12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2015 12:41 AM by Jownagee

Local storage

Jownagee

Is there any way to locally store documents from the Document Cloud on my mobile device, so I don't have to download documents every time I use them. It seems pretty stupid that this feature would not be available, unlike good cloud services where it locally stores documents so they don't have to be downloaded multiple times. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Local storage
          vmarda Adobe Employee

Hi

The caching of Document Cloud files is done locally by Acrobat Mobile DC. It doesn't download cloud files every time you use it. Files are synced back and forth only when they are out-of-sync.

If this isn't how it's happening on your device, could you please share more details about the device, OS and the exact workflow?

Thanks

Acrobat DC Mobile Team

• 2. Re: Local storage
            Jownagee Level 1

I mean downloading them so that I would be able to access them offline. It seems that only the last file I used is available offline, with no option of setting any of my other files to be viewed offline.

• 3. Re: Local storage
              vmarda Adobe Employee

You can view the cached files offline. It seems like only one file is being cached in your case. The cache size is calculated on runtime depending on the available storage on the device. Could you please try freeing up some space on your device storage and see if that helps in increasing the number of files being cached?

We have noted your feedback as a feature request for providing better offline viewing capability for Document Cloud files.

Thanks

Acrobat DC Mobile Team

• 4. Re: Local storage
                Jownagee Level 1

My phone still has 25Gb of storage left, so I don't think that is affecting it very much.

• 5. Re: Local storage
                  vmarda Adobe Employee

In that case, maybe your cache size is hitting the hard limit. What's the size of the only file you are able to view offline?

• 6. Re: Local storage
                    Jownagee Level 1

5mb

• 7. Re: Local storage
                      vmarda Adobe Employee

Can you please try one more thing -

1. Tap on the overflow menu button in the top bar (the 3 dots on the extreme right in the top bar) and go to "Settings".

2. Tap on the "Document Cloud Cache Location" item. Which is the currently active option there? If it's "Internal Storage", please switch it to "SD Card (available to all apps)".

3. Try opening 3-5 Document Cloud files in Acrobat DC Mobile.

4. Now go to this directory - /sdcard/Android/data/com.adobe.reader/files/.Skybox.Cache using any file browser. Do you see any of the files you opened listed here? If yes, how many and which ones?

Thanks

Acrobat DC Mobile Team

• 8. Re: Local storage
                        Jownagee Level 1

I have an iPhone

• 9. Re: Local storage
                          MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi Jownagee,

Acrobat Reader for iOS does not have an option to download cloud files directly to your iPhone/iPad for offline viewing.

Would you take a look at the following forum thread for a workaround?

Re: How do I download cloud document to local for offline access on iPad?

Once you download a copy of a cloud file from Adobe Document Cloud to your iPhone/iPad, the local copy may become out of sync with the latest version of the file (if changed) in Adobe Document Cloud.  Please be aware that the local files on your iPhone/iPad are not automatically sync'ed with the files in Adobe Document Cloud.

Hope this helps.

• 10. Re: Local storage
                            Jownagee Level 1

Yes I understand that, but it's quite pointless to do, loosing all of the cloud features sync I'm wanting in the app. I think this is quite a large design flaw, of which I beleive should be a high priority for an upcoming app update. This is the sort of thing which will push users to use other more useful services.

• 11. Re: Local storage
                              MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Another way to provide your feedback is to submit a feature request.

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Our Product Management team will take your feedback into consideration for a future release of Acrobat Reader for iOS.

• 12. Re: Local storage
                                Jownagee Level 1

Having just used the desktop version of Acrobat reader, I have encountered the same general problem. There is no offline viewing of documents and I have to download documents every time I want to view them. Along with this, I have discovered a bug where if I try to view any of my large files from Document Cloud, the application will stop responding and render me unable to view my document on the desktop.