3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2015 7:17 PM by A.T. Romano

How do you turn your video 45 degrees to the right to straighten it out?

A Swarm of One

I'm trying to determine if I want to buy the movie editor but I can't seem to get it to do what I want in the trial version.  I have a short video clip of the 4th of July parade in our city and my iPhone 6 Plus recorded it at a 45 degree angle and I'm trying to figure out how to move it 45 degrees to the right?  Does the movie editor not do that task?  Thanks

• 1. Re: How do you turn your video 45 degrees to the right to straighten it out?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

A Swarm of One

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running.

For now I will assume Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Select/highlight the Expert workspace clip, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded to find the Rotation feature.

If and when you would need it, you can right click the file on the Timeline, and then, from the pop up menu, select Rotate 90 Right or Rotate 90 Left.

Please let us know if the Applied Effects Tab way worked for you in this particular case.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do you turn your video 45 degrees to the right to straighten it out?
            A Swarm of One Level 1

I have Premiere Elements 11 for pictures but was just trying the new trial version for video which I’m guessing is 13. 

I followed you instructions and was able to turn the video 90 degrees and straighten it out, but it seemed very jerky and unsteady?  When I uploaded the video into the trial version it was a HD 244 MB MP4 file.  If I buy the full version of Premiere Elements 13 will I be able to do everything I can do on Windows Movie Maker?  I have made some very good video clips on Movie Maker, but couldn’t figure out how to rotate the video.  My computer is a HP desktop with Windows 8.1. 

Thanks,  Parl

• 3. Re: How do you turn your video 45 degrees to the right to straighten it out?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pat

Thanks for the reply.

Did you want to rotate the video 45 or 90 degrees. You can do the 90 degrees rotation from the Timeline shortcuts or Applied Effects Tab route. But you need Applied Effects for the 45 degrees or non 90 degree rotations.

For video playing back in a jerky and unsteady manner, you need to look to your project settings and the properties of the source media (your .mp4 file).

Project preset and properties of source media should match. When you are viewing your Timeline content and the playback is not good, is there an orange line above that Timeline content or no colored line? Timeline rendering may be needed to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the Edit area monitor.

As for Movie Maker from Windows Essentials 2012, the rotation option is on the Home Tab row.

(that rotation feature should be there whether you are using Windows 7 or 8.1 64 bit.

MovieMaker.JPG

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR