5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 5:12 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom crashes when exporting files

gordonb5746645

I am using the latest updated CC Lightroom edition a iMac and very time I try to export files they start to export then the system crashes, either causing the Mac to close down or just the screen to go blank for a few seconds before coming back on again.   This also occurs when using the Library mode to adjust photos/files  This never used to happen but in last two updates this is a continuing problem

I have a iMac 27inch late 2013 model 3.5GHz Intel core i7 with 32 GB memory and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB graphics card

What is causing these crashes as the memory checker suggest at least 85% memory free whilst using the machine and apart fromMail no other programmes are open whilst using Lightroom?

• 1. Re: Lightroom crashes when exporting files
          dj_paige Level 9

If the entire computer crashes, this normally indicates a hardware malfunction. One possible cause is that a fan has stopped working and your CPU is overheating.

• 2. Re: Lightroom crashes when exporting files
            gordonb5746645 Level 1

surely if that was the issue it would crash with other programmes such as Photoshop and other resource intensive programmes?

• 3. Re: Lightroom crashes when exporting files
              dj_paige Level 9

No, of course not.

Lightroom causes the CPU to work harder than most other programs.

• 4. Re: Lightroom crashes when exporting files
                gordonb5746645 Level 1

I would have thought that programmes such as Final Cut pro where video files are being used would use the same if not higher resources and this does not crash when I upload and work on video files which are HDR file. Lightroom is the only program that has this effect and that is only recently since upgrading to CC - so by default as the Mac is new and has been in for service for an issue whereby a Microsoft program caused issues the Mac team did not find any hardware problems then I think it is unlikely that the fan is not working but works with all other programmes?

• 5. Re: Lightroom crashes when exporting files
                  dj_paige Level 9

The point I was trying to make is that hardware malfunction is the PRIMARY reason for computers crashing. I pointed out that one POSSIBLE cause is that a fan has stopped working, and I did not intend to get into a debate on that point, nor did I want you to assume that overheating was indeed the cause in your case. There are other hardware issues that could also cause your computer to crash, and so it would be wise for you to investigate ALL of your hardware.

The only other reason I know of that can cause the entire computer to crash is an old or corrupted video driver.

There is no way that I know of (or that I have read about) where a Lightroom bug can cause the entire computer to crash.