5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 2:14 PM by MikeGondek

Reducing InDesign PDF file size, by cropping images to the InDesign frame or rasterize.

MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We are a packaging design firm placing Illustrator PDFs to make a multipage InDesign PDF for creative review with client.

We need only show the front panel of the packaging and the Illustrator PDF, which contains the entire package. I am looking for a way to sue the existing Illustrator PDFs, and crop the image outside the InDesign frame/container.  I have used reduce file size and PDF optimizer extensively, but even after that if you open the pdf in Illustrator you can see all the other data outside the clipping mask.

The InDesign PDFs are 150 dpi RGB and am trying to stay under 10mb so we can email a 12 page PDF. The first and last pages are cover pages, so they really do not add to the file size, it is the inner pages which show all the flavors in a brand category. If you have any other suggestions please reply but am looking to

1. crop the image to the frame after PDF is made to eliminate content outside of mask
      2. rasterize the image as an alternative to above
        • 1. Re: Reducing InDesign PDF file size, by cropping images to the InDesign frame or rasterize.

Below are my settings and Crop Image Data to Frames is checked. Gessing this only crops bitmapped images and not PDFs in InDesgin frames.

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 10.36.03 AM.png

I also tried in InDesign

Object >> Object Export Images

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 10.45.02 AM.png

Somewhere between 150 & 200 dpi is acceptable for these pdfs, but cropping the images is the main issue I want to resolve.

• 2. Re: Reducing InDesign PDF file size, by cropping images to the InDesign frame or rasterize.
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

rasterize the image as an alternative to above

If this is just for preview you could flatten and rasterize the entire page to 150ppi and that will likely make a much smaller file size depending on the complexity of the vectors in the package design. I think you'll just have to try. To get the page to rasterize there needs to be a transparent object somewhere on the page, so you could put a small rectangle on the master page and set it to 0 transparency.

Make sure there's no 4-channel CMYK

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 12.00.05 PM.png

Force all rasters to 150ppi and flatten the page via Acrobat 4 compatibility. If you have transparent effects in the design you might get stitching:

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 11.59.06 AM.png

Make an all raster flattener preset

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 12.00.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 12.18.25 PM.png

I tested a single page with the above and got 456k to 87k

• 3. Re: Reducing InDesign PDF file size, by cropping images to the InDesign frame or rasterize.

Thank you Rob this is very helpful. My file size went from 8.9mb to 6.7mb with your method at 200 dpi. When I attach 6.7mb goes to 8.6mb in outlook, I assume this is either a false positive or has to do with block size and attachment going through email server.

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 2.57.01 PM.png

Will try 150 dpi, but have to put out some other fires.  Would still like the ability to individually rasterize objects within InDesign, so looking for more input, please reply as Adobe really should address this issue which could significantly cut internet traffic, or minimally add an option to making PDFs to bitmap the file.  I remember doing this on the PC with the PDF writer, but not sure if tag option exists in InDesign.

• 4. Re: Reducing InDesign PDF file size, by cropping images to the InDesign frame or rasterize.
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Will try 150 dpi, but have to put out some other fires.

Just remember the flattener preset is going to drive the resolution of vectors converted into rasters, so you have set the res in both places. And the compression setting should have more effect because of the repeating pixels, but I'm not sure it will always work to flatten and rasterize everything—I think it really depends on the complexity of the AI drawings.

Do you really have to do email? You can't use Dropbox? Or post the PDF so the client can view in a browser?

• 5. Re: Reducing InDesign PDF file size, by cropping images to the InDesign frame or rasterize.

So 150 dpi gave me a 4.2mb rather than 6.7mb, that is really good. But the quality of our companies brand marks on the bottom of each page looks poor, so will have to work on this. If anyone has a way to target a specific graphic to bitmap/rasterize in InDesgin, please reply.

Below is a sample of our logo looking blurry.

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 4.09.22 PM.png