8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 9:51 AM by A.T. Romano

When trying to view and edit 4K videos I have created, Adobe Premiere Elements is very sketchy and skips a A LOT! Also video is not clear at all. I have a Intel Core I7 Processor. Am I viewing incorrectly? What can I do to fix? Even did this when I backed

joshuam67301863

When trying to view and edit 4K videos that I have created it is very sketchy and glitch. Also is video is not clear at all. I have a intel core I7 Processor. Am I viewing incorrectly? What can I do to fix? Even does this when I backed video down to 1080.

• 1. Re: When trying to view and edit 4K videos I have created, Adobe Premiere Elements is very sketchy and skips a A LOT! Also video is not clear at all. I have a Intel Core I7 Processor. Am I viewing incorrectly? What can I do to fix? Even did this when I ba
          A.T. Romano Level 7

joshuam

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is a description of your computer environment beyond Intel core I7 Processor?

What is the source of this 4K video? Since 4K is a resolution, what do you have in the way of video compression, frame rate, and file extension? What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video?

What is the project preset that you are setting manually or the project is selecting automatically based on the properties of the source media?

See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

When you are talking about very sketchy and glitch and not clear, are you referring to what you are seeing at playback of the rendered or unrendered Timeline in the Edit area monitor? If no orange line over Timeline content, any improvement in what you are seeing if you right click the Edit area monitor and select Playback Quality, followed by Highest instead of Automatic?

What is your intended export for this Timeline content? What does a mini test run export of that Timeline content look like - OK or with all the issues cited above by you?

Let us start here, and then decide what next based on the details of your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: When trying to view and edit 4K videos I have created, Adobe Premiere Elements is very sketchy and skips a A LOT! Also video is not clear at all. I have a Intel Core I7 Processor. Am I viewing incorrectly? What can I do to fix? Even did this when I ba
            joshuam67301863 Level 1

It is adobe premiere elements 13 on windows 7.

64 bit

Its is 4K 60 frames from a DJI Inspire 1 Drone camera. Ext. .MOV

I am just adding video manually and then rendering the entire strip but still having issues.

The video card is compliant, I can view the 1080 clips with no problems on windows media player but is very blurry and skipping on elements.

I manually import a clip and all playback is very sketchy and glitchy. I changed the playback to Highest and it made it even worse.

I intend to export clips for clients to view for Ag decisions.

I am not sure how to preform a mini export.

What worries me most is that Windows media player will playback 1080 clips no problem and my software I purchased will not.

Thanks for help,

• 3. Re: When trying to view and edit 4K videos I have created, Adobe Premiere Elements is very sketchy and skips a A LOT! Also video is not clear at all. I have a Intel Core I7 Processor. Am I viewing incorrectly? What can I do to fix? Even did this when I ba
              A.T. Romano Level 7

joshuam

Let us begin.

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your Window 7 64 bit computer? If not, please do that from an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

2. Please verify you source video...from inspection of the properties of your camera, I find

UHD (the 4K group)

4097 x 2160 p24 and p25

and

3840 x 2160 p24, p25, and p30

FHD

1920 x 1080 p24, p25, p48, p50, and p60.

There is no "4K 60 frames" that I can find in the camera's specifications.

The video is listed as AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264) with a .mov file extension. That format should be expected to be supported by Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

3. Let us assume that you started with FHD and 1920 x 1080 at 60 progressive frames per second.

You write

I am just adding video manually and then rendering the entire strip but still having issues.

Does that mean the you are opening Premiere Elements to its Expert workspace, going to File Menu/New/New Project, and setting the project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

before you import your video source into the project, using the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline Video Track 1? The scheme for the user manual setting of the project preset before media import would have been

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.

When the file gets to the Timeline Video Track 1 after all that, is there no colored line or orange line over that Timeline content?

4. Can you do the same thing for the UHD 3840 x 2160 at 30 progressive frames per second?

In that case, the manually set project preset would be

NTSC

AVCHD

QFHD 16x9 29.97

Please review the above in context with your previewing quality and then let us know the outcome.

Any questions or clarification needed for any of the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: When trying to view and edit 4K videos I have created, Adobe Premiere Elements is very sketchy and skips a A LOT! Also video is not clear at all. I have a Intel Core I7 Processor. Am I viewing incorrectly? What can I do to fix? Even did this when I ba
                joshuam67301863 Level 1

Alright. This is making more sense now.

1. Yes I do have the current QuickTime installed and can view 4K videos

2. From what you are showing me as options for the camera that looks correct without getting drone out and turning on. I might have been wrong with 60 frames 4K specifications. I know that there are a large list to choose from. I started recording with 4K but when I started having problems with playback in elements I switched to 1080p 60 fps. however I was still having problems.

