9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 2:45 AM by Peter Spier

Can't open idml files in Adobe CS6

biancas80797717

I'm having issues with some idml files. I have a catalog that was created in 13 different InDesign files, each file coresponding to a different chapter. This catalog was made by a different designer and he created a package with all the links and fonts and so on. He also included the idml file, for older versions of InDesign. The point was to translate the whole catalog from english to romanian. All good up until here...

To translate the text, we colaborated with a translations agency and they said that they imported the idml files into a software (I have no idea which one) and they changed the text there and when they finished, they exported it again as a idml file...(using that same software)

The catalog was made in Adobe CC (8.2) and I'm using Adobe CS6. I tried to open the translated idml files (that I recieved from the agency). I could open the first 8 - without any problems...but when I tried to open the rest of the idml files, Adobe InDesign simply crashes...like this:

error1.jpgerror2.jpg

Are these idml files corrupted? Is there anything I can do to fix this? I am not sure if the issue started form the initial idml files exported from Adobe CC or after the translation software. I need to arrange the content after translation because in the romanian idml files (that I could open), I saw that there are many hidden texts and graphic elements in the wrong places...it is a bit of a mess.

• 1. Re: Can't open idml files in Adobe CS6
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You really should talk with whoever supplied you the IDML files.

• 2. Re: Can't open idml files in Adobe CS6
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What Eugene said, but I also think I see a clue in the second screen shot. I see an overset indicator but no apparent text or text frame, which makes me think the file is corrupted by a bug that causes ID to lose track of the geometric bounds for some page objects. The only way I know to fix such files is to delete the bad pages and rebuild them.

• 3. Re: Can't open idml files in Adobe CS6
              biancas80797717 Level 1

I was going to do that eventually but I wanted to see if this happened to someone else before and maybe find out how they fixed it...or what is causing this....

• 4. Re: Can't open idml files in Adobe CS6
                biancas80797717 Level 1

Peter, but how can I delete the bad pages and rebuild them if I can't open the file...

• 5. Re: Can't open idml files in Adobe CS6

You can't.

It's possible the IDMl files you sent out are damaged, in which case you'll need to open the original .indd files and make new .idml files for the translators. You should see what the translators have to say.

• 6. Re: Can't open idml files in Adobe CS6
                    biancas80797717 Level 1

I didn't create the original...other designers did that and they were the ones who exported the idml files in english. After that, the transaltors picked it up and replaced the text and sent me the idml files with the text in romanian. That was the first time I had contact with the catalog. Obviously I didnt have the links and fonts...so I asked the other designers for a package. I would try to acess the indd files that I have in the package but they were made in Id CC (8.2) and I have Id cs 6 so I can't acces them...only the other designers can acces the original file and create new idml files and it is pretty hard to get in touch with them, the translators won't be to happy to re-implement the text...and I have a feeling that all the issues will fall on me...haha, anyway thanks for taking the time to answer and help.

• 7. Re: Can't open idml files in Adobe CS6

You may have no choice but to involve them again. Do you have access to the original English IDML files? That would at least tell you if those open in CS6 (I suspect they won't). If they don't open for you, the onus is on the original designers to produce IDML files that will work and supply them to the translators (who probably use a translation software called Trados, about which I know nothing, but I suspect it doesn't need to know anything about page geometry). If the do open, it means the problem occurred someplace between the designers and you, possibly in the file transmission, and it may be enough to have the translators re-send the IDML files that are a problem.

• 8. Re: Can't open idml files in Adobe CS6
                        biancas80797717 Level 1

Yes, I think you're right...I recall them saying something about Trados. I just looked it up and it seems that it takes only the written information from the idml file and then the translator has to write the equivalent of the text in another language. I tried opening the original english idml, on two computers, two InDesigns and I get the same error...so I guess everything started there. I didn't expect those to be the problem because I assumed that they exported all the packages (one for each chapter) at once and in the same manner. So If one or two worked just fine, the others must act in the same way. I suspected that because the files went through too many conversions, from idml - translation software - idml back again, that was what corrupted the file...

• 9. Re: Can't open idml files in Adobe CS6

If I'm right about the cause, it's actually the original .indd file that has the problem and needs to be fixed.