13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 11:04 AM by A.T. Romano

How to work with large project?

Pulfnick

I have a large project, converting ~ 25 hours VCR tape to a 2 hour DVD.  VCR data was brought into digital format by WinTV software.  I have no problem adding this media to my project and working with it. My Problem:   Well into the project, Premiere Elements corrupts(?) some of the WinTV files it had and that I had successfully added to my project and edited - I haven't moved or renamed them.  It asks where one file in particular is and doesn't acknowledge it when I tell it where it is.  Sometimes this is fixed by re-adding the media for that segment and the segment again shows up as edited.  Sometimes I have to re-add the raw WinTV files into my project and re-edit them.  On some tapes, Premiere Elements creates an audio lag that I have to fix as I edit.  This makes editing VERY time consuming.  The total file size I'm working with at any time while editing is about 3 hours long.

What's the solution?  Can I create a number of small, say 15 minute finished segments, and then combine them to create my final project?  How?  Or is there something I can do to prevent Premiere Elements from apparently losing information it has processed?

• 1. Re: How to work with large project?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

If you are running Premiere Elements so that it is a 32 bit application, then you are likely running into level of computer resource issues and questions about the optimization of your computer.

A classical approach to working with a large project in small segments is often suggested. In this approach you would divide your project into smaller projects and export the individual exports to a format consistent with the whole project. Then you combine all those exports into one grand project for the final destination.

Some suggest the Lagarith.avi as a choice for the individual exports. In that situation, you download and install the Lagarith codec. It should then be available to you under the AVI export category.

It is important to remember that you cannot import a project file (project.prel) into another. So, you use a Share or Publish+Share/ route to export to the Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive.

Depending on the details of your project settings and properties of source media, other export choices might be usable.

Please review, consider, and supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to work with large project?
            Pulfnick Level 1

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm using Premiere Elements 13.1, updated. My computer has Windows 8.1, 3.40 GHz processor, 8.00 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Working with smaller projects and them combining them would be a good solution, but I can't find how to do that. I've worked with a few smaller projects without problems. Could you give me a Premiere Elements instruction site for this, or alternatively simple step by step instructions on how to combine separate projects into one?

Pulfnick

• 3. Re: How to work with large project?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

Thanks for the follow up.

If you give me details of your project settings and the properties of your source files, I will give you a step by step for what you describe.

The basic principles include

1. In project 1, import your source files into a project which has project settings to match the properties of the source media. Select export settings consistent with the project settings and export that Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive.

2. Repeat "1" for each segment of the main project that you are trying to build.

3. Then open a new project with project settings consistent with the properties of the exports from each of the individual projects.

4. Import in the new project all the files from the individual projects.

5. Export from this main project for your final complete export.

If I had 1920 x 1080p30 overall project, I would export each individual project to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30. (Each of the individual projects would have a NTSC\DSLR\1080p\DSLR 1080p30 project preset set by me (manually) or the project (automatically).

If I wanted instead to have the exports as Lagarith.avi instead of AVCHD.mp4, then download and install the Lagarith codec and for export using Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with choice of the Lagarith codec and customizing settings under the Advanced Button of the preset selected.

Please review and consider, and we will supply more information based on the details of your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to work with large project?
                Pulfnick Level 1

Thanks for your help. My frame width in both original and timeline project is 720, height 480. Original files going into Premiere Elements are mostly .ts, some .mpg. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the two file types to Premiere Elements. I didn't mention, the corrupted timeline has an orange line running along the length of the timeline video, about 3/4 the way up.

I'm going to try splitting a smaller, less complicated video into several pieces and try to recombine them. I assume if this works I can do it with the entire project.

• 5. Re: How to work with large project?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

The mini test run is always a good idea for the grand scale project.

.TS and .mpg here are file extension that are wrapping/containing, each wraps MPEG2 video compression. Some earlier versions, do not support files with the .TS file extension. But, Premiere Elements 13/13.1 does.

For the individual projects, I would suggest the project preset NTSC DV Standard and export of Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DV Standard. In the initial run I would set the project preset manually before you import the MPEG2.TS or MPEG2.mpg into the individual projects. To do that...

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                  • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                  • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.

When you get all the individual projects created and exported to MPEG2.mpg, then take all those MPEG2.mpg export into the new NTSC DV Standard project for the final export. You should get good results. Depending on the outcome, we can discuss pros and cons of alternative export format.

Please consider. We will be watching for further news.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: How to work with large project?
                    Pulfnick Level 1

I took a small project, broke it into four separate segments, but can't figure out how to recombine them. Taking the first segment and using Add Media just picks up the first Title in that segment, ignoring the rest of it.

I followed you recommendation below " For the individual projects, ..." but can't figure out how to export to MPEG2.mpg. How do I export a segment to join the previous segments? In my main, large project, I've invested a huge amount of time to edit down a about 25 hrs of VCR tape and don't want to have to enter raw data and then re-edit it.

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: How to work with large project?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

Thanks for the follow up.

You and I may be looking at doing a large project in small segments with a different perspective. So let us go over the possibilities for different interpretations of what is being suggested and done.

Way 1. My Original Interpretation.

You have a batch of source media and related files saved on the computer hard drive. If all imported into a Premiere Elements project, all in the same project would constitute a very large project and possibility be unmanageable in the editing. So, you decide to build the project in small segments, each segment in its own project. You take only the source media and related files for segment 1 into project 1 which has the NTSC DV Standard project preset. You do your editing and then export to a MPEG2.mpg file using Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with the NTSC DV Standard export preset. You save that file to a folder where you will be storing all the MPEG2.mpg from project 2, 3, 4, and however many required to make up the whole project in the new grand end project. This new grand end project set for NTSC DV Standard is the one into which you import all the MPEG2.mpg files that you have generated from projects 1, 2, 3, 4, and..... You review what you have in the new grand project Timeline, edit further as necessary and possible, and then export using a Publish+Share choice, presumably Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with preset = NTSC_Dolby DVD.

Way 2. Another Interpretation.

You have put everything into one NTSC DV Standard project and want to export portions of the Timeline content in small segments as MPEG2.mpg to be saved to the computer hard drive. These exports will be put together with other MPEG2.mpg exported segments to be imported into a new grand NTSC DV Standard project for final export. To this selective type of export from this one project Timeline, there are 2 must dos

1. You need to set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the segment for this selective export.

and

2. In the export area, you need a check mark next to "Share Work Area Bar Only" option in the export settings for your Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC  DV Standard.

3. All these selectively exported MPEG2.mpg can be stored in a folder and then imported from there into the new grand NTSC DV Standard project for final export.

Please review and consider, and then let me know if we are together on the details. If not, please do not hesitate to tell me where I need to fine tune the reply. I will supply some screenshots as indicated.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to work with large project?
                        Pulfnick Level 1

Thanks again for your help. Your description of Way 2 sounds like my best option. I'm stuck trying to do so however.

You said: 1. You need to set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the segment for this selective export.

I think you are referring to the gray area above the timeline with the two movable sliders that can be set as desired? I've played with these.

You said: 2. In the export area, you need a check mark next to "Share Work Area Bar Only" option in the export settings for your Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DV Standard.

I can't find an export area, export settings, or Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG. How can I get to these? As I understand your comment, I can select multiple clips by moving the sliders to include the clips I want and than create a copy of this in a new folder (I've created one namec MPEG2), and keep on adding such segments until I have my whole movie, and then use it by importing it (to another new file?).

This sounds like it will work, if I can figure out how to do the export/import.

Thanks again.

• 9. Re: How to work with large project?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

1. I thought I had posted a screenshot for those gray tabs of the Work Area Bar in the Edit area. Please refer to

WorkAreaBar.JPG

This screenshot is representative of Premiere Elements 13/13.1, 12/12.1, and 11 with regard to Work Area Bar and its gray tabs.

Those gray tabs can be set manually with the mouse curse to span the segment that you want to export selectively or you could use shortcuts.

The shortcuts are...

For placing the left gray tab...

Move the Timeline Indicator to the beginning of the segment, as you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, hit the left bracket key [

then

Move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the segment, as you hold down the Alt Key of the computer main keyboard, hit the right bracket key ]

In the screenshot shown, the tabs are set to span the whole video. You need to reset them to span just the segment for your selective export.

Just setting those tabs is not enough to get the selective export to work. In addition, you must have a check mark next to "Share Work Area Bar Only" in the export settings before you hit Save.

Now, the following is a serious complication when you write...

I can't find an export area, export settings, or Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG.

The screenshot shows Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Expert workspace with Publish+Share at the top right of the workspace. Do you not see that or have that? If you do not see that, what do you see instead?

1. You click on Publish+Share to see this

Publish+Share.JPG

Under Publish+Share, you select Computer (See screenshot).

When you click on Computer, you see

More Publish Share.JPG

At this stage...

1. You select MPEG

2. Presets = NTSC DVD Standard

3. To the right of the Advanced Button is a box for Share WorkArea Bar Only. Make sure you have a check mark next to it.

Create a folder at the Save In: location (maybe Documents), and direct all you MPEG2.mpg files to that folder.in documents.

4. Give the export a distinctive name and Save In: location.

5. Hit Save and wait for the export to complete successfully.

The above should give you the first of a series of MPEG2.mpg files that will get imported in a new and final Premiere Elements NTSC DV Standard project.

Please review and consider, and then let me know if you are OK with the above details. Please detail if and where you need supplemental information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: How to work with large project?
                            Pulfnick Level 1

OK, I think I've got it. I saw the "PublishShare" but ignored it as I was looking for " PublishShare/Computer/MPEG". Now I see what you're talking about and will try it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

• 11. Re: How to work with large project?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

Great news. Looking forward to your results.

At the point where I left you, you should be

a. selectively exporting a section of your Timeline to get the MPEG2.mpg file saved to your specially designed folder for all the present and future MPEG2.mpg files that you are going to export selectively.

b. So, before you hit Save in the export area, make sure that the Save in field in the export dialog is set to that special folder which could be in Documents, Videos, even Desktop.

Best wishes

ATR

• 12. Re: How to work with large project?
                                Pulfnick Level 1

I was able to split a test video into two parts and recombine them as you suggested. I expect to be able to work with my edited big project and put it together successfully now.

Thanks very much for all your patient help.

• 13. Re: How to work with large project?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

Wonderful news. Thanks for staying with the suggestions and getting them to work for you. Well done.

Please do not hesitate to ask if additional questions come up as you progress through your Premiere Elements workflow.

Best wishes

ATR