7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 3:06 AM by Peter Spier

Indesign

tanyab93670696

I Need some help please. I have made my book cover using three pages, making a front, spine and back cover. I applied a 3mm bleed to each page at the start, but my printer wants the design to be without the bleed on the spine only. I'm not sure how to do this at all. I would love some help please.

• 1. Re: Indesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What, exactly, did the printer say to you? Did you send three pages for the cover, or a single page PDF?

• 2. Re: Indesign
            tanyab93670696 Level 1

I sent 1 PDF which had the 3 pages on it. The printer said he needs the spine (2nd page) to be without the bleed.

• 3. Re: Indesign

Is this set up as a 3-page spread? If so, would he be happy with a single page with all three panels on it? Do that by checking the Spreads box in the export dialog. If it isn't already a three-page spread you can turn off page shuffling in the Pages Panel flyout menu and then drag the pages together. If he really wants three pages for this, you'll need to export the spine separately without the bleed.

That said, I asked for exactly what he said because I suspect what he wants is bleed on all three panels on what will be the outside edges, but not the edges that touch. That would be accomplished by exporting the spread as one piece, with bleed. I'm disturbed that he isn't able to ignore bleed in his imposition software, though, and wonder if you've made a wise choice of printer.

• 4. Re: Indesign
                tanyab93670696 Level 1

Thanks Peter,

He does want bleed on the outside of three panels only. This is my first time at publishing and I'm learning as I go. The printer can only accept my book as a PDFs because he doesn't have a current version of indesign that he can open my indesign file with apparently. I've had to do all the changes from this end and resend to him as a PDF. I also have set the dpi to 300 through indesign settings, but when he receives it in PDF, it is only 150 dpi. IIt's been a very steep learning curve, but guys like you make it much easier. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Indesign

The DPI values that matter are the Effective DPI that you see in the link info or Info panel. That's the resolution at the output size. If you've save your image at 300 ppi, but then scale it to 200% in ID, the effective resolution is going to drop to 150 ppi. If you need more resolution, you need to start with an image that has more pixels -- you don't gain any quality by upsampling.

What PDF settings are you using now?

• 6. Re: Indesign
                    tanyab93670696 Level 1

I'm in the export Adobe pdf page and I'm using preset [high quality print] (modified) Standard pdf/x-4:2010 and compatibility acrobat 7 (PDFs 1.6). Is this what you are asking me?

• 7. Re: Indesign

Yes. That should be downsampling images over 450ppi to 300, but it won't help any images that have an effective resolution below 300 because they were scaled.