29 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 9:17 AM by sia09

Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects

sia09 Level 1

I am trying to link a topic in a Robohelp project  to another topic in another Robohelp project but it is not working. I have Robohelp 10. The two projects are kept at the same location. And the generated output of the second file is kept inside the first project.

• 1. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

More information needed.

What are your steps and where does the process break down?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
            sia09 Level 1

I am just inserting the hyperlink by following the simple steps. Click on Insert Hyperlink > Select File in Link To option > Select the topic to link. Then generate the file. But in the output, when I click on the link created, it shows "could not connect to the path".

• 3. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
              sia09 Level 1

Please provide answers to my question.

• 4. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects

Have you set the two projects up as merged help? (There are tutorials on my site for merged help).

If not, then I think the link is being written by RoboHelp based on its location when you create the link. When you generate the help that path will be different, hence the link cannot connect. The simple solution for just one link of this type would be to work out the correct relative path when the help is published.

Do you have many such links? If you do then merged help might be your better option but that merges all the content in both projects and that may not be what you want. RoboHelp 11 introduced the ability to share topics between projects and that may be better suited to what you are trying to achieve. Tell me more about what you need.

@petergrainge

• 5. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                  sia09 Level 1

I have Robohelp 10.

I have not set the two projects as a merged help. I dont want to merge the content of the two projects. I want to show the output as Two different Helps, but connected to each other.

Yes, I have many links to be given across both the projects. Does Robohelp 10 has the ability to share topics between projects? If yes, then where is that option?

• 6. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects

I know you have RoboHelp 10, that is why I specified that is was RoboHelp 11 that introduced the ability to share topics. It is of course also in the current version RoboHelp 2015.

With that method, the topic will be in both projects and when you update it in one project, it will update the copy that is in Resource Manager. When you next open the other project, you will be prompted to update the common topic and when you generate the other project, its content will be brought up to date.

There will not be any links as the topics will be in both projects. If that is not acceptable to what you want to achieve, then manually writing the links is the way to go. If the help is on a server where everyone accesses the same copy, then you could create the links to that location.

Hope that is all clear. Post back if clarification required.

@petergrainge

• 7. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                      sia09 Level 1

I could not find the option to share topics.

I want to manually write the links but, in the source file, the link shown is already correct. However, in the output, the link shown in the address bar is not correct.

• 8. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                        sia09 Level 1

I do not have the Help at a server where everybody can access. The Help is placed in my local D: drive.

• 10. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects

This is a user to user forum where other users attempt to help out. If you want immediate answers then you should be looking to Adobe's paid support. Those who support the forum are scattered around the world so as well as personal priorities, time zones come into play. It is mid evening where I am.

You will not find the option to share topics in Rh 10. As I have pointed out, the first version of RoboHelp that allows topic sharing is Rh11.

How will your users view the help? That will not be from your D drive.

@petergrainge

• 11. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                            sia09 Level 1

Sorry but I have been researching for this issue for so many days but did not get any resolution.

The users view the Help in html output which is integrated into the software. How do I give the links to that location?

Also, the links shown in the source file is correct but when I see the output, it shows incorrect link.

• 12. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects

When you say HTML Help you mean your are creating Microsoft HTML Help (a CHM), correct? I don't believe you specified that at the outset and it does affect how you create links. In the dropdown when you create a link you should see Remote Topic, try using that. If you don't see that, make sure that Microsoft HTML Help is set to be the default help output.

@petergrainge

• 14. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                sia09 Level 1

No, not CHM. It is webhelp, which we generate and display to the end users. In the dropdown, I cant see Remote topic. I'll check what is set to be the default help output.

I think cross linking between two projects is possible only through merging.

• 15. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects

Remote topic is for CHMs which I thought you were using. Ignore that part of my reply.

The output your users will see will either be on a web server or installed on their PCs. Which is it going to be? You may need to ask your developers.

Whatever the answer, the link is not going to be the same as on your local drive.

@petergrainge

• 16. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                    sia09 Level 1

The output that users will see will be installed on their PCs. Users install the software product and open the webhelp integrated within the software.

So, what is the resolution now? Merging the WebHelps?

• 17. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects

Probably. I will reply tomorrow.

Does your project have any links to PDF files?

• 18. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                        nitikamangla Level 1

Hi Sia,

I tried your problem of linking topic of one project inside another project.

The solution is keep the webHelp output of the second project at the same location. See the detailed steps:

1. Create a Project1.

2. Create a Project2 and create some topics.

3. Inside Project 1 ->Select some text ->create hyperlink to one of the topics in Project2 by choosing "File" from the dropdown menu of Hyperlink dialog.

4. Generate WebHelp output of Project1, lets say at a location like , "d:\Project1\index.htm.

5. Now generate WebHelp output of Project2 and keep it at the location. d:\Project2\index.htm.

6. Now View result of Project1 WebHelp output and verify the hyperlink.

It should work now.

Let me know if you face any issues in this.

Thanks and Regards

Nitika Mangla

• 19. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                          sia09 Level 1

My project just has internal links....within the project...no external links..

• 20. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                            nitikamangla Level 1

The solution above is for links between topics of two projects.

• 21. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                              sia09 Level 1

Hi Nitika,

I have already followed these steps but it did not work...Also tried keeping the output (SSL Folder) of second project inside the first. But its not working.

• 22. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                                nitikamangla Level 1

Hi Sia,

The SSL folder of second project need not be copied under first project, the webhelp output of both the projects should be kept at same hierarchy.

The Hyperlink creates a relative link to the other project.

Please share the screenshots showing the path where have you placed the WebHelp output of second project and also of WebHelp output where it says Cannot open link, if it is still not resolved.

We will be happy to help you out with the correct path.

Thanks and Regards

Nitika Mangla

• 23. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                                  sia09 Level 1

Hi Nitika,

I am also trying to cross link topics of two projects.

Just tried placing the SSL folder of second project inside the Source folder of first project. It is working. But this may not work on customer end.

So, the best would be that the output (SSL) of second project is kept inside the output (SSL) of first.I am trying this to work.

• 24. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                                    nitikamangla Level 1

This would work if you place the entire second project inside first project and then create links.

The basic requirement is to keep the WebHelp output folders in same hierarchy as the two source projects have.

• 25. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                                      sia09 Level 1

I have tried keeping both the outputs (Project A and B) at same hierarchy but its not working.

It is working when the below 2 points are done:

• The output of Project B is kept inside the output of Project A
                                                      • The output of Project B is kept inside the source of Project A
                                                      • 26. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects

Let's try and straighten out this thread as there are incorrect statements and procedures that as far as I can see cannot be correct. After the original post, each reply has a number against it. I will be referring to those numbers.

In Post 3, you state the root problem is that after creating a link in one project, when you click it in the output you get a "Could not connect" message. In Post 4 I explained why that is. Since then various posts have proposed solutions that are not working but ultimately that will always come back to the point in Post 4. Unless the relative path in the code is the correct relative path between the two outputs, it will not work in a month of Sundays. Do you understand the difference between a relative path and an absolute path?

Now lets look at some other posts in the thread.

In Post 5 you state you do not want to merge the content as you want two different help outputs. From one source project you can create many different outputs using conditional build tags. That enables specific topics to be in all outputs or just some. Is that a concept that you are aware of? If you are, then why else do you want to keep the source projects separate?

In Post 7 you state the link is correct. Let me correct that statement. It is correct as far as the source files are concerned, it is not correct as far as the outputs are concerned as if you look at the relative paths between the two topics, I believe you will find they are different.

In Post 18 Nitika has proposed a solution and I would be interested to know if Nitika tested that and got it to work.

In Post 19 you state that your project just has internal links, no external links. Wrong. All the links to the second project are external links as far as the first project is concerned.

In Post 24 Nitika says to "place the entire second project inside first project and then create links". @Nitika Do you mean import the second project into the first one and then use build tags to create different outputs? If so, that is what I have asked about above. If you don't mean that, what do you mean? It used to be possible to have two projects hanging off of one folder but I think that was about twenty years ago!

@Sheetal What is your level of understanding of RoboHelp? My gut feel here is that you are going about what you want to achieve in the wrong way. Having said that, I am not clear why you need two help outputs but to also have links between them. What is the use scenario? I would also suggest you stop trying to make this work with your real help projects and set up a couple of test projects with just a few topics. At the moment you probably cannot see the wood for the trees. Also you would then be able to zip it all up so that others can look at what you are doing.

@petergrainge

• 27. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                                          nitikamangla Level 1

Hi Peter,

The solution that is mentioned in Step17 is tried and tested, it works fine.

As hyperlink creates relative paths, when topics are linked between two projects, it is required that the webHelp outputs of those projects should have same structural heirarchy as their projects have.

For e.g.:

I created a hyperlink on text "Delete" in First Topic to point to "New Topic1" present in "Project2"  , in the output shows like this

<a href="../Project2/New_Topic1.htm">Delete</a>

If Project1 is generated at: "C:\project1\!SSL!\WebHelp\index.htm"

For link to work in output, Project2 WebHelp folder should be generated at: C:\project1\!SSL!\Project2\index.htm so that relative path that is created works correctly.

Thanks and Regards

Nitika Mangla

• 28. Re: Creating hyperlinks between two Robohelp projects
                                                            sia09 Level 1

I am aware of the concepts like relative path, absolute path, and conditional tagging.

As far as merging is concerned, I dint want to merge as the TOC of both projects would be merged. However, I will think of merging if the cross linking (which is working now) does not work on customer end.

I haven't used conditional tagging as the two project files have entirely different content. The projects are somewhat related to each other, that is why we need to cross link them.  

In Post 19, I had stated that my project just has internal links, no external links. I meant that the project did not contain external links earlier. And currently, I am creating external links.

Nitika's resolution obviously was not meant to work. 

My level of understanding of Robohelp may not be high but of course I have a mid level understanding.

I need two different outputs, one without linking and one with linking. That is why I have maintained two different projects.

Anyways, thanks for your inputs. As I have mentioned in Post 25, the cross linking is working now. The other two options of cross linking are merging and calling Map Ids.