and apply Run As Administrator. Then double click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file and determine if it will open to an Editor workspace.

My main target is product activation. And, I was (am) hoping to gain that with the renaming of the SL Cache Folder (and/or SLStore Folder) or disabling of antivirus.

But the answers will be in the details.

Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: sign in
                        aksagarw Adobe Employee

markw,

please let us know if suggestion by ATR of renaming renaming of the SLCache and SLStore Folders worked for you? if not please switch user account to hidden administrator

link for creating hidden admin acount http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-wi ndows-vista/

• 9. Re: sign in
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

markw

In post 7 please refer to the following which I included for later thinking

Almost last case scenario is to create a new user account with administrative privileges and then install and try to run Premiere Elements from there

Here I had mind creating a new user account with administrative privileges the usual Windows 7 64 bit Control Panel way.

I am not familiar with the use of hidden admin account as suggested by akasgarw (post 8). If it comes to user account type of troubleshooting, then I would ask akasgarw about the relative merits of one way or another in creating new user account with administrative privileges in which to install and try to run Premiere Elements from there.

akasgarw, could you explain the difference.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: sign in
                            markw80469183 Level 1

Hi, ATR,

Sorry for the delay in getting back.  Life and work got in the way.

I followed all your suggestions.

I found and renamed the SLCache folder, but could not find an SLStore folder.  (Bear in mind that I never got to use the Premiere program. The folder was not hidden; I always have show hidden files turned on.)

Again, I checked the hosts file, which is empty except for some assignments needed when I connect via VPN.

I could not find the Prefs file. (Again, note that I've never succeeded in running the Premiere program.)

I uninstalled Premiere from the Control Panel.

I ran ccCleaner.  It got rid of a bunch of stuff.  Some was from Photoshop, but none from Premiere.

I reinstalled Premiere, and ran from the program folder, as administrator.

I got the same result.  Except that now Photoshop doesn't work either; when I click on Photo Editor, it also takes me to the sign in required window, When I sign in, it goes to a license the software or trial option.  Doesn't seem to know I have a license already.  Note that whether signing in with premiere or with Photoshop, my password is only accepted when I key it correctly, so I must be connecting with the login server.

One wrinkle... after the uninstall/re-install, I noticed that the Premiere software is installed in Program Files, not X86.  When I downloaded the program yesterday from the link provided by support, I chose the 64-bit version; previously, I must have opted for the 32-bit.

Any ideas on (1) where I go next on premiere, and (2) how I can get back my Photoshop license?

Thanks for your help, ATR!  Much appreciated.

--- Mark.

• 11. Re: sign in
                              markw80469183 Level 1

Hi, ATR & Aksagarw,

I activated the administrator account, and switched to it, and ran Premiere as administrator... it appeared to work.  WHen I clicked on New Project it opened up what I believe to be the editor window.  (Never used the program before.)  It did not ask me for the license key or to sign in!  However... I still cannot run Photshop, even that way.  It asks for the license key.  Any thoughts?

ATR, your question about Presets... I did not understand what you were asking.  I haven't used Premiere before, and don't know where to find what you were asking about.

Thanks for your help!!!

--- Mark.

• 12. Re: sign in
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

markw

First for Photoshop Elements, when you get the License this Product or Continue tryout message, do you click on License this Product and follow the instructions that follow there? Please do that if you have not already. Also, if needed, look for the SLStore Folder as pointed to in the blog post. It is in a different location that the SLCache Folder. In 2014, the renaming of SLStore and SLCache Folders (both) got my Photoshop Elements 12 working again after several months of unsuccessful troubleshooting.

Depending on what the  Welcome Screen setting are, the program can launch to the Welcome Screen, Elements Organizer, or the Premiere Elements Editor.

When you first open the Premiere Elements Editor is opened, by default, it will open to the Quick workspace. See the headers eLive, Quick, Guided, Expert. I would encourage you to use the Expert workspace. More on that another time if needed.

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

I could not find my reference to "presets"...not sure if you mean project presets which are import to setting up project or presets that are used in the export settings. I can detail either for you if and when you need more information on them.

Your progress is sounding good. Lots of exploration and experimentation ahead. Let us see if we can get Photoshop Elements working.

ATR

• 13. Re: sign in
                                  markw80469183 Level 1

Thanks, ATR.

I did now find and renamed the SLStore.

