8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 10:31 AM by Bill Gehrke

Will this laptop with a GeForce GTX 970M be enough?

jamest67772930

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a mobile solution for APP when I'm away for a few weeks. The laptop that I'm currently looking at is the asus g751jtdh72. It has a GTX 970M. I looked at the spec requirements and I wasn't mentioned on the list. Will the GTX 970m be enough? My biggest concern is if it's enough to avoid lag when I'm scrolling through the timeline.

Requirement page I looked at: System requirements | Adobe Premiere Pro

Specs on the g751jtdh72: http://www.whatisrightforme.com/laptop/Asus-G751JTDH72-3068.php

• 1. Re: Will this laptop with a GeForce GTX 970M be enough?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

you may want to get a laptop with a newer cpu, like the i7 5700HQ, which will be faster and use less power. also if you dont plan on using a lot of gpu effects or heavy lumetri color effects, the gtx 965M will work and save a bit of money. lag from scrolling thru the timeline will also depend on the storage/media drive. you may want to see if you can find a laptop where you can replace the 1tb internal hdd with a large enough ssd, or use a usb ssd like the ones from samsung. then you could use the internal 1tb hdd for backup.

• 2. Re: Will this laptop with a GeForce GTX 970M be enough?
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That laptop will do well as i7-5700HQ equipped units are not yet widely available.  It is not that I would not like the newer processor but Unless you can find exactly what you want the ASUS is fine.   I am not sure but the Everything else about the G751 is very good, I have a G750.  MSI GE72 series have the newer processor but for some reason MSI only supports 16 GB maximum RAM where the ASUS can go to 32 GB.  Also the GTX 970M has 3GB  of video RAM and as higher resolution video is becoming more available that will be nice when you go that way.  I expect delivery of my Samsung T1 USB 3 SSD tomorrow, I will try to get back with my test results.

I have converted my G750 to all SSD and got rid of the hard disk drive, added very high speed USB 3 flash drives and it edits my 1080 AVCHD with three layers of video plus more layers of pictures and titles with ease.

• 3. Re: Will this laptop with a GeForce GTX 970M be enough?
              JFPhoton Level 3

...YES...I " second" Bill's recommendation.  The CPU and GPU will be fine...better than ours, ( I have the same G750 and , like Bill, upgraded the RAM to 24GB and put 2 fast SSDs in the laptop. If you have a larger budget, I am seeing where Asus is starting to put the PCI SSD, ( the Samsung SM951) in some newer laptops.  the Asus ROG gaming laptops have really improved their cooling with the two separate and quiet running fans and the copper heat ducts. Temps are always low, even under a heavy load and overclocking the video card !!.

Make sure you can find out exactly WHERE the existing 16GB of memory is placed. If you are lucky, there will be two 8GB sticks placed on an inaccessible spot under the keyboard and two empty, user accessible slots under a cover on the bottom. On our G750s, two 4GB sticks were placed under the keyboard so without disassembling the whole laptop, we were limited to adding two 8GB sticks for a total of 24GB....which is good, but, 32 would have been better. Also, make sure there are two 2.5" HDD bays that are accessible so you can remove the existing crappy 5400 RPM HDD and clone it onto a new SATA III SSD....then add a second SSD for best performance.

• 4. Re: Will this laptop with a GeForce GTX 970M be enough?

Guess what? That model has a 7200 rpm drive and at BestBuy and is on sale for $1700

My guess is that model is near end-of-life and that ASUS will have newer ones shortly.

James, do you have a deadline to act on this buy quite soon?

• 5. Re: Will this laptop with a GeForce GTX 970M be enough?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The word we are getting from Clevo Disti is the new Skylake (probably instead of Broadwell) laptops are coming soon. Most of the current Haswell laptops are phased out and Clevo Disti is clearing stock. It looks like Intel is skipping Broadwell for the most part and going right to Skylake.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: Will this laptop with a GeForce GTX 970M be enough?
                    jamest67772930 Level 1

My trip begins on the 17th so I'll have about 5 days to make a final decision. Thank you for showing me the bestbuy page. The T1 also sounds like a really good addition.

• 7. Re: Will this laptop with a GeForce GTX 970M be enough?
                      jamest67772930 Level 1

I ended up getting the G751JTDH72. Thank you Bill for the great find and everyone for taking the time to give me your valuable input.

• 8. Re: Will this laptop with a GeForce GTX 970M be enough?

Thank you Eric for the good information!