3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 1:53 PM by A.T. Romano

How Do I Change Frame Rates In Adobe Premier-Elements?

J_The_Third

A co-worker came back from her vacation and asked me to "burn her vacation footage onto a DVD." I want very much to make a movie of my co-worker's videos, but it's been frustrating. Now I'm obsessed with "getting it right;" I've spent on new equipment (a DVD/Blue Ray burner) and brought my computer to the shop for a thorough tune-up, but so far nothing's worked. She shot the pictures at 29 frames per second, using a GoPro 4 Silver camera. Being brand new to movie making, I've been using the default settings, including the default frame rate. The first pass wasn't too bad, but every attempt at "rendering to smooth the footage" has made it progressively worse. Is there a way I can change the frame rate in Premier-Elements to work smoothly with 29 FPS? Or do I have to "just live with it." Or surrender and say, "It Can't Be Done" and "seek help" from mental health professionals?

• 1. Re: How Do I Change Frame Rates In Adobe Premier-Elements?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

j_the_third

What version of Premiere Elements on what computer operating system?

There are lots of resolutions possible for the GoProSilver 4. Which one did she use? Please refer to choices in link.

http://shop.gopro.com/hero4/hero4-silver/CHDHY-401.html

From the specifications, it looks like the format is H.264.mp4 which should be compatible with Premiere Elements.

What is your intended burn to DVD - DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc?

Just in case mention, AVCHD format on DVD does not play back on a regular DVD player. You need Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of the multi media players that supports AVCHD DVD.

The plan - please find out the details of your source video, let me know what the final product will be. Goal 1 is to make sure that you are setting up the project correctly and not depending on default to see you through this. Rendering the Timeline content does not fix the video. It just gives the best possible preview of what you have. It is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. Let us start by assuring that we have the best possible project settings for importing, editing, and exporting your source video.

Please review and consider, and then I will customize a workflow for you to explore.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How Do I Change Frame Rates In Adobe Premier-Elements?
            J_The_Third Level 1

My current version of Premier Elements is 13.1, downloaded about a week ago

My operating system is Windows 8.1, downloaded a few months ago, when it came out.

My co-worker's camera is a GoPro 4 Silver. It was brand new out of the box, the day she started filming with it. Now she tells me she "filmed in 1080 and 4K," which may also account for a few things. I did look at the "properties" of one video clip, and it said, "29 frames per second." I'm not sure what the rest of them are. What deepens the mystery is that GoPro Silver 4 cameras can shoot in everything from VGA to 4K, with at least 100 different combinations of resolution and frame rate. I know this because I sell cameras, and the GoPros are among the lines my store carries. And since this was a novice videographer with a brand new camera, no telling what those clips were filmed at.

I looked at the GoPro link provided and I noted that the cameras, themselves, are all the same. The differences between the versions are the accessories -- waterproof case with helmet-style sticky mounts, waterproof case with surfboard mount, or no case, with a band mount and a couple of "musical instrument mounts."

Which brings up the next question: Is it possible to combine clips of different frame rates under one standard? Or will I be better off making several shorter videos, each according to its own frame rate?

As for burning a DVD, I've tried "DVD" and "BlueRay." I'm not sure what the other formats are. At this point, all I'm trying to do is create a DVD of some sort that she can put into her DVD/Blue Ray player and sit down to watch with her family. Put more simply, I just want to get that $#!@ video outta my computer.

• 3. Re: How Do I Change Frame Rates In Adobe Premier-Elements?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

j_The_Third

Thank you. I got the message. In view of that, let us minimize the typical detailed considerations, go for what we can, and see what we get. I say this since it would appear that you are not going to target in on the exact properties of the recordings involved.

For the sake of resolution, we are going to go for Blu-ray format on Blu-ray disc with the burn to preset = the default H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby.

1. Open Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to the Expert workspace. Using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets, import your source media into the project. If you have an orange line over them when they get to the Timeline, ignore and move forward or render the Timeline to get the best possible preview. That is not going to fix any problems. That is just going to let you know what you have. If you see black borders anywhere, click on the monitor to bring up the image's bounding box, click draw one of the bounding box's handles to scale the image to give it a perfect fit in the Edit area monitor space.

2. Had you intended to edit these videos or just move them on to one disc (Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc or otherwise)? Edits and menus are another area of discussion. In its simplest form, ignore the menus and go AutoPlay.

3. Use a BD-RE 25 GB disc to cut your losses on BD-R 25 GB discs. You can reuse the BD-RE. What is on it will be overwritten in Premiere Elements.

If the above shortcuts and run throughs work, great idea. If not, bad idea, and then a lot of not dotting and i's and crossing the t's which may cost you in the result.

Consider and then let us see where we are at.

Thanks.

ATR