9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2015 9:03 AM by MissM2

Method for separating copyrighted from non-copyrighted photos

MissM2 Level 1

Hello. I wanted to ask how other people file and designate their *officially copyrighted* (via the US Copyright Office) photos for easy retrieval/search? I am planning to send a batch of photos off to the copyright office every couple of weeks and I am trying to find the best way to file them so I know what has been sent off and what needs to be sent off. How do other people manage this? Note: I have the word Copyright and corresponding date in the Lightroom metadata, but I am referring to is a way to manage the photos that have been sent to the copyright office vs. those that have not. Thank you!

• 1. Re: Method for separating copyrighted from non-copyrighted photos
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are many ways in which you can do this. One is simply setting the copyright status metadata tag from "unknown" to "copyrighted" and than you can use filters to find registered and unregistered images by filtering on that. Another is to generate some simple keywords that indicate this status and make those keywords so that they don't export. The trick is to be consistent with these. Another thing is to simply generate a collection and drop any images in there that you have sent in for registration. You can then easily filter on that by using smart collections as those can filter on being in a collection or not.

• 2. Re: Method for separating copyrighted from non-copyrighted photos
            MissM2 Level 1

Thank you, Jao. I will try collections.

• 3. Re: Method for separating copyrighted from non-copyrighted photos
              dj_paige Level 9

While collections does allow you to separate the copyrighted photos from other photos, the copyright information cannot be written to the files themselves if you use collections.

If you use the copyright metadata field to indicate copyright (or use a keyword), this can then be written to the photos themselves. Seems like a valuable piece of protection for roughly the same amount of effort as using collections. You would need to turn on the feature to automatically write metadata to XMP.

• 4. Re: Method for separating copyrighted from non-copyrighted photos
                MissM2 Level 1

Hi @dj_paige, I do already have 'write to XMP' set, and I do already note everything as copyrighted (as it is the moment you take the photo)---so--should the officially copyrighted photos copyright ID be put in that data? And if so, how do I quickly separate those from the ones that have not been officially copyrighted? Sounds like a good solution might be to do that and also collections as @Jao vdL mentioned. Thoughts?

• 5. Re: Method for separating copyrighted from non-copyrighted photos
                  dj_paige Level 9

Okay, I didn't read clearly, you are setting the Copyright field to Copyrighted, so writing to XMP places this information in the file as well.

There is no need to have the field set to Copyrighted AND put the photos in a collection. In fact, it is twice the work but not close to twice the benefit. You can use the Filter Bar to search for all copyrighted photos, and even save that search for future use; you can do the same thing by creating a smart collection. Both of these methods update automatically every time a new photo is set to "Copyrighted". With an ordinary collection, you are required to perform an update of the collection manually, every single time you copyright a photo, and if you forget even once, then your collection is incorrect.

• 6. Re: Method for separating copyrighted from non-copyrighted photos

I think MissM2 is referring to something else. She sets all images to copyrighted by default as she should as any photo you take is copyrighted from the moment you hit the shutter. I do the same thing upon ingesting images from my camera with a metadata preset that sets the copyrighted status field to copyrighted and the copyright field to my name (to make it show up on the standard watermark). However if you now want to distinguish between which photos have been uploaded for registration at the copyright office, which is always a subset of the copyrighted images you have as again every image is copyrighted but only a few might be ones you want to register for full protection or you simply do that only once a month or so. To make that distinction, you have to use collections or a special keyword or a designated other metadata field, you can't use the copyrighted field since you are already setting that for every image.

• 7. Re: Method for separating copyrighted from non-copyrighted photos
                      MissM2 Level 1

Thank you, Jao. Yes, that's correct. I will use your suggestion. I will add "official" (or something similar) to the metadata Label section so it can be filtered that way.

Just out of curiosity, do you or would you add the ID assigned by the copyright office for that photo in the metadata, too? I'm not sure if there is a common industry practice for that or not (part of the reason I had trouble finding an answer when looking online initially.) Of course each photographer does what works for them, but have not seen anything related to that issue.

Thank you Jao vdL and dj_paige for your help!

• 8. Re: Method for separating copyrighted from non-copyrighted photos

There really is no standard for that that I know off. I don't bother but I am sure some people do. I googled a little and found a few articles with workflows basically like I describe above: Image Copyright Workflow With Using Adobe Lightroom - Lightroom Fanatic. That also doesn't describe doing that step.

• 9. Re: Method for separating copyrighted from non-copyrighted photos
                          MissM2 Level 1

Thank you for sending that article, Jao--it helps! Now I have a lot of work to do