20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 8:58 AM by theopow_adobe

Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.

theopow_adobe

Do you have any suggestions as to how to proceed or what to check?  Using Premier Elements 12.   I have defragmented the hard drives and  made sure that the scratch disks had plenty of space.

• 2. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

theopow_adobe

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do that.

Please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and determine where the Disk Encoding is point and how much free space is there...would it be 800 GB?

With the project closed, go to the corresponding Encoded Files Folder presumed in the Adobe Folder and delete whatever you find there. Then open the project and try the burn to folder again. Before you hit Burn, what does the burn dialog quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate?

Where do you have the Scratch Disks pointed....Local  Disk C or some place else?

I will assume that you have QuickTime latest version installed and that you are running the programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. Please also look at the Run As Administrator as well by right clicking the desktop icon for the program.

Are you having any problems with any of the other project's exports, such as, export to file saved to the computer hard drive?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
            theopow_adobe Level 1

Thank you ATR.  The following is the response to your recommendations.

I did not have Adobe Premiere Elements 12.1. I downloaded it and so am

using the 12.1 release now.

On the C drive I have available space 861 GB.  For the project I point to

the project location on the G drive which provides 800 GB of space.  By the

way I am running Windows 7.

I tried to burn directly to a disk.  After 3%encoding I get a message

"Adobe Premiere Elements 12 has stopped working.  A problem caused the

program to stop working  correctly.  Windows will close the program and

notify you if a solution is available."  This is an improvement.  Before

the computer would crash and be required to shut down and restart. I am

running the Premiere as administrator.  On the burn menu:  Space Required

2.72 GB (Bitrate 8.00 Mbps)

You mentioned that you're assuming that I have QuickTime installed and

running.  I do not have QuickTime.  Is this required?  What does it

provide?  Could this be the reason for my problem?

I do not have any problem with other software writing/reading my hard

drives.  I use Photoshop Elements 12.0 and now 12.1 with the data on hard

drive G.  (I have separated all my data to a separate drive.)

Is my next step to install Quick Time?  Are there other things I should try.

Thank you,

Theo Powell

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 10:48 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Theo Powell

Thanks for the follow up with excellent details.

Definitely a must do - install the latest version of QuickTime

https://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

This link is used for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit even though it is a 32 bit application which will run in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system. As far as I have even found, there is no QuickTime 64 bit. QuickTime install is part of the System Requirements for Premiere Elements.

It provides codecs for Premiere Elements and without it you will not have QuickTime presets when you go to export to .mov in Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTimeline among other things.

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

Run both QuickTime and Premiere Elements as administrator.

This is a key factor to success. It needs to be done one way or another.

We will be watching for your results, and then decide what next, if necessary, based on the details of your reply.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                theopow_adobe Level 1

Thank you ATR,

I downloaded QuickTime and attempted to burn a DVD.  It again crashed

after about 3% encoding.  I ran QuickTime and at the same time Premiere and

again crashed when I tried to render the video.; I learned that the two are

not to be running at the same time to avoid resource conflicts.  I

attempted to burn to a DVD folder and again crashed during the encoding.

After opening the QuickTime and then turning it off, I tried to burn a

DVD again.  The encoding was successful but I then had problems burning the

DVD.

On some occasions  I get a message:  Update Display driver.  Details

Microsoft Corporation GDI Generic 1.1.0  .  I did update two important

drivers but not sure which driver the message is referring.  I would think

that it is not critical to burning a DVD.

I got the error message trying to burn the DVD.  Internal software error:

..\Vobulator\Block\Planner\BlockPlanner  opp.line 215

Please give me more guidance.  I believe that I have made progress, buqt

have not completely succeeded.

With thanks,

Theo Powell

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 9:48 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 6. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

theopow_adobe

You said the key word "Vobulator".

It is within 99% certainty that you have a stop marker at the end of the last item in the Timeline. That stop marker in that position is not necessary and is the cause of burn to failures.

Also, I was not clear on your QuickTime observations. You do not want or need to have QuickTime opened when you are using Premiere Elements. You just have to have the latest version of it installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements.

Also, review your Timeline marker placements (distance between Timeline markers) as well as the button spacing in main menu page and scene selection pages in the Movie Menu customization area (no buttons with red frames).

Please consider, and then let us know the results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                    theopow_adobe Level 1

ATR

I removed the stop marker at the end of the project.  I also moved another

stop marker a few frames earlier that where I had a menu marker.  I tried

to burn a disk which failed and caused the computer to crash about 6%.  I

deleted all encoded files and tried again.  Again it crashed.

Before I got further when I ran QuickTime and then shut it down.  So I

tried it again.  I got a message both times that asked if resources

assigned to another program.  In both cases before and now I clicked yes.

