7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 9:14 AM by dj_paige

How can I match a RAW to a JPG file with a different filename?

callmedoug

This may seem like a strange request but here is the workflow.

1) shoot photo in RAW+JPG (file name IMG_0001)

2) using wireless tether, send JPG file to Computer into Folder A

3) Program monitoring Folder A - Changes the filename of JPG based on certain parameters (JPG now named ABC_123_0001.jpg)

4) Program moves JPG with new filename to Folder B

5) Folder B is monitored by Lightroom, and auto-imports file to Lightroom.

RESULT:

- JPG photo named ABC_123_0001.jpg in Lightroom

- RAW + JPG named IMG_0001.cr2 on Camera

After my shoot,  I want to Import the RAW files to Lightroom and want to match the RAW file (IMG_0001.CR2) to JPG file (ABC_123_0001.jpg), and rename the RAW file to match the JPG file.

Is there a lightroom plugin or other method that can rename my RAW files based on on capture date/time on import?

I have seen that photosmith has a plugin that does this based on the capture time/date for eye-fi, but I don't use eyefi as it is not reliable for wifi.

I do use a MAC, so using Automator to rename RAW files based on the jpg capture date/time could be an option if that is possible, I just don't know. 

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: How can I match a RAW to a JPG file with a different filename?
          dj_paige Level 9

You can auto-stack photos by capture time, this does not depend on the file names matching

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Group photos into stacks

Given the above, I don't understand why you have to have to make the file names match

• 2. Re: How can I match a RAW to a JPG file with a different filename?
            callmedoug Level 1

Thanks dj this is indeed helpful,

I still need to rename the RAW to match the JPG, this is because the jpg name is used for some other automated things including download URL and Photo Processing integration.

The program the changes the JPG name was custom made Event Software to allow me to rename files based on QR codes so the new filename actually holds information that allows me to know specifically who a photo is for.  Think if it like what Disney uses - shoot QR, take pic, Pic holds QR info in filename.  Originally I had it written for a wired tether where I was pushing the RAW file through the program.  but for wireless, pushing a RAW file takes too long.  So I was hoping to figure out a way to push a Small JPG, and then match the RAW later.

• 3. Re: How can I match a RAW to a JPG file with a different filename?
              dj_paige Level 9

I still need to rename the RAW to match the JPG, this is because the jpg name is used for some other automated things including download URL and Photo Processing integration.

This is not a convincing explanation to me.

If you have the JPG to have the proper name, and the RAW is matched to it even if the RAW has a different file name, then the problem is ... ???

• 4. Re: How can I match a RAW to a JPG file with a different filename?
                callmedoug Level 1

because the jpg is a very small file, and I actually am working with the RAW file in Lightroom.  The software needs the file I actually am using for printing or digital distribution must match the LOG it creates.  I am only sending the small JPG so I can work wirelessly, I don't want to use that file.

The Event software creates a specific log file that allows me to automatically send in 1000's of photos from processing with my photo processor.  It does this by importing the filename plus the client name and other details directly into the photo processors software.  I simply upload the corresponding photos into their online software, and the filenames are matched between photos and my uploaded log. I save hours and hours of work manually matching photos to clients.

Another example is I can assign a random code to each client, which allows the software to create a custom URL for a digital download of the photo.  for example the software renames photo to A1B2C3D4_0001.jpg,  it also logs the URL www.portz.ca/download/projectx/A1B2C3D4.hmtl.  I can give the client the QR code I just scanned before taking their photos, it has that URL on it.  They go to that URL and get their photos.  If the filenames don't match I would have to manually change the filenames for that client to A1B2C3D4_xxxx so my software will know where to put the photos.

If there is a way to use the JPG name on export of the RAW file to match, that will also work.  just not sure I can do that.

Hopefully this makes sense.  in the end I really need the RAW file to match the jpg name.

• 5. Re: How can I match a RAW to a JPG file with a different filename?
                  dj_paige Level 9

Can't the program monitoring software change both the JPG and RAW to the same name?

• 6. Re: How can I match a RAW to a JPG file with a different filename?
                    callmedoug Level 1

unfortunately I didn't have it written to do that.  It does know the original file name, as well as the new one, but I am still in the same boat for some of the functionality that I need to export that RAW file out of Lightroom with the same name as the jpg.

I just found a plugin that does what I need, but it is for photosmith and eyefi. (I don';t use eye-fi, so don' think this specific plugin will work for me).  Basically I need to do what this plugin can do - 1.8.3 Proxy JPG Workflow – Photosmith for iPad Support, User Feedback & Ideas

• 7. Re: How can I match a RAW to a JPG file with a different filename?
                      dj_paige Level 9

Well this is such a unique workflow that I'm pretty sure Lightroom doesn't do what you want. Perhaps there is a plug-in for Lightroom does this, you ought to do a search.