5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2015 7:50 AM by A.T. Romano

Thumbnails for MTS and MP4 files are not showing up in Organizer.

andrewe2 Level 1

Has there ever been a satisfactory solution for this on the Windows platform or is it a MS problem? I've seen lots of discussion over the years with no definitive solution. What's the story?

• 1. Re: Thumbnails for MTS and MP4 files are not showing up in Organizer.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

My particular short version.

Given the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements Elements Organizer....

The Elements Organizer situation seems to be unique for each version on a given computer operating system. If the version comes with  version update (like X to X.1) sometimes you can gain an advantage in this matter by downloading and installing the update for that version.

What version of Premiere Elements Elements Organizer are you using, and on what computer operating system is it running?

For Elements Organizer 13/13.1 (Windows), I can import a 1080p60 (AVCHD.mts) from Panasonic GX7 into that Organizer and can also import the .mp4 files that I have. On the other hand, I have a tough job keeping the Elements Organizer 12/12.1 from crashing on me for a variety of reasons not necessarily restricted to mts and mp4. I seem to be doing a lot of deleting of the Elements Organizer 12/12.1 settings file as well as creating new catalog.

If you have a particular source media issue, please post the details, and I will explore the issue with a variety of different Elements Organizer versions that I have on my computer.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Thumbnails for MTS and MP4 files are not showing up in Organizer.
            andrewe2 Level 1

That's what I was afraid you say. Sounds like there is no definitive solution. The problem appears to be unique to Organizer. I get thumbnails and video plays fine in the editor. I'm using Organizer 12.1 in Windows 7, by the way. I suspect it's a long standing compatibility issue with AVCHD, Windows and Adobe. For a format as common as AVCHD for consumer video products you would think Adobe and MS would have worked it out but it also doesn't surprise me. Is there a Codec I need to install? QT wasn't playing in Organizer until I downloaded QT for Windows so I suspect it's a missing Codec since MS doesn't support AVCHD.

• 3. Re: Thumbnails for MTS and MP4 files are not showing up in Organizer.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Did a quick experiment today. I randomly pulled 5 videos from my hard drive and tried to import them into Elements Organizer 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1 on the same Windows 7 64 bit computer. A MediaInfo look at the video properties showed

1. 1920 x 1080 @ 59.940 progressive frames per second. Format = AVC. Codec = 27. File extension = .MTS.

2. 1920 x 1080 @ 60.000 progressive frames per second. Format = AVC. Codec = avc1. File extension = MP4

3. 1440 x 1080 @ 29.970 progressive frames per second. Format = AVC. Codec = avc1. File extension = MP4

4. 1920 x 1080 @ 59.940 progressive frames per second. Format = AVC. Codec = 27. File extension = MTS

5. 1920 x 1080 @ 59.940 progressive frames per second. Format = AVC. Codec = 27. File extension = MTS

Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

All 5 of the samples imported into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 workspace, had thumbnail with image, and, from the thumbnail, could be played back in the Elements Organizer 13/13.1 player (audio and video).

Elements Organizer 12/12.1.

Sample 1 imported as gray thumbnail. Elements Organizer was forced to close when attempt was made to Update Thumbnail. If the gray thumbnail was double clicked without trying to Update Thumbnail, the video would playback OK in the Elements Organizer player but it first frame was green.

Sample 2 would not import and insisted on shutting down the Elements Organizer

Sample 3 would not import and insisted on shutting down the Elements Organizer.

Sample 4 and 5 imported into the Elements Organizer 12/12.1, but had to be encourage to display a thumbnail image (right clicked thumbnail, clicked on Update Thumbnail in the menu that appeared). Both played back in the Elements Organizer player (audio and video).

Elements Organizer 11

Sample 1 imported but with a multi pastel coloring. Applying Update Thumbnail resulted in the thumbnail image becoming solid black which did not force the Elements Organizer to close. And, the video could be played back in the Elements Organizer 11 player when the black thumbnail was double clicked and the player's play button hit.

Sample 2 imported but with a green pattern. Applying Update Thumbnail had no effect and did not force the Elements Organizer to close. And, the video could be played back in the Elements Organizer 11 player when the green pattern thumbnail was double clicked and the player's play button hit.

Samples 3, 4, and 5 imported into the Elements Organizer 11 workspace without issue. All 3 had thumbnail with image, and, from the thumbnail, could be played back in the Elements Organizer 11 player (audio and video).

This quick look was too short and too quick to draw firm conclusions as to better. But, they do suggest improvement in this regard moving to 13/13.1. More testing needed.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Thumbnails for MTS and MP4 files are not showing up in Organizer.
                andrewe2 Level 1

That's very interesting. Thanks for taking the time and effort. It looks like if I want to use Organizer I will need 13.1. Too bad it will cost me over $100 to get a fix for something Adobe should have fixed a while ago.

• 5. Re: Thumbnails for MTS and MP4 files are not showing up in Organizer.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are considering Premiere Elements 13/13.1 or its Elements Organizer as your next version of Premiere Elements Elements Organizer, please look at the free 30 day tryout of the program before purchase to make sure of its compatibility with your computer environment and project goals. There have been some features removed from it. Please review

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/removed-features-formats-elements.html

and also

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | What's new in Adobe Premiere Elements 13

Aside from the matter of imports into the Elements Organizer, 13's Organizer is new in certain respects. If you use the Elements Organizer for slideshow production, please note the drastic changes from what you are using in a version earlier than 13.

Elements Organizer Help | Create slideshows

I have my Premiere Elements 13 First Look and Premiere Elements 13 Daily Discoveries that I could point you to and will if you have any interest in 13/13.1.

Also, keep in mind that, if history repeats itself, there will be a new version of the program released by Adobe around September - October 2015.

I am not recalling any case where Adobe went back and offered updates/fixes for non current version.

Best wishes in whatever you video editor decision is.

ATR