17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2015 12:32 PM by trshaner

LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?

MichaelWalker

First of all, thank you so much for the panorama function! It's exactly what I wanted and I've spent my free time to convert most of my panoramas to dng lately.

but...

every 10th or so Panorama which I create will have these strange wrinkles. See below for pictures.

I'm shooting my panoramas with a t&s lens completely leveled. so there should be no issues with distortion, I also don't think that it is created due to vignetting either as there shouldn't be any image borders right in the center of the final image...

Problem is, it doesn't always show up in the preview window and selecting different projections sometimes solves the issue. Some pictures however exhibit the same behavior using any of the 3 projections, forcing me to use Photoshop instead.

I can only provide pictures where I think it is very likely to happen but I cannot reproduce it reliably unfortunately.

Photoshop CC doesn't seem to have these issues.

In the last weeks I have create approximately 1700 panoramas like this and it just makes no sense...no pattern, nothing...

I use a mid2012 mbp

i7 2.6ghz

12gb ram (4gb + 8gb as I had one stick stop working, this might be a cause, gonna see when the new ram stick arrives)

2 x 1tb SSD with ample of free space

the mac is powerful enough for this and creating the panorama preview takes maybe 5-10s?

these wrinkles should not be part of the cityscape

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 22.42.11.png

here the preview which does not show the wrinkles

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 22.40.48.png

The only hint I found is in this image, as the wrinkles line up with the (messed up) alignment of the 3 images

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 23.00.22.jpg

Thank you very much for your help!

I don't mind this kind of error though, more of this, less wrinkles

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 23.08.10.png

• 1. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To be honest, I don't really have a clue where this might come from. I hope Eric can chime in.

What is the source for the panos? RAW, Camera type?

btw: In difference to ACR where LR uses the same engine, LR is not using the same code for the panos as PS.

"Äs Grüässli - ebenfalls aus der Region Luzern ... nice shot!

• 2. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MichaelWalker wrote:

I'm shooting my panoramas with a t&s lens completely leveled. so there should be no issues with distortion, I also don't think that it is created due to vignetting either as there shouldn't be any image borders right in the center of the final image...

What lens and camera model are you using? Under Lens Corrections> Profile what profile and settings are selected in each of the three original unstitched files and the panorama DNG file? LR's Photomerge may use use the lens profile data differently than in PS. With a T&S lens when it is shifted right or left the distortion and vignetting values are different than the lens profile values (i.e. unshifted). This may cause blending and/or stitching errors to appear with certain subjects.

In the posted example the stitching error appears in the middle of the image, which is strange as you mentioned. Can you post individual screenshots of the three images used to create this panorama? Better yet upload them to Dropbox or other file sharing site.

• 3. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you upload your raw images to dropbox.com and post a public share link, here?

• 4. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
                MichaelWalker Level 1

Danke dier!

It's Nikon D800 NEF, merged directly via panorama merge function in Lightroom CC

Grüässli zrug

• 5. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
                  MichaelWalker Level 1

Sure, will do so tomorrow, thank you for the help!

• 6. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
                    MichaelWalker Level 1

I'm using the 24mm T&S Nikon, unfortunately there are no profiles for this lens, or I can't find it. I usually stitch them out-of camera, so no settings at all, it's gonna give me a dng anyway.

Yes, I read once that the T&S lenses are being auto corrected and I have seen many examples of this, especially when taking pictures in a close angle to the sun it can be bad.

I noticed that this image I used actually does have stitches right in the center. depending on the scene it's possible to make a full stitch with 3-5% overlap only. I also noticed that Photoshop sometimes barely uses the center image, which could be something.

I'll dig through the raw files and look for the exposure value correction errors as well as the "close stitches" and then upload the raw files

thank you all for your help!

Michael

• 7. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?

MichaelWalker wrote:

I noticed that this image I used actually does have stitches right in the center. depending on the scene it's possible to make a full stitch with 3-5% overlap only. I also noticed that Photoshop sometimes barely uses the center image, which could be something.

Are you sure you used three images (Shift L + No Shift + Shift Right), or just the two (Shift L + Shift Right). There is sufficient overlap with just two R&L shift images to create a good panorama. This would show stitching errors in the center of the image as you posted. Once you've posted the raw image files to Dropbox for the example with center seam it may help reveal the cause.

