2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 11:46 AM by JimHess

performance degraded in LR6/cc2015

Califdan2 Level 1

HI,

What's with the degraded performance in LR6 (CC 2015)?  I know Adobe touted their improved performance using GPU but I have that turned off and performance is still notably worse than 5.7 in the import process and is very unpredictable. 

I am importing 564 CR2's from a Canon 7dmk2 (aproximatly 13.7gb).  The process I'm using is that I have the CR2's on my internal "C" drive and in the import process I'm "Copying to DNG" and placing the DNG's into a different folder on my internal "C" drive

Yesterday, with LR CC-2015 I launched it and after 5 hours it had converted 401 of the 564 images and I cancelled it.

Today I did more specific timings.  I performed 2 tests, with each test being done on both LR CC-2015 and on LR5.7.  Each time using the same set of CR2 images and saving the converted DNG's to the same folder.  Between each test I removed the images of the prior test from the Catalog and deleted the DNG's from the destination folder. 

Test 1 = 100 CR2 images from Canon 7Dmk2.  CR2’s between 25 and 35 mgb each

LR 5.7

Convert to DNG finished at 4 min 50 sec

Create Previews finished at 5 min 35 sec

Total time 5 min 35 sec

LR CC-2015

Copy & Import task finished at 50 sec

Build Previews finished at 4 min 3 sec

Convert to DNG finished at 5 min 57 sec

Total time 5 min 57 sec

So, for 100 images, not all that different.

---------------------------

Test 2 = 500 images from same camera

LR 5.7

Convert to DNG finished at 15 min

Create Previews finished at 18 min 48 sec

Total time 18 min 48 sec

LR CC-2015

Copy & Import task finished at 8 min 25 sec

Build Previews finished at 21 min 40 sec

Convert to DNG finished at 31 Min 43 sec

Total time 31 min 43 Sec

So today's test was way better than yesterdays so maybe something else in my computer was bogging things down yesterday.  However, in just today's test, we have  18 min vs 31 min to complete the import.  But, according to other input, Adobe changed the process in LR cc-2015 so that one could start processing images faster by first copying the native RAW files to the destination folder,  then simultaneously building the previews and converting the RAW images to DNG's.  So, to be fair, let's look at the timings up to the completion of the previews being ready - even if the DNG's are not fully created.  In 5.7 that was 18 min, in CC-2015 that was 21 min so even considering that idea, it's still worse.  

Although 2 or 3 minutes is not a big deal, this is on my beefy desktop.  When I'm traveling and sitting in a hotel room doing this on my small laptop and want to go to sleep after a long day shooting the time difference is measured in an hour or more which late at night is significant - especially if you have a dawn shoot the next day.

Are other folks seeing the same thing?  Does anyone know of a fix?  Does Adobe read these posts (if so please give us a preference to use the old process)?

Thanks -- Dan

• 1. Re: performance degraded in LR6/cc2015
          dj_paige Level 9

Yes, this has been widely reported, Copy as DNG now has an extra step which does indeed slow things down compared to Lightroom 5.

There is no fix. The only way to speed things up is to not Copy as DNG.

People from Adobe rarely read these posts. If you want to submit a bug report or feature request, there is a link on the front page of this forum.

• 2. Re: performance degraded in LR6/cc2015
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The "problem" in Lightroom CC/6 is that Adobe changed when the conversion takes place. They decided to import the raw files directly first, and then convert them in the background after they've had been copied to the computer. The idea was, I think, that this would seem to be faster. It would allow you to start working on the first images more quickly while you are waiting for the other images to be converted. I personally don't convert to DNG normally. But when I have converted it hasn't seemed to get in the way.