4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 7:30 AM by Rick Gerard

American Horror story TV series?

conradl96545509

Hi all does anyone know the effects used in the opening sequence of American Horror story TV series?

American Horror Story: Opening Credits of all 3 seasons (HD) - YouTube

• 1. Re: American Horror story TV series?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That's way too broad and generic. Nobody is going to write a multi-page magazine article here and explain every texchnique used in any one of the opening titles. Effects can only be explained one at a time based on concrete reference. and obviously a lot of it is simply cleaver editing of the real footage with some color grading thrown in...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: American Horror story TV series?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I see light leaks, color grading, overlays of stock footage, moving layers. What Mylenium said. There are dozens of effects combined to create the open, none of them are particularly difficult, none of them are a click here and enjoy the magic effect. Download the video, put it in your timeline, pick a single effect and try and figure out what components are in the shot and then go from there. This kind of reverse engineering is critical to learning how to do compositing and motion graphics. Here's a hint, most of the time a composite is more than one layer.

• 3. Re: American Horror story TV series?
              conradl96545509 Level 1

Thanks Mylenium you are probably right it was a lot to ask but I appreciate the time taken to reply. I wonder do you think the effects were achieved without plugins?

Rick thanks for the info, they seem very complex, but I suppose that's because I am still learning. You are right I need to break them down one by one and understand each.

• 4. Re: American Horror story TV series?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just about any effect you have ever seen in any movie or commercial can be composited inside AE. You may need to do some things in a 3D program to integrate some CGI elements like robots or monsters, but AE can composite anything. Everything that I see in that sample is just layered 2D layers with blend modes and effects. That's it.