Help with Links in RoboHelp

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2006 Dec 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using RoboHelp x5...

I have two questions:

1.) If I create a template and apply it to my topics, in theory, everything between my HEAD tags is supposed to get added into my topics, correct?

2.) I apply a footer to all my topics, and these footers need to contain links to the NEXT and PREVIOUS documents. (i.e. click on "Next" to go to the next document, and click on "Prev" to go to the Previous document.) Is there some way in RoboHelp to help with putting in all the links? Is there some generic code I can place inside each of the "Next" and "Prev" instances so I do not have to manually insert all these links? Can't RoboHelp recognize the 'sequence' of documents?

Thank you very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GlennWa and welcome to the RH community. Just how do you expect RH to know what you are doing? There is no way for RH to know that when you create a topic that it should follow on from the one before. What happens if you add a topic later on in the middle, would you expect RH to know that it goes between topics F and G? As an aside, it sounds like you should look up the Browse Sequence function. This is better placed to display sequences of topics and is much easier to control with drag and drop capability to assign the display sequence. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi GlennWa and welcome to our community

1.) If I create a template and apply it to my topics, in theory, everything between my HEAD tags is supposed to get added into my topics, correct?

This is actually incorrect. What happens with a template is that you can associate a header or footer that will be inserted into the affected topics. Templates are also used as a starting off point. More information by clicking here.

2.) I apply a footer to all my topics, and these footers need to contain links to the NEXT and PREVIOUS documents. (i.e. click on "Next" to go to the next document, and click on "Prev" to go to the Previous document.) Is there some way in RoboHelp to help with putting in all the links? Is there some generic code I can place inside each of the "Next" and "Prev" instances so I do not have to manually insert all these links? Can't RoboHelp recognize the 'sequence' of documents?

This sounds like you are describing a browse sequence. Browse sequeces are specially defined sequences you may create using RoboHelp HTML. You may want to investigate the RoboHelp HTML help file and look the browse sequence information over.

In any electronically distributed help file, there is really no "sequence" of documents per se. It's never linear as in a printed book. Only a collection of topics presented in any order you choose to use.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp