13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 8:43 AM by jsanborn58

What's with all the underpowered systems?

Chase Chick Level 1

Did Adobe cc get released in a slew of third world countries or what?

This thread, once helpful, now seems overly littered with questions that go about like this:

I have an i3 with 2 gigs of ram. Is that enough?

I'm really not trying to make fun (ok maybe a little) but I'm really curious where this influx of bargain basement computer users is coming from.

• 1. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think that it has to do with the CC subscription becoming more attractive to the masses.

• 2. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
            Chase Chick Level 1

That might be it. I feel like an elitist, but I can't help but wonder what these guys are thinking with their i3's. I'm a participant on a Panasonic gh4 user group on Facebook, and the questions there are becoming increasingly out of control. Like people asking why they can't shoot in total darkness with kit lenses and not have noise. People wondering why they can't shoot wide open at f1.8 in video mode with no ND filters in broad daylight.

Perhaps Adobe can separate the forums into an advanced and beginner section?

• 3. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
              msp1518 Level 1

I'm an amateur compared to some of you guys, but I always research before asking and think many do not. Some of the questions being asked are kind of silly. 50% of the time I can find my answer without posting simply by searching. if i cannot find the answer, then I post.

Of course, creating two sections will result in the beginners section having zero answers as the experts will stick to that section. That's what always happens in forums.

• 4. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
                Chase Chick Level 1

I think they'll be able to get plenty of answer. But some of these guys on here aren't even receptive to answers.

Case in point.

Dude on here is wondering why after effects is "laggy." He's got 4 gigs of ram on his laptop. So I tell him that ae is ram intensive and that he needs more.

• 5. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
                  Chase Chick Level 1

Nonstop internal errors trying to post on here. Nice work Adobe.

• 6. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
                    Chase Chick Level 1

Instead of just slapping his own forehead and saying OK, he starts arguing with me about this.

• 7. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
                      Chase Chick Level 1

I actually felt like he would have been more receptive to a suggestion of (is this the source of the internal error)  in his laptop, or (this maybe?)  perhaps.

• 8. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
                        Chase Chick Level 1

At any rate, it doesn't take an "expert" to be able to tell someone that no, their crummy underpowered computer is not going to give you all world performance when running cpu intensive programs. I feel like a two tier forum would actually be for the betterment, because then beginners would not have to wade through topics they don't understand in order to get answers to simple questions. If anything, apart from no longer annoying the veterans, it would make things more accessible for them for the rooks.

• 9. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
                          Chase Chick Level 1

So if you type in the word "g-re-m-l-i-ns" or "v-o-o-d-o-o" this forum will automatically give you an "internal error" message and prevent you from posting.

Why?

• 10. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
                            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Chase Chick wrote:

I feel like a two tier forum would actually be for the betterment

It's hard enough getting people to post in the correct forum now.  That would make the moderators' jobs unmanageable.

• 11. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
                              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Simple answer: These haven't been updated in ages and represent minimum to run the applications. Running an application at a minimum level is fine for apps that don't have realtime requirement. Not so if they do. They really need to update these to a reasonable state and include a minimum spec for GPU acceleration and a recommended spec. The minimum spec should be listed as such along with the notes recommended spec is where you need to be for realtime performance.

• Intel Core2 Duo or AMD Phenom II processor with 64-bit support
                              • Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (64 bit) or Windows 8 (64 bit)
                              • 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
                              • 4 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
                              • Additional disk space required for preview files and other working files (10 GB recommended)
                              • 1280 x 800 display
                              • 7200 RPM or faster hard drive (multiple fast disk drives configured for RAID 0 recommended)
                              • Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
                              • QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features
                              • Optional: Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
                              • Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.*

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
                                JFPhoton Level 3

Eric is SO RIGHT !!!

My first editing machine was an Asus gaming laptop that had EXACTLY what Adobe said was the minimum needed to run Premiere Pro....a Core Two Duo CPU, 4 GB of memory, and an NVidia dedicated GPU.    I almost committed SUICIDE !!!.....it was so PAINFUL !! Even with two separate 7200rpm drives, PPro just CHOKED and ran like MOLASSES at the NORTH POLE !!!!  I tried EVERYTHING....especially transcoding all the footage to easier editing codecs.....even MPEG....to try and get anything done.  I could BARELY do anything....it was SO SLOW !!!

THEN I discovered this forum, and the advice of Harm Millard and Bill Gehrke here helped me to understand the REAL HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS needed for PPro to run smoothly. They saved me a lot of money by preventing me from investing in the wrong ,or, under powered hardware.  They explained how the software uses the hardware and why certain things were needed for things to run smoothly.

Their website : PPBM7.com has helped HUNDREDS of users evaluate their machines with a real video editing benchmark test they created. Its too bad Harm is no longer on this forum, as his advice was so helpful to so many people...especially novices.

Eric and Bill have contributed greatly here on giving test results and advice that will steer hardware buyers in the right direction.

I suggest a  " noob filter" be placed on this site so a real time moderator can push a button  which will consign any unintelligible inquiry into a "bin" for Best Buy salesmen to answer. This is because some people are TOO LAZY to read first on their own, before coming here to ask an intelligent question....they want someone else to do all the work FOR them.  I'm sure they would then REALLY learn quick when the Best Buy i3 with integrated graphics starts to SMOKE and BURN as they export the multi-layer 4K timeline to their 5400 RPM " USB 2 connected "Green Drive" !!!

• 13. Re: What's with all the underpowered systems?
                                  jsanborn58 Level 1

It's worse on the Adobe LiveCycle forum. A lot of users posting questions that are obvious the user has no experience or training. I think a lot of them take assignments based on a padded resume, then panic when they get their first assignment.