15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 6:50 AM by A.T. Romano

codecs

christophermartin

Can anyone help with downloading codecs for Adobe Premier Elements 11?  I have tried MPEG Streamclip and Adobe Media Encoder but neither work, can anyone help, please?

• 1. Re: codecs
          A.T. Romano Level 7

christophermartin

What computer operating system is involved?

The codecs for Premiere Elements come from the program itself as well as from the players installed on your computer.

Do you have QuickTime (latest version) and Windows Media Player installed on your computer.

What is your specific problem that is forcing you to seek additional codecs for Premiere Elements 11?

Please consider and supply details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: codecs
            christophermartin Level 1

Hi A.T.

Thank you very much for your response.

I am on Windows, I think it is windows 8. It's only maybe three years old at maximum.

I have some footage on my computer and on DVD which I am trying to add to Adobe Premier Elements 11.  All I get is that it does not have the correct codecs (forgive me but I don't know what codecs mean?)

I have been told to add to QuickTime, which I did, then upload to MPEG stream clip. It looks like it tries to work but when I add to Elements the whole thing is blank.

I was then advises to try Adobe Media Encoder but this does not even try to work, it says an upload failure despite me just uploading the latest version only a couple of days ago.

I do have Windows Media Player and I can view these clips on this file but not when I add to Elements.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or how to correct it.

If you can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Christopher

• 3. Re: codecs
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Christopher

Thanks for the reply.

QuickTime latest version is part of the System Requirements for Premiere Elements. You can download and install it from

https://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

I use that download for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

It is not clear how MPEG Streamclip is involved in this. Are you download it along with the QuickTIme Alternative 1.81 thinking to get the MPEG2 playback component that is one free way to use MPEG Streamclip?

What are the specific properties of what you want to import into your Premiere Elements 11 project?

From what you wrote

I have some footage on my computer and on DVD

What are the properties of "some footage on my computer" and what do you have on the DVD disc...files stored there or DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

If DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, are you using Add Media/DVD Camera or Computer Drive/Video Importer after you insert the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc into the burner tray?

The answers will come by first knowing the properties of the what you are trying to import - file extension as well as

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Right now, for me Video compression and file extension top the list.

Although there is a Microsoft Windows Media Player issue with MPEG2.mpg playback with Windows 8, that should not be affecting your imports into Premiere Elements.

Please consider, supply more information, and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: codecs

Hi A.T.

Thanks for your reply.

I have files in VLC media player (.mov) both on my computer and on the DVD Drive.  I am using add media from files on my computer.

To be honest I am quite confused with your questions but I'll try to answer best I can: -

I have downloaded Quicktime, I was told to download MPEG Streamclip, open the app then through that, open the file I wish to upload, one of the VLC .mov files then export to quicktime and compress to DVCPRO - PAL then click Make Movie. This would then change the file to a file where I can just add to the Premier Elements editing software.  This does not work as it takes a couple of hours to do the export but when I add to Premier Elements it is blank.

Sorry but I don't know the answers to your other questions, where would I find out these answers?

• 5. Re: codecs
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Codec tutorial on Vimeo https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1567965

MOV is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 6. Re: codecs
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Christopher

Thanks for the reply. Let us work through the details so that we are both OK with the details. I appreciate that you asked for clarification and will re-write as necessary.

First, let us focus on the .mov files.

From what you wrote, someone told you to convert your .mov files in MPEG Streamclip before importing them into Premiere Elements. What was the reason given you for doing that? Why were you not just importing your .mov file into Premiere Elements project directly using Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders? Premiere Elements requires installation of QuickTime; it is part of the system requirements. So with Premiere Elements and QuickTime installed you would have been good to go for your import, editing, and export of the original .mov file from Premiere Elements project.

To get at the core of this matter, we need to know the source of these .mov files...do you know the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the .mov files? Or do you have any information on the file, other than it has a .mov file extension?

It may be your conversion step that is creating unnecessary complications.

Second, are you saying that all you have are .mov files either on the computer hard drive or saved as .mov files to a DVD disc that you have in the DVD burner tray. It is important to distinguish between .mov files stored on a DVD and files that are burned to a DVD disc in a DVD-VIDEO format which is different than .mov files.

Lots more information to share, but let us make sure we are OK with the above so that we can build on that to advance to a solution.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: codecs
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Christopher Martin wrote:

Can anyone help with downloading codecs for Adobe Premier Elements 11?  I have tried MPEG Streamclip and Adobe Media Encoder but neither work, can anyone help, please?

NEVER install codec packs. Your computer has all the necessary codec on board.

First of all you need to know exactly what codec these files use before doing anything. Installing Quicktime wont hurt.

Download MediaInfo Windows

Analyse a mov and a file from the dvd (you need to copy the dvd to harddisk first, you cannot work with files that are still on a disk)

Post the outcome in treeview here on the forum.

Also can you upload a mov and file from the disk to say Dropbox for testing.

• 8. Re: codecs
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Christopher

Referring back to my last comments (post 4).

Bottom Line

Telling us what problems you had with the original .mov files in Premiere Elements and who and why someone told you to convert them from .mov  to .mov in MPEG Streamclip will cut out a lot of details which you may or may not understand and which may be unnecessary in the first place (such as you sending us a sample file via Dropbox).

Explanation For Concern

I think that you see the merits of obtaining information about the properties of these .mov file with which you are trying to work in Premiere Elements. Depending on the background information on this matter, I am encouraging you to first try to find that information from the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded that video. I am doing that to avoid you having  problems associated with the download and install of a video audio properties read out program to do that job. The video audio properties readout program of choice is MediaInfo. However, its download and install come with unwanted baggage besides the MediaInfo. You have to use care in your choices in the download and install to avoid getting your computer browser messed up.