Here's an example LR Merge to Panorama using a Canon 24mm TS-E shift lens using just the two R&L full shift image files. No issues, but I do get an error message since there is no profile for this lens either.

Merge to Panorama.jpg

• 8. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
                        MichaelWalker Level 1

Hi trshaner,

Yes, I mostly use 3 shots.

I sometimes shift into the vignetting on either side for 3:1 / 4:1 crops and shooting at night can result in inconveniently placed overlapping areas due to little details in the shadows.

When you shoot 30 seconds on a windy dawn/dusk, the tree covered hill suddenly has less detail than you thought it would have, same goes with water surfaces or clouds/sky.

Also, when you shift left + right and then stitch, you use 2 images which were both taken on the edges of the lenses circle of confusion. This has 2 issues:

• shooting open apertures can give you vignetting where the center of the final stitch will be
                        • and the 3rd picture "center" usually has (tiny slightly) better detail, sharpness and color rendition. Colors can be an issue with filters (6 or 10ND + Pol), stacking makes it even worse and taking long exposures scale most issues and adds loss of contrast on top of it.

Sometimes at least.

Taking an additional picture only takes 1-30seconds for me and can save me a maybe a few minutes of post production if the rare event occurs of having an issue with using only 2 images. Being able to stitch RAW files has alleviated some of those issues though, thank you again Adobe!

Anyhow, this wasn't the issue as it turned out

Hello Everybody

My apologies for being late but I had troubles reproducing those images and uploading the files.

I just had an idea a few minutes before and it turned out to solve the mystery!

I finished the "good" panoramas yesterday and went on to fix the "wrinkled ones"... Everything worked fine and it's so much nicer to work at night too! (...)

The files don't matter

The stitching doesn't matter

It's the bloody heat!

To test my assumption, I had Photoshop stitch a 30 shot panorama, opened some 2k videos, had Lightroom create 1:1 Previews for 200k images and then tried the Panorama stitching again.

et voilà, here came the wrinkles. And they get bigger the more my macbook crunches data!

In short, well, it's overheating and/or too much workload. We have experienced some record heat over the past 2 weeks where I live, even leading to my external RAID array shutting down to prevent overheating.

• I don't get any errors when just stitching one panorama at a time with only Lightroom open, except when it's almost 40°C outside of course!
                        • BUT it also happens under heavy workload, let's say having 3-4 panoramas being merged while Lightroom is creating the preview.
                        • Getting the files from a place which is also close to overheating (the RAID) makes it worse, meaning I got slightly less when the files came from the internal SSD

I think it is mostly the workload though, as my CPU and GPU stayed at around 80°C half an hour ago (laptop is outside the window to use some of the cold air)

Here are some files you could use to recreate this

Dropbox - adobe LR forums

Yes. The pictures are full of sensordust.

Even though I know now what I can do (work at night until I find a good external cooling solution), there is still the question of what exactly those things/wrinkles are? If there is a technical explanation, I'd love to hear it. And of course any suggestions as to external cooling systems for a 15" 2012 mbpro. I have cleaned the fans about a week ago and never put the laptop flat on a table.

Thank you again, have a nice and cool week!

best,

Michael

• 9. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?

MichaelWalker wrote:

I think it is mostly the workload though, as my CPU and GPU stayed at around 80°C half an hour ago (laptop is outside the window to use some of the cold air)

Sorry for the late reply. My results are similar to yours using the downloaded NEFs and my CPU and GPU temperatures never exceeded 60° C. Stitching errors occur using LR Photo Merge to Panorama 'Auto Select Projection.' Manually selecting the projection produced seam free panoramas. I had to click on Perspective and then back on Cylindrical for the panorama preview image to appear "seam free." This is probably due to control point errors in the even-toned sky and water areas, motion in the water and lack of a lens profile for geometric distortion and vignetting correction. By clicking back-and-forth (Cylindrical, Perspective, Cylindrical) you force the control points to be recalculated and it eventually gets it right. The results appear unrelated to system over-heating issues.

What specific model Nikon 24mm shift lens lens are you using? Someone has posted lens profiles for the Nikon 24mm F3.5 PC lens, which may help. They are for F11 aperture only, but should work fine. There are six lens profiles presumably for different shift settings. When all six lens profiles are loaded you will see one entry in the Lens Profile 'Model' drop-down selector for 24.0 mm f/3.5, but under the 'Profile' drop-down selector all six will appear.