I am very new to this editing software so from the get go I was simply using the quick tab and would add media straight from the start up screen. I wasn't aware that I would have to choose a different format if I switched camera specs. I just took it for granted to smoothy playback automatically. I would render the clip but I couldn't notice any change.

After using your steps above I do have a orange line through clip itself, using either 1080 or 4K media format setups, however playback is still not as smooth as using QuickTime or windows media player. Honestly playback clarity goes to windows media player for 1080p.

Do I need to fine tune the media format for a new project and see what works best?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: When trying to view and edit 4K videos I have created, Adobe Premiere Elements is very sketchy and skips a A LOT! Also video is not clear at all. I have a Intel Core I7 Processor. Am I viewing incorrectly? What can I do to fix? Even did this when I ba
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

joshuam

Let us work on the 1080p60 first.

Open the program to the Expert workspace and go to File Menu/New/Project. Then follow these details for setting the project to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                  • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                  • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                  • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

When you drag your 1080p60 to the Expert workspace Video Track 1 Audio Track 1, you should have no colored line over its contents. The project has a color line indicator which indicates whether or not you are seeing the best possible preview. There is an orange line that runs horizontally across the clip (called rubberband). That is not the render line indicator to which I refer. Please see the following screenshot.

Render.JPG

The screenshot which was done with 12/12.1 is representative of 11 and 13/13.1 as well.

Right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and decide which setting gives you better preview - Automatic or Highest.

Also, check the Edit Menu/Preferences/General for the setting for Timeline Rendering Quality...look for High quality, Slow speed.

After we get through the above phase, then we will head to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 108030 where we will customize that preset to given MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p60 export  (customization is done under the Advanced Button of the preset. Comparison of the Edit area preview quality with play back quality of the export will be important moving forward.

Next we will work on the 4K as 3840 x 2160 at 30 progressive frames per second (if that is what you also have).

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: When trying to view and edit 4K videos I have created, Adobe Premiere Elements is very sketchy and skips a A LOT! Also video is not clear at all. I have a Intel Core I7 Processor. Am I viewing incorrectly? What can I do to fix? Even did this when I ba
                    joshuam67301863 Level 1

I tried what you instructed me to do and I am still having problems with playback. I pulled up the properties of the clip and it is 1920x1080 with a 47.95 frame rate. I did not see this as a choice when starting the project. I still am getting a orange line through clip.

Is this going to be like this all the time? I purchased this software because it was supposed to be 4K compatible while also one of the best for beginners and it is giving me nothing but a headache.

• 7. Re: When trying to view and edit 4K videos I have created, Adobe Premiere Elements is very sketchy and skips a A LOT! Also video is not clear at all. I have a Intel Core I7 Processor. Am I viewing incorrectly? What can I do to fix? Even did this when I ba
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

joshuamo

Thanks for the reply.

Your problem is most likely (within 99% certainty) the 47.95 frames per second of the 1920 x 1080 video. There is no project preset for that and no export setting for that frame rate even under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of an export preset.

Suggestions....

1. Record the 1920 x 1080 or 3840 x 2160 with a frame rate of 24p, 30p, or 60p (NTSC setup) or 24p, 25p, or 50p (PAL setup).

Also....

2. Your present frame rate 47.95 may reflect a video recorded with a variable rather than constant frame rate. This is another factor (whether 48 or other frame rate). Premiere Elements does not fare well with video recorded with a variable frame rate. Problems range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. Then you take the video into the free HandBrake to get the H.264.mp4 version with a constant rather than variable frame rate. If you were in a PAL setup, I would suggest you set HandBrake for 50 frames per second (constant) and import your source file into a Premiere Elements 1080p50 project. I can give you suggested export setting for the 1080p50 Timeline next. For the NTSC setup, that is when I would encourage recording at a different frame rate rather setting the HandBrake constant frame rate to 24, 29.97, or 59.94 (60).

Please review and consider and then we can exchange information of this matter.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: When trying to view and edit 4K videos I have created, Adobe Premiere Elements is very sketchy and skips a A LOT! Also video is not clear at all. I have a Intel Core I7 Processor. Am I viewing incorrectly? What can I do to fix? Even did this when I ba
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

joshuam

Add On...I am not seeing this as a Premiere Elements 12/12.1 or 13/13.1 problem with 4K video which relates to resolution of the video. This appears to be a frame rate compatibility issue which we can define in our exchange of information to follow.

If it is as I suspect, you will continue to have this problem with your Premiere Elements projects unless you record your video with the frames rates mentioned in my prior post. But, let us see with further details if what I suspect is correct or incorrect. Can you do a mini recording using the 4K with one the suggested frame rates, such a 30p?

ATR