Next, I decided to discuss with you first the .mov files that you already have on your computer hard drive. Focus on file compatibility before getting into even more details on how to deal with files stored on a DVD disc. From last report, you appear to have more .mov files stored on DVD disc. Awaiting your confirmation on that.

But, since the matter of the .mov on the DVD disc was brought by another with comments, I would like to comment on the information in those comments, doing it now rather than later. The comment that caught my attention is

Analyse a mov and a file from the dvd (you need to copy the dvd to harddisk first, you cannot work with files that are still on a disk)

You can work with the .mov files on the DVD from within the Premiere Elements project. You do not have to do a copy from the explored DVD disc, paste to hard drive location, and then import them from the computer hard drive save location into a Premiere Elements project with Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders.

The way it can be done is as follows....

1. You insert the DVD disc into the burner tray

2. Use Premiere Elements Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer to bring in your .mov files

3. In the Video Importer Save In, you set a hard drive Save Location, put a check mark next to Add to Timeline, select which .mov files in the Video Importer that you want , and hit Get Media.

4. If you do not want the Video Importer to Add to Timeline in a new project at that time, then just select Save In from where those .mov files can be accessed when needed at a later time.

But all of this is getting ahead of the need for basic information to which I referred in the the introductory Bottom Line of this post.

Thanks for your consideration.

ATR

• 9. Re: codecs

Hi A.T.

Thank you for your response.

I'll try to answer each of the questions as best I can: -

My footage was originally shot on an EX3 camera.  It was initially recorded on to an SxS card.  I have checked the properties of the .mov file, the only details given are the length of the footage, the file location, the file name, the date created, the date modified, the size and the folder type.

I have downloaded to my hard drive so you can disregard the DVD matter - I only mentioned it was on DVD in case it made it easier.

I went to Add Media from Files and Folders. I clicked on the footage clip but Add Media Failure that "codec missing or unavailable".  Before this whole conversation I had never even heard of a codec but now I know a bit more about them.

I was told to get round these codecs by using MPEG Streamclip, when this did not work they then advised Adobe Media Encoder but neither of these methods work.

If you think adding this Media Info would give me more info on the media and would be worth it to allow me to add to Elements then of course I will do.

Thanks

• 10. Re: codecs
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please go back and re-read my reply #5

What you need to find out exactly what is inside the file is in that post

• 11. Re: codecs
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Christopher

Thanks for the reply.

From what I have been able to put together just from the name of your camera, Sony EX3, it is recording with MPEG2-2 Long GOP video compression probably with MXF or MP4 file extension (container format for the file's video and audio). What is the file extension of your video from the EX3? Premiere Elements (any version) does not support MXF, so that is probably the reason why you were advised to convert the MPEG2.mxf or.mp4 to something else.

Your choice of converter and converter settings then become the issue since it is the converted product (as a .mov file) compatibility with Premiere Elements that needs to be explored. You said that your export from MPEG Streamclip used the DVCPRO-PAL video settings under the QuickTime export.

Please confirm if all of the above is correct. I will do a run through to try to confirm the compatibility of a DVCPRO-PAL.movie file in Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 or 8.1 64 bit.

Please view the plan and let me know if all the details are in order.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: codecs
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

I did not see your post numbered 10 until after I had posted (post number 11).

Please see the summary of the details for Christopher's video that I have put together from what he has already posted. An essential communication is

I have downloaded Quicktime, I was told to download MPEG Streamclip, open the app then through that, open the file I wish to upload, one of the VLC .mov files then export to quicktime and compress to DVCPRO - PAL then click Make Movie.

He should have a DVCPRO.mov in a PAL format. I am in the process of confirming whether that product exported from MPEG Streamclip is compatible with his Premiere Elements version.

More later tonight.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: codecs
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

christopher

I was able to find some mfx files online.

My attempts to save them to MPEG Streamship QuickTime with the DVCPRO - PAL choice were unsuccessful .. could not create the DVCPRO-PAL.mov that I think that you are trying to import into a Premiere Elements 11.

But, I have found a solution that should permit you to get your EX3 footage as H.264.mp4 into your Premiere Elements 11 project.

Take the MPEG2.mxf or .mp4 into the free HandBrake software, and export it as H.264.mp4 which you then import into your Premiere Elements 11 project.

It works. Please see if it works for you also.

https://handbrake.fr/

It should be quick and easy.

Import the EX3 file into HandBrake using Source/File (I used an xdcamhd 1080i50 file).

Browse to and set the Destination for the saved H.264.mp4 file to be created

Container = MP4

Leave everything under the Picture Tab as is for now.

Under the Video Tab, make sure that Frame rate is set and for constant. In my case, I set the frame rate to 50 and did not leave as "same as source".

Click the Start button at the top left of the workspace.

Wait until you see Queue Finished in the progress bar at the bottom left of the workspace.

Then close out of there, and import your saved H.264.mp4 into Premiere Elements with its Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline video/audio tracks. You (manually) should set the appropriate project setting before the import, or the project should set it automatically when the file is dragged as the first file to the Timeline. We can go into project settings next. Right now the goal is to get a compatible format for your Premiere Elements 11 project.

Please review and consider. Do not hesitate to ask if clarification is needed.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: codecs

Thanks A.T.

Wow, I'm impressed, it has actually worked.

Handbrake allowed me to upload in the exact way you explained.

All my EX3 footage is now in my Elements editing software and I can now start to edit this down for my show reel.

Thank you so much for your help on this. It is very much appreciated. I'm sure it wasn't easy explaining this all to a novice but thank you.

Thanks

Chris

• 15. Re: codecs
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Thanks for the follow up with the news of your success. Well done.

Best wishes

ATR