Auto Select Projection                                 Manually Select Projection (back and forth)

Panorama Results - Auto vs Manual Projection.jpg

• 10. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
                            MichaelWalker Level 1

I have the PC-E version, would the profile still work? 24mm 1:3.5 ED PC-E.

Auto select seems to be more prone to these errors. I was getting the same errors regardless of auto/manual selection unfortunately. I noticed that switching back and forth sometimes solved the issue, thank you for explaining me why, I'll do that more often when issues come up.

What specs does your computer have? 60°C doesn't give me a headache either, I measured the temperatures of my mac and at around 68-70°C I'm seeing increased rate of errors. I'm also starting to see those wrinkles appear in images which didn't show any before and if I let the mac down, the problems are gone.

Good to know it's at least nothing concerning only my computer

• 11. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?

MichaelWalker wrote:

I have the PC-E version, would the profile still work? 24mm 1:3.5 ED PC-E.

That's probably the same lens used for creating the lens profiles. I can't make much sense out of the lens profile naming that the contributor Giuseppe Andretta used.  In Italian dx = right side and sx = left side, but I'm not sure what Port, Land, and Jumbo mean.

There's also an issue in LR using these lens profiles since it appears LR's Photo Merge> Panorama only uses the settings of the most selected image. That means the same lens profile is applied to all of the merged image files and not separate profiles. They will work with Edit In > Merge to Panorama in PS since the raw files are first converted using their individual Develop settings to Tiffs and then merged.

MichaelWalker wrote:

Auto select seems to be more prone to these errors. I was getting the same errors regardless of auto/manual selection unfortunately. I noticed that switching back and forth sometimes solved the issue, thank you for explaining me why, I'll do that more often when issues come up.

What might also help is to pan the camera rather than shift the lens to create the three (or more) image files for stitching. This will allow you to use one lens profile for all of the images and get proper correction. With distance subjects such as in your landscapes there should be no need to use an offset pan head to to correct the nodal point.

MichaelWalker wrote:

What specs does your computer have? 60°C doesn't give me a headache either, I measured the temperatures of my mac and at around 68-70°C I'm seeing increased rate of errors. I'm also starting to see those wrinkles appear in images which didn't show any before and if I let the mac down, the problems are gone.

I'm using an HP desktop with an i7-860 quad core processor. To be honest I don't think the CPU temperature has anything to do with this issue. Most Intel processors used in both Macs and PCs can run safely up to 80° C or higher. At higher CPU temperatures the Turbo mode clock is throttled back to normal speed, which will make the panorama build a little slower. Also simply restarting Lightroom may provide different results concerning accurate control point generation (i.e. Monte Carlo). It doesn't take much to cause stitching errors. Hugin allows you to add, remove, and correct control points to fix stitching errors.

• 12. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
                                MichaelWalker Level 1

trshaner wrote:

That's probably the same lens used for creating the lens profiles. I can't make much sense out of the lens profile naming that the contributor Giuseppe Andretta used.  In Italian dx = right side and sx = left side, but I'm not sure what Port, Land, and Jumbo mean.

There's also an issue in LR using these lens profiles since it appears LR's Photo Merge> Panorama only uses the settings of the most selected image. That means the same lens profile is applied to all of the merged image files and not separate profiles. They will work with Edit In > Merge to Panorama in PS since the raw files are first converted using their individual Develop settings to Tiffs and then merged.

I should have looked it up, of course the 24mm PC and PC-E are the same thing, I mistook the Nikon 28mm PC for a 24mm...

If I understand you right, I would not be able to select all left-shifted images and then batch apply the lens profile because when stitching it will only use one setting? I'm not sure what you mean with "most selected image". As in, quite literally, the image I clicked on the most? Or the images which is being previewed while selecting 3 images?

This would defeat the entire purpose of using the profile unfortunately, for my purpose at least. TIFF would double the files' size.

This might explain the Jumbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEsNT-f9lNY

Port probably means lens-port or "camera used"

I wrote him an email about this, linking this thread.

trshaner wrote:

What might also help is to pan the camera rather than shift the lens to create the three (or more) image files for stitching. This will allow you to use one lens profile for all of the images and get proper correction. With distance subjects such as in your landscapes there should be no need to use an offset pan head to to correct the nodal point.

I'm using an HP desktop with an i7-860 quad core processor. To be honest I don't think the CPU temperature has anything to do with this issue. Most Intel processors used in both Macs and PCs can run safely up to 80° C or higher. At higher CPU temperatures the Turbo mode clock is throttled back to normal speed, which will make the panorama build a little slower. Also simply restarting Lightroom may provide different results concerning accurate control point generation (i.e. Monte Carlo). It doesn't take much to cause stitching errors. Hugin allows you to add, remove, and correct control points to fix stitching errors.

I use panning the camera for larger stitches which are not long exposure but then I'm not using the T&S but something longer, usually 50mm or 85mm. I'll check out the lens profile, shouldn't be too hard to select all the left/right-shifted images and batch apply the profile. So far I stitched the dng panorama first, then apply presets according to the time of day, filter and exposure length. It works..ok I guess

The images I uploaded may be a bit misleading, here is something I do more often. Set up the trip in the water and go really close. Panning (tilting technically) would result in really bad distortions as well as a wet lens & camera. Haven't exported a new jpg yet, should explain my reliance on t&s though. The Images I posted having issues with, simply happened to be "easy" stitches.

20140223008.jpg

or having something in the foreground

2014 Panoramas 86.jpg

Monte Carlo was an interesting read, I lack the mathematical background to fully comprehend it but if I had to paraphrase I'd say "Try most of every combination until the approximation in the end is XY% likely to be the closest possible solution." Similar to brute-force decryption of files.

• Is the reason why these "wrinkles" can occur - even though they didn't occur another time with the exact same files - because the process uses random samples every time? Being able to set control points manually, tells the process where the calculated approximation should lead to in the end? Or do control points reduce the amount of data from which samples are taken, resulting in faster but not necessarily more accurate stitches. Or a combination of both?

• I had also noticed that the end result can look different if the input files have been cropped. Since the entire data from which samples are being taken has changed, the result varies (?).

• Every time I quit Lightroom the random seed (not sure if this is the correct term) changes as well? Meaning, if I quit LR and then redo a stitching, I will get different results because the seed changed? And if I switch projections, I can get different results because the control points are being reset? Because you said, restarting LR as well as switching projections would reset the control points.

• Which would mean, that if I get bad results despite switching projections, I could always restart LR for a fresh seed in addition to switching projections?

Regarding temperatures, I'll do some more testing on the weekend. I had the CPU history open while testing and 4 cores were maxed with the hyperthreaded 4 cores being at 30-50%. RAM allocation seemed fine and the overall cpu usage was 400-500%. The fans go cray at 6200rpm which at least means that maximum cooling is required.

Really the only thing I noticed which changed and caused (?) errors reliably, was the heat.

I don't know how to monitor the CPU clockspeed, the only thing I can see is CPU usage and whether or not hyperthreading is used. Do you know of any tool for mac which can display clockspeed? For measuring the temperature I use "Temperature Monitor" for mac.

Thank you for the links! I've used Pgtui but stopped as they don't support dng output. If hugin gives me more control while making dng stitches, it's a no brainer.

However when browsing the Hugin link you provided I found this in their FAQ

Common problems when creating a panorama

I get thin horizontal black or white lines in large panoramas

This is a known bug in the memory handling of enblend that manifests with large panoramas.

You can workaround it by reducing the size of the panorama, or by adjusting the cache size in Hugin_Stitcher_tab

-> Blender options

. e.g. the default is 1024MB (1 GB), so if you have 4GB RAM you can try raising the cache to use most of your free memory, such as 3000MB, i.e: -m 3000

And I do have different RAM modules working currently, I'll also remove the 4gb stick and test it with 1x8gb and then 2x4gb RAM

Thank you again for all the information and help!

best,

Michael

What is the code to manually add quotes? [quote][/quote] doesn't work

• 13. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?

MichaelWalker wrote:

If I understand you right, I would not be able to select all left-shifted images and then batch apply the lens profile because when stitching it will only use one setting?

Yes. it appears LR's Photo Merge> Panorama only uses the single lens profile of the most selected image, which is the one that is slightly brighter. I tested this by assigning a 16mm FE lens profile to the Left image only. The resulting panorama is symmetrical indicating the FE lens profile is being applied to all three images.

LR Merge Panorama Left Assigned 16mm FE Profile.jpg

With Edit In > Merge to Panorama in PS the proper assigned lens profile is applied to each of the rendered TIFFs, which are then merged inside PS.

MichaelWalker wrote:

This might explain the Jumbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEsNT-f9lNY

Port probably means lens-port or "camera used"

I wrote him an email about this, linking this thread.

