5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2015 12:43 PM by rob day

exporting a LARGE pdf document~ fails at over 1.3gigabytes

Jimmer Shine Level 1

Hey there~ I'm creating an interactive book that has a lot of photographs and was exporting fine until the last chapter was put on.

It is 18 files in a .indb file.

At 17 files, previous to the last 35 page inclusion, it did export fine.

Now, I just get a tiny little error box after waiting nearly 45 minutes, watching each and every page seemingly process successfully, telling me that it just didn't create the pdf.

I've tried creating two smaller pdfs that I could then stitch together, but the hyperlinks die in the process. eg. the TOC no longer goes to the heading pages for the later chapters.

Any idea? I know I could likely drop the dpi from 300 to half that, but I'd rather not. It's created for big screens.

I'll appreciate any tips you might have~
      Thanks!

Jim

• 1. Re: exporting a LARGE pdf document~ fails at over 1.3gigabytes
          Jimmer Shine Level 1

Ok! So I've figured out a situational work-around.

Opening up the pdf created by stitching the two partials together, I'm able to edit the links from the Acrobat program.

My order is to create the separate halves, then stitch them together, then downsample (basically like flattening, I think, where it trims photos? is that right?), which doesn't create any pixel-density loss that I can see, THEN, go to the contents page and simple edit each to go to its corresponding page.

That was the only error in the whole document I've noted so far, so I'll run with that as the fix for today without an issue.

However, if anyone has experience with this that could still shed some light on how this might be avoided in the future, I'm still good to listen. (Or if I'm incorrect about downsampling etc.)

Cheers!

• 2. Re: exporting a LARGE pdf document~ fails at over 1.3gigabytes
            Jimmer Shine Level 1

Hey there.Still kind of lost here. I've got a book release in less than two weeks and this is actually a real problem at this point.

I hope someone can help here.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: exporting a LARGE pdf document~ fails at over 1.3gigabytes
              Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

You've worked around the problem. And from what I remember in the past, you're not the only one to have this problem.

I'm actually concerned that a indb file I will be adding documents to may fail for a similar reason.

HOWEVER, I can tell you that you can go way down to 200 dpi and no one will ever be the wiser. UNLESS, however, you have incredibly detailed maps that require someone to zoom to 350%.

There are ways you can create the PDF with lower-res images and then swap the images using the Edit PDF tools. But that's a pain in the lower back.

• 4. Re: exporting a LARGE pdf document~ fails at over 1.3gigabytes
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm creating an interactive book that has a lot of photographs...

Any idea? I know I could likely drop the dpi from 300 to half that, but I'd rather not. It's created for big screens.

Pixels per inch (your dpi) are relative to print output not screen size—a 5"x5" image at 300ppi would obviously have considerably fewer pixels than a 50"x50" image at 300ppi even though they are both at 300ppi, so using ppi as a resolution measurement isn't really useful for a document that is intended for screens because there are huge variations of screen physical dimensions combined with its display pixel dimensions. None of the screens in my studio have the same ppi resolution—they are running anywhere from 98ppi (Apple Cinema HD) to 326ppi (iPad Mini)

So to optimize resolution you would have to decide what you mean by a big screen. A retina iMac is probably the high end displaying at 5120 x 2880, but there are relatively few users on that kind of display so the more typical 1920 x1200 desktop might be more realistic. If your highend expectation is 1920, you can get the resolution of the document when its view is set to fit the full width of the screen, by dividing 1920 by the spread width. If your spread is 17" then the full width resolution with the complete spread showing (full screen view) would be 113ppi. If you doubled that res the user could double the zoom without image degradation.

• 5. Re: exporting a LARGE pdf document~ fails at over 1.3gigabytes
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This can be useful, the higher res retina displays don't even make it onto the list. 1920 is still the highend.

StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Usage Share