11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 7:32 AM by A.T. Romano

Plays for a second & stops?

stevejayvideo77 Level 1

adobe premiere elements 12 When I import video and start it...it plays for a second and then stops. It was shot at PF30. I have a PC with 16GB of RAM. Has worked fine before and I have also had this problem before. I don't know why except to say there may be something with the settings? Steve

• 1. Re: Plays for a second & stops?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

stevejayvideo77

Premiere Elements on what computer operating system - Windows what?

What are the properties of this video

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive (with the PF30 designation, probably Progressive and from a Canon camera)

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

An easy and quick way to get at those properties is by you telling us (confirming) brand/model/settings for camera that recorded the video.

What are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting as the project preset to match the properties of those source media? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out).

When you had this problem before was it

a. with video from same source with same settings

b. same version of Premiere Elements on same computer operating system?

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do so.

We will be watching for your reply with details which will help us to help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Plays for a second & stops?
            stevejayvideo77 Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

stevejayvideo77

Premiere Elements on what computer operating system - Windows what?   Updated to PE 12.1; Windows 7 Pro-  1.78 free of 931 GB; 16GB RAM Intel Core i7; 2600 CPU@3.40GHZ

Canon Vixia HF 20

What are the properties of this video MTS File 315 MB

Video compression ?

Audio compression -- 48000HZ Compressed Stereo

Frame Size   W1920 H1080

Frame Rate   29 frames/second

Interlaced or Progressive (with the PF30 designation, probably Progressive and from a Canon camera)-- PF30; MXP - 24MBPS

File Extension-- MTS

Pixel Aspect Ratio--1.0

An easy and quick way to get at those properties is by you telling us (confirming) brand/model/settings for camera that recorded the video. Canon Vixia HF 20

What are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting as the project preset to match the properties of those source media? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out).

PROJECT SETTINGS (From Properties Adobe 12)

Editing Mode HD 1080i

Time Base 29.97 Frames per second

Frame Size 1920 x 1080

Display Format 30fps drop Frame Time Code

Capture Format HDV

Video Render

Maximum Bit Depth NOT checked

PREVIEWS   I Frame Only MPEG

Compressor  MPEG I Frame

Optimize Stills (checked)

When you had this problem before was it

a. with video from same source with same settings Don't know but I remember it was a setting.  This is not allowing me to change settings

b. same version of Premiere Elements on same computer operating system? Elements 10

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do so.   -DONE

We will be watching for your reply with details which will help us to help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Plays for a second & stops?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the excellent details.

1. You do not have the correct project preset for your source media. You have 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second, and your project settings appear to be for 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. If you are letting the project determine the project settings based on its analysis of the properties of what is first dragged to the Timeline, it is not doing it correctly. In that case, you will need to set the project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30@29.97.

To do that, follow the following steps

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
              • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

2. But, I do not believe that the above is enough to bring the project down with the short play stop in the Edit area. What I suspect is the case involves computer resources unless there is a typing error in your details. Please look at the amount of free hard drive space (1.78 GB) on your computer hard drive (assumed Local Disk C)...you wrote

Updated to PE 12.1; Windows 7 Pro-  1.78 free of 931 GB; 16GB RAM Intel Core i7; 2600 and included CPU@3.40GHz

Everything else sounds great until you get to the part about free hard drive space. Where are you project's Scratch Disks directed and how much free space is at this location? What are your sources of free hard drive space...just Local Disc C? Just how much of that 16 GB installed RAM is available?

Please consider, and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Plays for a second & stops?
                stevejayvideo77 Level 1

A.T. Thanks for all the good info. I think I have it.  I have another question.  On Adobe 12, I always see a icon of a scissors and then the clip stops.  How do I get rid of this.  It is in the audio, video area on the bottom.

Thanks,

Steve

• 5. Re: Plays for a second & stops?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Scisssors.jpg

If so, that scissors tab on the stem of the Timeline Indicator is not removable. When you want to cut a video, you move the Timeline Indicator to the place where you want the cut and click on the scissors tab. (Depending on the Timeline structure, you may have to select the specific clip wanted first before using cutting.)

As an alternate to get the cut, you could move the Timeline Indicator to the place for the cut and then use Ctrl+K instead of clicking on the scissors tab on the stem of the Timeline Indicator.

Please review and consider. If clarification needed, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Plays for a second & stops?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

I just noticed...the Timeline Indicator in the Quick workspace does not have the scissors tab. But, I do not think it worthwhile working in the Quick workspace to avoid the Expert workspace's Timeline Indicator with the scissors tab on its stem.

ATR

• 8. Re: Plays for a second & stops?
                      stevejayvideo77 Level 1

A.T.- I knew there was some info that I did not give you.  I’m not even sure if it means anything The camera has a setting of PF3o which I have been using lately but it also is set to High Quality MXP 24 Mbps.  Not sure if these means anything.  Canon HD Vixia HF20.

Thanks,

Steve

• 9. Re: Plays for a second & stops?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Sounds like your video is 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second, AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression...not sure what the file extension is. Audio looks like Dolby Digital Stereo.

With that format I would expect the project preset to be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30@29.97

But, next time you import this video into Premiere Elements using Expert workspace Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets, please right click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets, select Interpret Footage, and let us know what it is showing for Frame Rate from file in the Frame Rate section of the Interpret Footage dialog.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Plays for a second & stops?
                          stevejayvideo77 Level 1

A.T. If I do the following will it take away the thread for me to access?

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7764693#7764693 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Thanks,

Steve

• 11. Re: Plays for a second & stops?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Marking a post correct in a thread should not close the thread. You and others should still be able to post in it.

ATR