6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 3:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Recognize Installed DVD Recorders.

Blackthumb

When is Premiere Elements 13 going to be fixed so that it recognizes installed computer DVD drives?  I have 2 drives on my Dell computer running 8.1 64 bit  and the program refuses to recognize either drive for recording.  I am forced to use a 3rd party program (ImgBurn) to make my discs.  I have been told by people on other forums who's advice I respect that Adobe is aware of the problem but is reluctant to address the issue because they import the Disc Burning module from another company.  Doesn't Adobe realize that failure to repair the module just cripples what is otherwise a really great product?   How long are we going to have to put up with this problem? 

• 1. Re: Recognize Installed DVD Recorders.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Blackthumb

As you know, this is not Adobe. Rather user to user. The frequency of the Adobe presence in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum is undefined. You might want to consider

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I am not sure to whom you refer

I have been told by people on other forums who's advice I respect that Adobe is aware of the problem but is reluctant to address the issue because they import the Disc Burning module from another company.

I have no insider information here and would be glad for the opportunity to consider some troubleshooting of your issue with you. The type of questions that I would be asking include

1. Have you updated 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

2. Have you done an uninstall, reinstall according to the following scheme

a. Deactivate the program from within an opened project using Help Menu/Sign Out. Close out of there.

b. Uninstall the program the usual Control Panel way.

c. Do a free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls.

CCleaner - Download

d. Reinstall the program with the antivirus and firewalls disabled.

e. Once assured that 13 is working, download and install 13.1.

3. What type of burners does your computer use - DVD/CD or Blu-ray/DVD/CD? If you disable one, has that affected the burner location field result? Are they both internal burner drives?

4. What video card/graphics card does your computer use - and are you working with the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference disabled or enabled?

Do you have iTunes installed on your computer?

Just in case note...I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway. As a visitor here, my comments are my own, and my focus is troubleshooting Premiere Elements workflows to help other based on first hand observations.

ATR

• 2. Re: Recognize Installed DVD Recorders.
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>import the Disc Burning module from another company.  Doesn't Adobe realize that failure to repair the module just cripples what is otherwise a really great product

While I do know that Encore (bundled with Premiere Pro) will never go past version CS6 due to the 3rd party code you mention, yours is the first comment I've seen concerning Premiere Elements... do you have a source for that comment?

If it is true that Premiere Elements burning module is from another company, that would mean that Adobe may not directly do anything to fix the problem

Do use the wish form link ATR posted so Adobe knows you are having a problem

Added... your problem may also be caused by other software

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a disc... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cd-dvd-drive-recognized-application.html

• 3. Re: Recognize Installed DVD Recorders.
              Blackthumb Level 1
              Hi Mr. Romano,
              I will be glad to answer your questions in line:
              I have no insider information here and would be glad for the opportunity to consider some troubleshooting of your issue with you. The type of questions that I would be asking include
              1. Have you updated 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?   YES
              2. Have you done an uninstall, reinstall according to the following scheme
              a. Deactivate the program from within an opened project using Help Menu/Sign Out. Close out of there.  YES
              b. Uninstall the program the usual Control Panel way.  YES
              c. Do a free ccleaner run through to get rid of leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls.  YES
              d. Reinstall the program with the antivirus and firewalls disabled.   NO, I did not disable either of my Norton programs.
              e. Once assured that 13 is working, download and install 13.1.   YES
              3. What type of burners does your computer use - DVD/CD or Blu-ray/DVD/CD? 
                  DVD/CD - Don’t know make, whatever DELL uses, and I installed a second LG.
                   DVD Drives.jpg
              If you disable one, has that affected the burner location field result?  Not sure what you are talking about.
                    Are they both internal burner drives?
                YES
              4. What video card/graphics card does your computer use -
              DVD-2.jpg
              and are you working with the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference disabled or enabled?
              I have no idea what you are referring to.
              Do you have iTunes installed on your computer?  NO
              Just in case note...I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway. As a visitor here, my comments are my own, and my focus is troubleshooting Premiere Elements workflows to help other based on first hand observations.
              As you can observe, I am not very computer literate.  I am a Senior Citizen trying to learn Premiere Elements 13 to do some video work for the family.
              When I couldn’t get my DVD recorders to work I downloaded ImgBurn from the Internet and it works well but I feel that PrE 13 should also work well.
              BTW:  When I submitted my question I thought that I was sending it to Adobe. 
              Walter
              Sent: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 15:00
              Subject: [Premiere Elements] Recognize Installed DVD Recorders.
              • 4. Re: Recognize Installed DVD Recorders.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Walter

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

As for

and are you working with the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference disabled or enabled?

I have no idea what you are referring to.

walter 1.jpg

See the preference named "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher). Comes as default. It has had impact on the burn to features. I have not seen it implicated in a burner not recognized yet, but worth the exploration. Just remove the check mark next to this preference and note the result after OKing out of preferences, closing opening the program, and reopening the project.

As for

If you disable one, has that affected the burner location field result?  Not sure what you are talking about.
                      Are they both internal burner drives?
                  YES

I was thinking in terms of Device Manager/DVD/CD-ROM Drives/name of your burner/and its Driver tab. Was wondering whether temporary disable under that Driver tab would have any effect on getting the still enabled drive to show up in the Burner Location field.

Do you have access to an external Blu-ray burner to try in the system?

I have worked with several (many) users with the Premiere Elements burner not recognized issue. For several, the uninstall, free ccleaner, reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled was the solution. I regret that you have already tried that and that did not work for you.

I will think about this some more.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: Recognize Installed DVD Recorders.
                  Blackthumb Level 1

Hi Mr. Romano,

Thank you ever so much for your reply.

YOU ARE A GENIUS!

I removed the check mark from the "Use Hardware Acceleration........" and now both of my DVD Recorders are recognized.

Who (except you) would ever have thought to try this.

Thanks again.

Respectfully,

Walter

• 6. Re: Recognize Installed DVD Recorders.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Walter

I am so glad for your success. Many thanks for considering the suggestions.

Your report is very welcomed by all with the burner not recognized and looking for answers.

As I always write, problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. But, your outcome is great to have in the Premiere Elements troubleshooting tool chest, especially for a difficult problem such as burner not recognized.

Best wishes for great projects for you and your family and friends to enjoy.

ATR