This time the encoding has reached 11% and it is hung.

I am now of the opinion that the encoded file has plenty of memory but

that the premiere is trying to get a resource and is going to an illegal

address.

I will stop premiere and try one more time.  Do you have some further

recommendations?

Thanks,

Theo Powell

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 8:57 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 9. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                      theopow_adobe Level 1

I tried to burn a disk again and 55% of the project was encoded before it

crashed.  Should QuickTime be on the computer before Premiere is loaded?

Theo Powell

• 10. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

theopow_adobe

Thanks for the updates.

I need clarification.

You wrote

Before I got further when I ran QuickTime and then shut it down.

What were you doing with QuickTime and why at this point?

You wrote

I got a message both times that asked if resources assigned to another program.

What was the exact wording of those messages? What other programs were mentioned?

Was it asking for MPEG2 Activation or something else.

Please remind me, after the stop marker removals, have you done a successful burn to folder, if not burn to disc?

ATR

• 11. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                          theopow_adobe Level 1

ATR,

The exact wording of the message was:

Some of the file types associated with Quick Time applications are

currently associated with other applications.  Should I restore these file

type associations to Quick Time?

Yes ____    No

• 12. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                            theopow_adobe Level 1

I just tried to write to DVD folder since I had not tried to do so in quite

a while.  I crashed the computer and about 33% encoding.

Theo Powell

• 13. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Theo Powell

Referring to your post 11...

The message that you are describing is what you get when you open in QuickTime Player a .mov file saved to the computer hard drive.

When I open a .mov file to play back in the QuickTime Player, I am in the habit of giving a No to the question.

QuickTimePlayer.JPG

This has nothing to do with Premiere Elements burn to disc or folder. The only Premiere Elements requirement is that QuickTIme (latest version) is installed on the same computer as Premiere Elements and you are running the computer as administrator. When you are busy doing the burn to disc or folder from Premiere Elements, QuickTime player is closed. So, I am thinking that we may not be in sync on the Premiere Elements - QuickTime details. Please explain.

Right now, I think that our best troubleshooting to get you a burn to disc is going to be burn to folder since we can cut out a lot of variables going this route. Once this route is working, then we can go back and get burn to disc working.

1. Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Expert workspace.

In the Edit area, you have you Timeline content and have placed scene markers along the duration of the content.

At this point, make a copy of your project using  File Menu/Save A Copy and give the copy a new name. Now work from the copy.

2. In the copy, remove all the Timeline markers (main menu markers, scene markers, stop markers). Go to Tools Menu/Movie Menu and open to the Movie Menu theme that you have been using. Hit the Reset button at the top right of the Movie Menu customization area. When you do, the Movie Menu theme with be removed from the project. We now have what is described as AutoPlay. Close out of the Movie Menu area by clicking Done.

3. Go to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD and burn to Folder (4.5 GB) and set the burn preset to NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD (if that is what you are using).

Put a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space". Hit the Burn button and follow the progress in the burn area's progress bar.

Encoding menus.... (not there since we removed menus)

Encoding media

Compiling media

Burning

Does that process go to completion successfully. If not, where does it stop in one of the given categories.

While all this is going on, QuickTime Player is closed. There should be no need to open it.

Please review and consider these individualized steps, and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                                theopow_adobe Level 1

ATR

I followed your instructions.  During the encoding media it got to aboiut

92% completed before it crased.  I watch the process since it is the only

way that I can tell how far it gets when it crashes. When it gets this far,

I obviously hope that it will complete the burn to folder.  But I am

disappointed when it fails.

I am grasping at straws trying to guess the cause.  I have the working area

on a separate drive with a fairly long address.  I don't think that this

should be a problem.  Is my assumption correct?

What is the next step???

Thank you for your help!!!

Theo Powell

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 9:15 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 15. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Theo Powell

Thanks for the update.

Please explain what you mean by

I have the working area

on a separate drive with a fairly long address.  I don't think that this

should be a problem.

Unless your answer to the above modifies the plan, the following is the plan for now....

When you say 92% in the process, do you mean that you see Burning to phase in the burn progress bar and that you have gotten through the Encoding Media and Compiling Media phases non stop until you get to Burning 92%, 8% from the end?

a. recap...the version of the project that you have put through this burn to, does not have Timeline markers or Movie Menu. Is that correct?

If all of that is the case, then we can assume that the problem is not

a. Timeline menu markers or Movie Menu menus

or

b. Computer burner or any disc

We are going to target computer and the Timeline content of this project...here we are still working with a copy of the project that does not contain Timeline markers or Movie Menus....

Start with the project closed...

