6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2006 12:43 PM by Peter Lorent

Need help setting up an interactive portfolio

Ravuun
      I have my portfolio images set up in a masked layer so that they won't show when off the stage, but I don't know how to set up the ActionScripting/movie clips so that when a user selects an image, the image will move to the center of the stage and enlarge.

Also, the user needs to be able to control the images through a scrollbar or buttons to make the images scroll by horizontally--how would I set this up, especially so that the images loop around continuously?

I am *NOT* an ActionScript expert, so I need to know what the code would be, *AND* if the code is applied to an individual image, a keyframe, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help, I've asked this question before and not gotten a single response!
        • 1. Re: Need help setting up an interactive portfolio
          Peter Lorent Level 2
          >> and not gotten a single response!
          Well, you're asking a lot if not too much. One might think we have enough time on our hands to explain this step by step to a non-actionscript expert (which makes it even harder) and provide code but in fact... we (I think I can safely say 'we' here) don't. And if someone spends the time needed on this topic, you're in luck.
          On:
          http://www.kirupa.com/developer/flash/index.htm
          you will find tutorials on every topic you mention.
          • 2. Re: Need help setting up an interactive portfolio
            Ravuun007
            Fair enough, no need to be snarky about it!
            • 3. Re: Need help setting up an interactive portfolio
              The Feldkircher Level 2
              Hi

Perhaps his words are a tad strong, but true all the same.
              You have a client, probably paying for your services, but you want someone else to do the work for you.
              Seems a bit rich don't ya think, most people come here to help if they can.

Providing examples is time consuming and in the most part frustrating, because the recipient may not grasp the true value of what they have received.

Which is to say, that its not always a financial value, but a missed opportunity to learn by doing.

We are here to help, just don't expect the world on a plate.

• 4. Re: Need help setting up an interactive portfolio
                Peter Lorent Level 2
                I can be a real ***** some times.
                • 5. Re: Need help setting up an interactive portfolio
                  Ravuun Level 1
                  Please allow me to clarify.

I am not asking someone to 'do the work for me', and I actually resent the implication.

My client is in fact my boss, and he isn't paying me for it per se as it's a side project of his for another company he owns.

I have looked throughout the help files in Flash, on Adobe support and on the forums, I have searched about.com and google.com, and I haven't found the information I need to move forward.

The only reason I posted here is because I haven't been able to figure this out on my own and I haven't been able to locate any tutorials to help me after hours spent searching.

Maybe I don't know what keywords to search for, maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

The link to kirupa.com may yet prove to be the solution I need, in which case I am eminently grateful for the assistance--I probably never would have stumbled onto their website unaided.

I don't expect someone to hold my hand and walk me through every step of the way--suggestions on where to go to find tutorials or the information I need is great.

I actually hold a Bachelor degree in New Media, unfortunately this is one of several aspects of Flash that my instructors didn't have time to teach us. I do have ActionScripting experience, I'm just not an expert at it.

I am happy to 'learn by doing', in fact I prefer that--so I'll never forget how to do it again--I just need to get pointed in the right direction.

At any rate, I hope that straightens it out--this is just too much unpleasantness for one morning!
                  • 6. Re: Need help setting up an interactive portfolio
                    Peter Lorent Level 2
                    Don't get your knickers in a twist man. You might agree now that the original post was a bit... well, let's keep it at abstract. Do the time and if you get stuck on specific code, come back and I'm sure someone will help you.