5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 8:25 AM by Szalam

Strobing! AE v15.3 (2015) is glitching and I can't edit at all or save down

keithwmedia

I can't work with my current project file due to the program glitching and strobing.

But since i've updated AE and saved down this file before I realised, I can no longer open it in an older version of AE so now I'm not sure what to do with my current AE project.

Has anyone else encountered similar problems with broken layers and AE glitching? Please let me know and what you've tried to solve it as I'm pretty desparate.

Many thanks,
      Keith W

win7 64bit
      4 GHz

i7-4790K

nvidia quadro K2000

16gb ram

• 1. Re: Strobing! AE v15.3 (2015) is glitching and I can't edit at all or save down
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I can no longer open it in an older version of AE

Projects created in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) can be opened in After Effects CC 2014 (13.2).

Also, you can use the File > Save As > After Effects CC command to save it back further to After Effects CC (12.x).

Regarding "glitching and strobing", that's not enough detail for anyone to help you. Provide more details, including example video of the problem.

• 2. Re: Strobing! AE v15.3 (2015) is glitching and I can't edit at all or save down
            keithwmedia Level 1

Todd,

Thanks for responding. Was 13.2 the previous version before the update last month? I'll try using the save command.

The glitching/strobing came from a previous AE version file which was opened and saved into the latest version of AE. There was no video in the composition except text and jpeg layers - the files were linked fine and all my assets remained in the same folders etc.
            The glitching started when I double clicked a text layer which could not be edited (after I selected the 'T' tool). One thing I noticed was the thin green render line above the timeline get on flashing on and off.

I'm afraid I have no program to record what is going on my screen as its the program not footage that's flashing.

• 3. Re: Strobing! AE v15.3 (2015) is glitching and I can't edit at all or save down
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

keithwmedia wrote:

Was 13.2 the previous version before the update last month?

Yes. It's also called CC 2014.

CC 2015 is 13.5

CC 2014 is 13.2.0.49

CC is 12.2.1.5

CS6 is 11.0.4

You should just be able to open your project in CC 2014 without any issue.

Keith Williams wrote:

I'm afraid I have no program to record what is going on my screen as its the program not footage that's flashing.

Got a smartphone handy?

• 4. Re: Strobing! AE v15.3 (2015) is glitching and I can't edit at all or save down
                keithwmedia Level 1

This update put my job at risk during one of the busiest times at my company - beware of this update everyone, you will lose previous effects/settings and have all your projects altered so they can only be opened in the latest update (a nightmare if in my situation if you require to use the removed effects/settings in the new version.. let alone the glitching).

The solution here was:

1. Back-up then uninstall CC 2015 bad programs
                2. restart computer
                3. re-install CC 2014
                4. download updates for CC 2014
                5. restart computer
                6. open files

I should never have updated, all the video editors are complaining across the board and I'm devastated at the set backs this had caused.

• 5. Re: Strobing! AE v15.3 (2015) is glitching and I can't edit at all or save down
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Wait, are you saying that you can't open project files saved in AE CC 2015 in AE CC 2014? Because you should be able to. I can open files created in AE CC 2015 in AE CC 2014 without a problem. If you're referring to issues with Premiere (which could be the case since you mention "editors") perhaps the folks in the Premiere forum would be able to offer more help.

Also, you don't need to uninstall CC 2015 to install CC 2014. I have CS5, CS6, CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 all installed on my system (Premiere, AE, Photoshop, etc.) and haven't had any issue with that yet.