10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 2:25 AM by clivew61581637

Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.

clivew61581637

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 After cloning my hard drive to an ssd when I try to open a project I get an error and the application closes. If I create a new project, the same happens when I try to open it. This has happened on two pc's. any ideas?

I have tried the usual of deleting the pref files, uninstalling, using CCleaner to clean the registry and reinstalling, but still the same.

The Organiser and Adobe Photoshop Elements are working ok, just the Premiere seems to have a problem.

It appears to be the same fault on two pc's after cloning to Samsung SSD

Are you aware of any issues? or is there a simple fix?

Regards,

Clive

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Clive

I have not seen any prior mention of your specific issue.

But, have you uninstalled, reinstalled Premiere Elements on the SSD? Is the SSD designated Local Disc C?

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.
            clivew61581637 Level 1

Thanks for the response - yes I have reinstalled on the ssd, which is the Local C drive. I cleaned the registry with C Cleaner before the re-install.

However, I have just re-attached the original hard disk drive, and found that the problem was also apparent on this disk too.

Trouble is I don't often use the Premiere program, as I normally do photo editing using the Photoshop Elements. It was my son who noticed it first on his laptop after cloning to an SSD.

I had previously cloned my desktop machine to an SSD but had not checked Premiere Elements until now. Hence it is likely that there was a problem before cloning, but only just noticed.

However the same error message is showing on both new and old hard disks (probably as they were cloned, so carrying the fault across - but showing with the same error on each machine.

for info the SSD's are both Samsung EVO850 500GB and the Samsung software was used to clone the disks.

Error Message says:

Sorry, a serious error has ocured that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project

This message shows after first of all selecting open project or new project -once the project is selected the screen goes grey and nothing happens. When selecting open project again from the file menu, the error message comes up with the ok button. Effectively the message appears twice, once for each selection of the project. After which when you press ok the application closes.

Any ideas?

Clive

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Clive

Thanks for the update with important information for any troubleshooting moving forward.

The error message

Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project

could take us in numerous directions.

1. Are you working from the 9.0.1 update of the program? What computer is involved? For now, I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

2. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or manufacture of the computer? Is your computer running with more than 1 video card/graphics card? Please verify Device Manager/Display Adapters list. If card driver up to day, then we could look at deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

3. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

4. Do you have the latest version of QuickTIme installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, and are you running the programs as administrator?

5. Also, flush the preferences by deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with the Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, or Drives enabled so that you can see the whole path given.

Since you indicated that the problem exists without source media imported, I have not asked about source media properties and project presets.

Please review, consider, and then we can decide what next based on the details of your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.
                clivew61581637 Level 1

In answer to your qestions:

1. I am running version 9.0 - tried going on the link you provided to update, but it came up with already up to date.

Computer is home built desktop - Asus Sabertooth motherboard, 3.4GHz i7 processor 8GB RAM Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

2.Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD5670 (single card) - drivers are up to date

I tried deleting the BadDrivers.txt file - still the same problem

3.Tried with the firewall and anti-virus disabled - still have the same problem.

4. Quicktime is current version, and am running as administrator

5.Flushed the Pref file and also deleted the 9.0 folder - stilll the same problem

Regards,

Clive

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Clive

Thanks for the update and exploring the suggested troubleshooting.

You have already written

yes I have reinstalled on the ssd, which is the Local C drive. I cleaned the registry with C Cleaner before the re-install.

However, I have just re-attached the original hard disk drive, and found that the problem was also apparent on this disk too.

In view of that, please consider

1. Using new source of installation files for 9.0

Other downloads

and insert your purchased serial number during the installation process.

and/or

2. Create a new user account with administrative privileges and install and try to run Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 from there.

3. At this point, I am not sure if taking the computer back to computer factory settings is indicated.

Please consider and then we can work on what next based on further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.
                    clivew61581637 Level 1

Thanks - I will give this a try and let you know..

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.
                      clivew61581637 Level 1

I have tried making a new account with admin rights, and unistalling and re-installing from the new account.

I used the downloaded files this time.

However this has not cured the problem.

Any other ideas?

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.
                        clivew61581637 Level 1

I have tried making a new account with admin rights, and unistalling and re-installing from the new account.

I used the downloaded files this time.

However this has not cured the problem.

Any other ideas?

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Clive

Thanks for the replies with updates. Sorry that the news is not better.

At this point, I am suggesting the following for troubleshooting purposes only...sort of a win win situation....that is...

Download and install the free 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 13 from Adobe and determine if you can get that to work in your computer environment - with old hard drive and new SSD. It this works,  the results point to Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 program. If this does not work, the results point to the computer environment. Thus the results one way or other would focus us on the most likely cause of the 9.0/9.0.1 related issue.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 9.0 - Problem after cloning my hard drive to an ssd.
                            clivew61581637 Level 1

I have downloaded and tried the trial version of Premiere Elements 13 - this works fine.

I have even tried starting a new project in version 9. The new project file will not load into version 9, but does load in version 13

Hence I am guessing the problem still lies in version 9 - note I have also tried downloading version 9 - but still the same result.

Regards,

Clive