Hopefully he can provide some guidance on the lens settings (Shift & Tilt) used to create the six profiles. The results aren't bad when using LR's Photo Merge> Panorama without a lens profile when the stitching is correct. I'm not sure if applying the lens profiles will improve the image other than stitching success and you'll need to use PS's Photomerge. Perhaps Giuseppe can provide some suggestions on how he's using the lens profiles.

MichaelWalker wrote:

Monte Carlo was an interesting read, I lack the mathematical background to fully comprehend it but if I had to paraphrase I'd say "Try most of every combination until the approximation in the end is XY% likely to be the closest possible solution." Similar to brute-force decryption of files.

• Is the reason why these "wrinkles" can occur - even though they didn't occur another time with the exact same files - because the process uses random samples every time? Being able to set control points manually, tells the process where the calculated approximation should lead to in the end? Or do control points reduce the amount of data from which samples are taken, resulting in faster but not necessarily more accurate stitches. Or a combination of both?

TRS- The Control Point Generation Process looks for "data matches" between the two adjacent images. It's a complex process that probably uses a "random sampling" algorithm to help spread control points across the image, rather than "clumped" in an area with lots of detail. There are a finite number of control points generated so it's important that they are spread across the length of the seam sufficiently to prevent alignment errors.

• I had also noticed that the end result can look different if the input files have been cropped. Since the entire data from which samples are being taken has changed, the result varies (?).

TRS- LR Photo Merge> Panorama does not apply the Develop module Crop setting to the raw image files. If they look different it's due to stitching or vignetting correction errors. Again, this is due to the Monte Carlo effect as discussed above.

• Every time I quit Lightroom the random seed (not sure if this is the correct term) changes as well? Meaning, if I quit LR and then redo a stitching, I will get different results because the seed changed? And if I switch projections, I can get different results because the control points are being reset? Because you said, restarting LR as well as switching projections would reset the control points.

TRS- When you create a panorama in LR it remembers and uses your last settings for the next panorama. When you restart LR all settings are returned to their defaults. So you may get different results when creating the same panorama again. Also, restarting LR should free up memory that may be still allocated to previous processes. If you have sufficient memory (16GB+) then this shouldn't be a problem. 8GB memory is the minimum I would recommend for LR, but after creating numerous panoramas inside LR even 8GB may not be sufficient due to LR not releasing unused memory (memory leak). I'm sure you can check memory usage on a Mac same as in Windows. This may in fact be a cause of what you suspect is an "over-heating" CPU. After many operations in LR the processor gets hotter, but the memory allocation also gets higher. With insufficient memory the LR panorama application is forced to run in a smaller memory space, which may produce the stitching errors you are seeing.

• Which would mean, that if I get bad results despite switching projections, I could always restart LR for a fresh seed in addition to switching projections?

TRS- Yes, for the very same reason I just outlined above (insufficient free memory space). By restarting LR (or better yet the whole system) and closing all other open applications LR will have more free memory space available.

Regarding temperatures, I'll do some more testing on the weekend. I had the CPU history open while testing and 4 cores were maxed with the hyperthreaded 4 cores being at 30-50%. RAM allocation seemed fine and the overall cpu usage was 400-500%. The fans go cray at 6200rpm which at least means that maximum cooling is required.

Really the only thing I noticed which changed and caused (?) errors reliably, was the heat.

TRS- This doesn't sound good. I'd check your MacBook for dust, cooling fan issues, blocked vents, or simply the way you have it positoned that may cause it to over-heat.

I don't know how to monitor the CPU clockspeed, the only thing I can see is CPU usage and whether or not hyperthreading is used. Do you know of any tool for mac which can display clockspeed? For measuring the temperature I use "Temperature Monitor" for mac.

TRS- I wouldn't worry about this for now. Focus on fixing the over-heating issue. Once that is fixed Turbo mode will work properly.

Thank you for the links! I've used Pgtui but stopped as they don't support dng output. If hugin gives me more control while making dng stitches, it's a no brainer.

However when browsing the Hugin link you provided I found this in their FAQ

Common problems when creating a panorama

I get thin horizontal black or white lines in large panoramas

This is a known bug in the memory handling of enblend that manifests with large panoramas.

