8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2015 3:36 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements: Help doesn't function

lynnj59300521

A couple of years ago I bought Premiere Elements 11 but found my Airbook was about out of hard drive memory. I installed 1tb recently to upgrade the Airbook, so I installed Premiere.

The Help function doesn't function.

The program doesn't recognize my camera, A Canon Vixia.

I can't get started because of those two issues. Anyone help me?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements: Help doesn't function
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lynnj

Please confirm what version of Premiere Elements you are currently using...is it Premiere Elements 11 Mac? I want to make sure that you are not now using Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

I ask this since Premiere Elements 13/13.1

a. no longer has the DV and HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture window

and

b. eLive feature (which is a help feature) is not available in 13 in certain parts of the world.

Please give details of your version and Mac computer operating system.

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

Please consider, supply more details, and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements: Help doesn't function
            lynnj59300521 Level 1

Sorry.

Airbook Mac OS 10.9.5

Premiere Elements 11

The program was installed today from a disc; I bought it about 3 years ago and didn't install because I realized my 250 gb airbook drive was about full. Last week I upgraded to 1tb memory, so I installed.

Help is greyed out.

About Premiere Elements is greyed out.

Doesn't recognize my Canon Vixia.

In iMovie I just connect and the program sees what clips are on the camera and I can import them. But I was eager to switch to Abobe, being told it was easier to use. IMovie is not user friendly.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements: Help doesn't function
              lynnj59300521 Level 1

Another issue: I have it connected via USB, don't have a firewire from the Canon, just a USB connection.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements: Help doesn't function
                A.T. Romano Level 7

lynnj

Thanks for the additional details.

Classically, DV and HDV capture involving Premiere Elements does not work with USB connection...firewire connection works.

The popular workarounds also do the captures via firewire connection.

WinDV WinDV

HDVSplit  http://www.videohelp.com/software/HDVSplit

If you are using Premiere Element 13/13.1, please review the following Adobe document which gives suggested workarounds for the no DV and HDV capture situation in 13/13.1.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/removed-features-formats-elements.html

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements: Help doesn't function
                  lynnj59300521 Level 1

I spent 2+ hours on "chat" with Adobe support. It was not at all helpful, and it was also extremely slow. 5 or more minutes would go by without any reply. 10 sometimes. Finally the support person took control of my computer but nothing was accomplished and I was left with an unworkable program.

So I uninstalled it today. I can only assume that my older Premiere Elements 11 was not compatible with MAC OS 10.9.5. Yet why didn't support have anything helpful to say about that? Very disappointed that I am forced back to iMovie, The Worst Video Program Ever. I once googled iMovie worst program ever and got 11 million hits.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements: Help doesn't function
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

lynnj

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better.

I am not Adobe, but would be glad for the opportunity to exchange some troubleshooting possibilities with you.

If you want to give it a try, then....

Given you have Premiere Elements 11 on Mac 10.9.5.

What is the model and settings for the Canon Vixia that recorded your video?

The Help function should be the least of your concerns. All you need for that can be found in the Premiere Elements 11 Help PDF.

http://help.adobe.com/archive/en/premiere-elements/11/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

http://help.adobe.com/archive/en/elements-organizer/11/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

So from what you wrote, our focus is the format from the Canon and how you are trying to import it into the project.

We will be watching for further developments if you want to continue here user to user.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements: Help doesn't function
                      lynnj59300521 Level 1

Very kind of you.

Something I overlooked is that I could not close Premiere Elements except by "force close." I had decided that the whole program was not workable. That is to say, the command to close the program was greyed out.

The model is Canon Vixia HFR20. Settings: I record at the highest resolution, in a 16x9 format. As I said, it seems to be just fine with iMovie. All the clips open up just fine.

I don't know enough about Firewire to know whether I could get an adapter to plug the USB cord from the camera into the little connection on the right side, which is where my HDMI connection goes. I think it is a multi-purpose connection. It is also the output for a projector. I am not sure it is worth pursuing since the program seemed unresponsive in other areas, such as the Help functions all being greyed out. To me this suggests the program simply won't run on my computer.

But without being able to download a clip, I just don't know.

Again, thanks for your encouragement.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements: Help doesn't function
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

lynnj

Thanks for the additional information.

Your Canon Vixia HFR20 is recording with AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264) video compression. From your description it is probably 1920 x 1080 but I am not sure of the frame rate - it is either 60i, 30p, or 60p. You are probably set for the AVCHD mode in contrast to the MP4 Mode. Have you been able to determine the file extension of your video? I am guessing that it is .mts.

If you have AVCHD.mts for Mac purposes, you may have to convert the AVCHD.mts to AVCHD.mp4 before important into Premiere Elements Mac.

For that matter, have you looked at recording in the MP4 mode which appears to be using the same compression as the AVCHD mode?

From what I have read, you camera has HDMI and USB ports. At this time, can you use either one of them to connect to your computer so that you can transfer the Canon video to your computer hard drive. From the computer hard drive, can you import the video there into a Premiere Elements project with Premiere Elements's Add Media/Files and Folders?

If you are storing your video on an external hard drive, there may be some complication with the Video Importer.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Import media from AVCHD, Flip, Cameras, or Removable Drive

Please see the note in this link which reads

Note: Video Importer cannot import media from external hard drives. If you want to import media from an external hard drive, use the Files And Folders option in the Add Media panel.

Please review the above and let me know if any of this resolves the issues that you have presented.

Thanks.

ATR