8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2015 1:34 PM by justmike65

Permissions in catalog different that on disk—can this be changed?

justmike65 Level 1

I have a Lightroom catalog that references images on a NAS. The images had permissions set to "read only" when they were imported into LR; since then the permissions on the disk have been changed to "read/write". A lot of keywording has been done on the images and now the metadata will not save to the photos because Lightroom still sees the permissions as read-only. Is there a way to use SQLite to change what Lightroom sees or is there a way to fix this without synchronizing the folders and losing the metadata? Thanks for any help on this.

Lightroom CC 2015

Mac Os X Yosemite 10.10.4

• 1. Re: Permissions in catalog different that on disk—can this be changed?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

In the permissions area of OS X there is an option to carry the Drive permissions down to folders and file.

Screen Shot 2015-07-06 at 12.08.07 PM.png

Unlock the get info panel, click the little Gear icon an select Apply to enclosed items. That will carry down to all folder and files those same permissions.

NOTE: Do not do that on the system drive, Macintosh HD.

• 2. Re: Permissions in catalog different that on disk—can this be changed?
            justmike65 Level 1

Thanks, but the permissions are okay in the file system—they are not okay in Lightroom. It is not seeing that the files now have read/write.

• 3. Re: Permissions in catalog different that on disk—can this be changed?
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AFAIK, Lightroom does not store any information on whether a referenced directory is writable or not. It will try again every time you ask it to, so my guess is the same as shootist that the permissions are not quite right yet. You might want to ensure that the main permissions are carried down the folder structure by using the Apply to enclosed items thing.

• 4. Re: Permissions in catalog different that on disk—can this be changed?

LR has nothing to do with File permissions. That is all handled, assigned, by the OS and what the User chooses.

By just changing the Read/Write permission on the drive does not change permission on folder and files already on the drive. It only changes the permissions for the ROOT of the drive and for NEW folders and files created on that drive. That is unless you do as I suggested in my above post and "Apply to enclosed items". Then those permissions are carry down throughout all folder and files already on the drive.

Every folder and file on any drive can have completely different R/W permissions.

Do as you please and don't listen to someone that does actually knows what they are talking about.

• 5. Re: Permissions in catalog different that on disk—can this be changed?
                  justmike65 Level 1

Shootistbond007 wrote:

LR has nothing to do with File permissions. That is all handled, assigned, by the OS and what the User chooses.

By just changing the Read/Write permission on the drive does not change permission on folder and files already on the drive. It only changes the permissions for the ROOT of the drive and for NEW folders and files created on that drive. That is unless you do as I suggested in my above post and "Apply to enclosed items". Then those permissions are carry down throughout all folder and files already on the drive.

Every folder and file on any drive can have completely different R/W permissions.

Do as you please and don't listen to someone that does actually knows what they are talking about.

I can not use finder to change the permissions because it is on a NAS and the NAS system takes precedence. The permissions were changed via a shell script and the permissions were propagated to the folders, recursively. I just inspected each of the 12 levels of folders in the directory and they all have read/write, but when I try to save the changes in Lightroom, it says there is a permissions issue. Somehow, there is a difference between what Lightroom sees and what Finder shows. I did not mean to seem dismissive of your answer—thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Permissions in catalog different that on disk—can this be changed?
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In that case, the OS must still be confused and telling Lightroom the wrong thing. Try unmounting and remounting the NAS disk.  If that fails, in Lightroom, control or right click on the main folder location and do an update folder location but point at the same place it was pointing already.

• 7. Re: Permissions in catalog different that on disk—can this be changed?

How is the NAS formatted?

How did you get image files on it in the first place? If it only has Read permission you certainly could not of Copied the images on it from a Mac using OS X.

There should be a Utility in the NAS for formatting and changing file permissions. Most all these type boxes have a Webpage base configuration system that you access from a browser.

Depending on how the NAS is formatted it probably isn't a R/W permissions problem but a problem that OS X can't Write to that format. Like if it is formatted Windows NTFS. OS X can read all day from NTFS formatted drives but it can't Write to it.

• 8. Re: Permissions in catalog different that on disk—can this be changed?
                        justmike65 Level 1

Updating the folder location seemed to work—thanks for that!