Returning to my normal PC login (instead of the Administrator account), I find that Photoshop Elements 12 and Premier Elements 12 both now behave the same way.  When I run the  program, and choose to Edit Photograph (or New Project), I see a popup that asks me to sign in; I click it, and see the popup that asks me to choose either free trial or license software.  I choose license, and it prompts me for license key.  I enter the appropriate key, and it accepts it, then asks me to sign in again to activate the key.  I sign in, and the popup closes, leaving the original product window open.  If I click to Edit again, it starts off the same cycle.

Regarding Presets... you had asked me to check the presets after installing QuickTime, but I didn't know how/where to check them.

Thanks, again.

--- Mark.

• 14. Re: sign in
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the Sign In problem still persists.

I am reading that the new user account with administrative privileges resolved the Premiere Elements 12 problem. Further you could update to 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

QuickTime is part of the System Requirements for Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and it, like Premiere Elements, is run with administrative privileges. One way to know if QuickTime is installed OK, is to look in the opened project Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime. When you get there, you will see a field for Presets. If the QuickTime is installed, you should see a list of QuickTime presets from which to select.

Mark.jpg

If you cannot open the project, then we cannot use them yet. Another matter, when you can open the project and look for them and when you get to Publish+Share/Computer, all you may see is Publish+Share/Computer and Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD. You need to use the thin scroll bar to the right of the choices to see them all. QuickTime is toward the bottom of the list and is hidden because of the limited space.

At this point, would you agree that Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is a non issue if it is run in the new user account with administrative privileges.

If so, then we need to troubleshoot Photoshop Elements 12/12.1 as a separate problem.

a. Are the SLCache and SLStore Folders both renamed while you are in either user account? Renaming those folders in the original user account with administrative priviledges turned out to be the key for me after months of not being able to open Photoshop Elements 12 no matter what else I tried.

b. Photoshop Elements has a different settings file than Premiere Elements. Have to tried to flush that.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Photoshop Elements

Editor

and in the Editor Folder is the Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Prefs.psp file that you delete or disable by renaming.

c. If none of this is working to resolve the Photoshop Elements 12 issue, then consider the following "far out" type. This is indicated when installation failed with the Share Technologies error. You would do the following just before install of the program. For the Shared Technologies fix, you would disable the OOBE Folder by renaming it specifically to OLDOOBE. Right now I am trying this variation of it in your situation.

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files

Adobe

OOBE

PDApp

Core

and in the Core Folder is expected to be the PDApp.exe. If you find it there, double click it in an attempt to up it. It should open to Updates. Click Yes for updating if it is offered.

d. Have you mentioned that you have downloaded and installed the Adobe Application Manager?

Adobe - Adobe Application Manager : For Windows : Adobe Application Manager

ATR

• 15. Re: sign in
                                      markw80469183 Level 1

Hi, ATR,

It seems that both Premiere and Photoshop Essentials are running from the privileged Administrator account.  I'd prefer to run them from my user account where I keep all my graphics, videos, documents, etc., but I can live with this.  I don't see any way from Help About etc. to see whether I'm running in Trial mode or licensed mode, but hopefully it's the latter.

When I get in to Premiere Edit mode for a new project, I can click on Publish+Share, Computer, QuickTime, and see the six preset options.

I have not yet downloaded the Adobe Application Manager, but I'll take a look at that.

I think that my issues are now resolved, and would just like your help to confirm that I'm now running licensed versions, then I think we can say it's resolved.  Thanks again.

--- Mark.

• 16. Re: sign in
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark

Great news.

If all is working, do not change a thing. Forget about downloading and installing the Adobe Application Manager for now.

In Premiere Elements 13 Editor and Photoshop Elements 13 Editor, when you go to Help Menu/, do you see "Sign Out" with your email address? That is typically of an activated product. Are you working with an active Internet connection? And, can you do successful importing, editing, and exporting? Then all should be well.

Activation and serial number matters can only be confirmed by Adobe (Adobe Chat). But, from what you wrote, it sound you are working from an activated product...for confirmation...

Contact Customer Care

Premiere Elements

Adobe ID, Signing In

Adobe ID, Sign In, Account Help

Chat Panel

Have you gone to your account at Adobe http://www.adobe.com "My Products" and found your product listed there with serial number?

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: sign in
                                          aksagarw Adobe Employee

if you do not see start trial screen coming up on launching the product asking you to continue trial, the product is licensed.