1. Go to Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/Adobe/12.0. In the 12.0 Folder find the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder and Media Cache Folder. Delete the contents of each of those folders. Go to the Encoded Files Folder in the 12.0 Folder, and delete all in the Encoded Files Folder.

2. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database area. Hit the Clean button.

open the project....

3. Expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline. Look for anything that looks irregular - unexplained gaps, misplaced transitions or titles. Press the End key of the computer keyboard and determine if the Timeline Indicator stops at the end of the last item on the Timeline.

then move to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD and do the burn to folder (4.7 GB). Before you hit the Burn button to start the burn to folder, set the Save In of the burn dialog  to Libraries/Videos. Does that work?

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                                    theopow_adobe Level 1

ATM,

Your understanding of what I meant by 92% encoding is correct.  The bar

showing the encoding progress indicated that it had reached 92%.

I did delete all the menu ,markers; however, I was surprised to see the

markers still included but the numbers had been deleted.  The menu had was

not included.

When I went to  Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/Adobe/12.0 I did see the

Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder but not the Media Cache

Folder.  I removed any files.

At this point I believe that I saw my problem which was that I did not have

a shortcut link from the users/tjp to my videos library.  I added a

shortcut and tried to bun to DVD folder; however I still was not

successful.  I noted that I had more link shortcut problems running as

administrator than how I usually run premiere.  I still have more work to

do to get the shortcut links working. I believe the problem is  not size of

te video dependent.  I plan to create a shorter video which I can work with

the get the links correct.

Any further suggestions that you might have>

Thank you,

Theo Powell

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 1:51 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 17. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Theo Powell

Thanks for the update.

When you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the category for Video Previews, what is the path to it that is given?

Is it Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 or some place else?

What are these shortcut links to which you refer? Please explain. I think I need to know what they are so I can consider how they might be affecting your burn to results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                                        theopow_adobe Level 1

ATR

The path which I have for  Video Previews is:

C:\user/tjp/My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0

when I am not running as administrator

and

C:\user/Theo Powell/My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0

The shortcuts that I have in place at:

C:\user/tjp/My Documents/MyVideos

or

MyDocuments

or

MyPictures

The MyVideos short cut pointed to

G:\Videos

Under administrator I did not have the shortcuts.  As a result, they did

not have paths to any valid data and point to empty folders.

Before I started working with you I had the paths

G:\videos/RuthiesStudio/2015SpringRecitalSource

which pointed to the folder which I was working.

Thank you again,

Theo Powell

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:45 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 19. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Theo Powell

Thanks for the details.

At the present time, do you have any missing media displays in the Timeline track content or workspace that make up this particular project that you are trying to burn to disc DVD? From what you have written, you are not having problems with other projects and burn to - just problems with this 1/2 of a project that you are  trying to get finished as a 2 part presentation.

From my point of view, if you are able to create shortcuts to given locations, that should not be a factor here. The major concern is that the originals that went into the project are in the location where they were when they were first imported into the project.

If you have not already and are still at the 92% completion mark for that burn to, please double check

a. Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks - all categories directed to Same As Project and the Project directed to

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0

b. No missing media thumbnails in Project Assets or Timeline in the project being used for the 92% completion project.

Thanks,

ATR

• 20. Re: Window machine crashes even trying to burn DVD folder.  Scratch area is 800 gbites.  It appears that DVDfolder not written to during encoding.
                                            theopow_adobe Level 1

ATR

An update on attempts that I have tried.

I created a short version of the debug copy without the menu markers so the

links were giving a problem that I could debug them more quickly.  Premiere

was successful and created a DVDfolder.

So I then tried to repeat for the full video without the menu markers.   I

noted that even though I had cancelled all the menu markers, the markers

were still in place but not numbered.  So I deleted each marker one by

one.  The encoding ran for 67% completion and then it stalled and would not

advance. My computer was frozen.  It would not even respond to

Cntl-Alt-Delete. I hard force the computer to stop by pushing the

reset/start button.

I made changes to the scratch area and without deleting previous rendition

work, Premiere encoded about 17% complete and then crashed.

I attempted to run again with the internet turned off to make sure that

another sofware program was not interfering.  The encoding reached 63% when

I get the message Adobe Premiere Elements 12 has stopped working.  A

problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close

the program and notify you if a solution is available.  After letting

Windows close the program, I cannot restart Premiere video.  I will shut

down the computer after sending this email and try again.

The DVDs that I have created previous were with Premiere 10.  I also had to

clean malware of the computer and so reloaded all the software on the

computer.  I have copied DVD and CDs with Nero without any problems.  The

above attempts were tried  as not administrator.

Thanks,

Theo Powell

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 9:59 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>