2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2015 5:11 PM by jbsavitz

Will Reader/Acrobat DC for Android ever get palm rejection capability?

jbsavitz Level 1

Hi,

I use Reader/Acrobat DC on Android for marking up documents and use the smart zoom features regularly.  When making comments (both inserting text notes and/or highlighting) the document moves around on the screen, in smart zoom mode, when my palm makes contact with the screen while using a stylus to highlight or write text.  Is there anyway to activate palm rejection or will Adobe consider adding this feature to Reader/Acrobat DC?  One way to do this would be to lock the movement of the screen when in smart zoom mode and then double tap to zoom out to unlock it.

• 1. Re: Will Reader/Acrobat DC for Android ever get palm rejection capability?
          vmarda Adobe Employee

Hi

Thanks for your feedback. We have made a note of the same and shall try to incorporate it soon.

Acrobat DC Mobile Team

• 2. Re: Will Reader/Acrobat DC for Android ever get palm rejection capability?
            jbsavitz Level 1

Hi, Let me add a couple of comments about the palm rejection capability.  I think I might have over simplified as to how it should function.  If the screen locks in smart zoom mode then you can't scroll up and down the column, which would make it difficult.

There's two primary use cases for palm rejection that I can think of.  The first being Acrobat Reader DC is running on a device with either a digitizer in the screen or with an active stylus that is connected to the device via wireless (probably Bluetooth).  With both of these approaches the device will sense the stylus is either near or in contact with the screen and thus an API for one of these devices will sent a signal indicating to lock the screen, so thus Acrobat Reader DC should be "API" aware for the few styli on the market that offer this capability.

The second use case is with a capacitive touch only screen where it will be more challenging on how to do palm rejection since the software will need to either determine to lock the screen or a small button will have to be created to support toggling screen locking on/off.  This will be the more challenging use case to implement, might even have to be user selectable.

Please contact me if you would like some additional input on this kind of a feature.