You can workaround it by reducing the size of the panorama, or by adjusting the cache size in Hugin_Stitcher_tab

-> Blender options

. e.g. the default is 1024MB (1 GB), so if you have 4GB RAM you can try raising the cache to use most of your free memory, such as 3000MB, i.e: -m 3000

And I do have different RAM modules working currently, I'll also remove the 4gb stick and test it with 1x8gb and then 2x4gb RAM

TRS- Your MacBook Pro mid 2012 has two-banks with one memory slot each. You can mix and match modules by design. But it will affect system performance since only the first 8GB benefits from dual-channel memory. It's always best to install same size, type, and brand memory modules.

Computer memory and SSD upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro Systems MacBook Pro (13-inch and 15-inch, Mid 2012) from Crucial

Thank you again for all the information and help!

best,

Michael

What is the code to manually add quotes? [quote][/quote] doesn't work

• 14. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
                                    MichaelWalker Level 1

Haven't gotten to the testing yet but I've gotten an answer from Giuseppe, thank you very much for answering Giuseppe! Let's just say, as photographers we could have thought about landscape/portrait

Hi Michael, sorry for being so late but I was on holyday.

The misunderstanding is due to the fact that ‘Jumbo’ is a kind of italian accessory that is used to shift the camera instead of the lens. If you’re curious this is the link (only in italian)

https://www.nikonschool.it/experience/jumbo-mbs.php <https://www.nikonschool.it/experience/jumbo-mbs.php>

So Jumbo means that I used that tool and NOT the natural movement of the lens

DX and SX mean right/left

Port and Land mean Portrait and Landscape (horizontal shoot and vertical shoot)

Hope it will help you.

Ciao

Giuseppe

//Edit

here is a link to the Jumbo, it is the tool I found in the video and I'm going to buy one as soon as I have the cash. Or something similar, seems like a no-brainer to buy for me, finally absolutely100% symmetrical images.

Agnos Jumbo

Agno's

• 15. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?

If I understand correctly JUMBO is a tripod mount adapter that allows rotating the lens around it's nodal point to prevent alignment errors. So the JUMBO lens profile is with the lens shift set to 0 (No Shift)? It's still not clear to me why there are four lens profiles labelled 'Jumbo.' If Land and Port means the camera is rotated to Landscape and Portrait orientation that would not require creating separate lens profiles. The lens behaves exactly the same when rotated concerning distortion and vignetting.

When I tried Giuseppe's lens profiles the vignetting correction only partially corrected or over-corrected the images, depending on profile selected. So perhaps more information is needed. He used F10 and you F11 so that's pretty close to the same aperture concerning vignetting.

• 16. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?
                                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The three profiles in each orientation are not because this is a nodal-point rotation accessory.  In this picture from the Italian site, it is clear that the camera is SHIFTED left and right compared to the lens, so the lens may be held in the same place to avoid alignment errors, the camera sensor is seeing more of the left and right of the lens image circle so we need more data for the larger image circle we're seeing at the left and right, and the center for the geometric distortion corrections is also shifted.

As such, you'd need a different lens profile for the left, center, and right images, and this is not compatible with how lens profiles are used in LR's pano stitching, which uses one for all images, and is only compatible with rotation, not shifting.

The Land-Left/Center/Right profiles are for use when the camera is shifted as seen in the picture.

The Port-Left/Right profiles could also be also be called Land-Up/Down.

The only thing I'm not sure about is why there are two P0 profiles, one for portrait and one for landscape, because if there is no shifting occurring then the profiles would be identical. Maybe only for completeness for those who don't quite understand what they're doing and are just wanting to think about using "the three portrait" or "the three landscape" profiles.

• 17. Re: LR CC Panorama Merge: What are these strange lines/wrinkles I'm getting?

Thanks Steve. When I originally looked at the Jumbo tripod mount I noticed that it attaches to the lens and the body moves, but forgot when replying today.

Technically there are nine settings that could be used to create a panorama. It's still not clear to me how the lens profiles Giuseppe created correspond to the below lens settings. The extreme shift settings will have very high vignetting in those specific corners of the image. This requires nine (9) lens profiles.

Nikon 24mm f/3.5D PC-E Nikkor Lens Vignetting

ssprengel wrote:

As such, you'd need a different lens profile for the left, center, and right images, and this is not compatible with how lens profiles are used in LR's pano stitching, which uses one for all images, and is only compatible with rotation, not shifting.

They could be used with 'Merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop' since the rendered TIFFs will have the correct individual lens profile applied.