4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 6:42 AM by MobileDeveloperCK

Why can't I edit some PDFs on my ipad

vickyb1742237

hi,

ive ive upgraded to Adobe DC Pro on my iPad, but I can only edit some PDFs that I've created On another PC, does anyone know how I can rectify this please?

• 1. Re: Why can't I edit some PDFs on my ipad
          MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi,

"Adobe DC Pro" - Do you have the Adobe Adobe Pro DC paid subscription service to edit PDFs in Acrobat Reader for iOS on your iPad?

Would you explain what you mean by "can't edit some PDFs" on your iPad?  What kind of editing operations do you have in mind?  Editing text? Commenting? Form Filling?

Do you see an error message?  Are some of your documents locked due to document restrictions/permissions?

If you are willing to share your PDF documents (that exhibit the problem) with us, we'd be happy to examine them and determine the reason(s) why your PDF documents are not editable.

Thank you.

• 2. Re: Why can't I edit some PDFs on my ipad
            vickyb1742237 Level 1

Hi,

Yes, I've paid the subscription for Adobe DC Pro to edit PDFs in Acrobat Reader on my iOS iPad. I can click on some PDFs and all the text boxes appear and I can delete and type in new text very easily, but in some documents the text boxes don't appear and I can't delete any text or insert the text in its place.

IF I send the document who would see it please?

thank you

• 3. Re: Why can't I edit some PDFs on my ipad

Hi,

It sounds like your PDF documents are encrypted with some document permissions/restrictions.

When you open any of your PDF Documents in Acrobat Reader for iOS, do you see the lock icon in the bottom bar of the "Viewer" screen?

I just sent you the instructions on how to share the your PDF documents in a separate email.

Thank you for your help!

• 4. Re: Why can't I edit some PDFs on my ipad

Hi,

Thank you for sending us the shared link to your PDF document!

We took a look at your PDF document.  It is a scanned PDF document that contains no text.

It's not possible to edit text or add text markup annotations (Highlight, Underline, Strokeout) to scanned PDF documents.

You need to turn scanned PDF documents into PDF documents with editable text using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) tool.  Acrobat Pro DC (desktop app) has a built-in OCR feature.

Because you have the Adobe Adobe Pro DC paid subscription service, you should be able to activate and register Acrobat Pro DC desktop app on your Windows/Mac computer.

Please take a look at the following pages.

Convert PDF to instantly editable text, OCR software | Adobe Acrobat DC

Edit scanned PDF | Adobe Acrobat DC tutorials

Unfortunately, the OCR feature is not available in the Acrobat Reader mobile apps (for iOS, Android, Windows Phone).

Hope this helps.