6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2015 12:11 PM by JimHess

No D7200 support for LR5.x - seriously?

wigwam4000 Level 1

I simply cannot believe that Adobe is so disrespectful of its customers that it will not be adding D7200 support to Lightroom 5.

Until quite recently LR5 was the current standalone version of Lightroom.  In the past, Adobe has typically kept Lightroom up to date with new lenses/cameras for quite a while after release.  The D7200 is substantially identical to the D7100.

Yet what does Adobe do?  They wilfully refuse to update LR5 to include support for the D7200.  The various hacks floating around show that this could be done absolutely trivially if Adobe wanted to.  It would literally take them a few minutes.  Yet they don't do it.

The only possible reason for this is to try to force people to either fork out for an upgrade to LR6, or to give in an switch to the crappy subscription model that no-one ever asked for in the first place.

I am incredibly frustrated.  I have happily paid for Lightroom because it's a good tool - but why should I pay for it twice in under a year just because Adobe has made a commercial decision not to make a tiny tweak to LR5?  Nikon are also to blame.  If they spent less time writing their own crappy software that no-one uses, and spent more time making sure that their products were supported by the major existing products, we probably wouldn't be stuck in this situation.

By the way - I'm posting this here because Adobe's support is otherwise non-existent, as far as I can tell.

• 1. Re: No D7200 support for LR5.x - seriously?
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

I'm reporting this as spam. You've been told umpteen already times why this is, and why you're wrong about it.

wigwam4000 wrote:

I simply cannot believe that Adobe is so disrespectful of its customers that it will not be adding D7200 support to Lightroom 5.

Yeah, let's have it added to Lr 1, Lr 2, Lr 3 and Lr 4 too, while we're at it, eh?

• 2. Re: No D7200 support for LR5.x - seriously?
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

wigwam4000 wrote:

The only possible reason for this is to try to force people to either fork out for an upgrade to LR6, or to give in an switch to the crappy subscription model that no-one ever asked for in the first place.

I didn't get the memo telling me that you'd been elected spokesman for everyone. Some of us like the CC model just fine.

Again - and I'm typing slowly so that you can keep up - when Lr x is replaced by Lr y, there are no more updates to the older version: this is why Lr 1 won't support your camera either.

That's how it is - for Lightroom, Capture One, DxO Optics Pro, Photo Ninja, and every other converter out there.

As an "intelligent customer", it's your job - nobody else's - to understand this fact.

There are all sorts of technical reasons why this should be, but you're right, it's also because this is how Adobe makes its money.

Adobe is not a charity. You do understand this, don't you?

• 3. Re: No D7200 support for LR5.x - seriously?
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom 6 and the Nikon D7200 were both released in April 2015 within a few weeks of each other.

wigwam4000 wrote:

In the past, Adobe has typically kept Lightroom up to date with new lenses/cameras for quite a while after release.

I believe those lenses and cameras were released many months prior to the newer LR version and were already a "work in progress."

There are both marketing and technical issues that affect the ability to provide updates in a prior version. Extensive testing must be done with both the current and previous version of LR as a standard part of the Quality Assurance process.

wigwam4000 wrote:

The D7200 is substantially identical to the D7100.

Adobe has no way of determining what Nikon changed (proprietary information) in the newer model camera that may affect the images inside LR. They must create entirely new camera profiles and test it as a completely new camera. This includes extensive testing in the prior version to insure compatibility (i.e. no bugs). Yes, some bugs creep through anyhow...as we well know! Imagine how many more bugs there would be if the quality assurance process were circumvented because a camera or lens was "similar" and extensive testing and bug correction wasn't performed. A part of the quality assurance process is establishing and following procedure & policies for cut-off of support in the prior version.

• 4. Re: No D7200 support for LR5.x - seriously?
                Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pretty much what Todd said. No software company is going to update old software. Adobe at least has the free dng converter for you to use if your version of PS or LR can no longer open newer camera files. I just had to buy a new version of Poser, as with an update from Win 8 to 8.1 made my version no longer work, and MicroTech didn't do a fix. I've got a $13,000 drum scanner that is about to become a doorstop as it won't work with Win 7. Would be nice if that company could have made a new driver for that pricy piece of equipment.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: No D7200 support for LR5.x - seriously?
                  Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Regarding abuse: posters are allowed to express their displeasure with Adobe. Adobe is not going to censor these types of comments. They will deactivate you for spam, selling products, obscene post, etc.

• 6. Re: No D7200 support for LR5.x - seriously?
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only version of Lightroom that gets updated to support new cameras is the current version. That has always been the case. However, Adobe has provided you with a free solution. You can download the latest DNG converter and use it to create digital negative copies of your raw files that you can use with Lightroom 5. The DNG files contain the original raw image data, and you have all of the editing capabilities that you would have if you were working with your NEF files. Adobe provides this converter and updates free of charge. If you don't want to purchase upgrades to your software as they become available, then the DNG converter is a viable alternative.