6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 1:44 PM by Miles4Ever

Inconsistent GPU usage of Quadro K6000

Miles4Ever Level 1

I have a Dell 7910 Workstation with an Intel Xeon E5-2680 v3 (12 core) with 128GB of RAM and an Nvidia Quadro K6000 GPU. Considering how powerful this machine is I feel like render times with AME and PP are not as fast as they could be. Initially I thought there maybe an issue with the latency in accessing files from my SAN, and I moved active projects to local SSDs. Although offering an improvement it hasn't made a big difference.

A typical project will have content in DNxHD at a high bit-rate (170 Mbps+) or maybe XAVCS (50 Mbps)  which is then exported for online delivery on YouTube or similar in h.264, typically at 1080p. When doing this I rarely see more than 30% total CPU usage or more than 70% total GPU usage. I also find the GPU usage is very spikey (as in the first screenshot), which is not the case in other graphics intense applications like say a game (see second screenshot).

Any ideas what could be causing the bottleneck ?

spikey_gpu_usage.png

quadro_perfomance_ai.png

• 1. Re: Inconsistent GPU usage of Quadro K6000
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's the way it is if you are not using many MPE GPU accelerated effects and features.  Now if you exported that HD to a DVD that required a lot of scaling you would see much more usage.  Our Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM) has a timeline in it that has lots of GPU accelerated features and effects and you can see 99% usage.  Remember plain and simple exports are primarily CPU intensive.

• 2. Re: Inconsistent GPU usage of Quadro K6000
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Dual Xeons do not render as fast as the single I7 5960X CPU's because they have a lower clock speed. The Xeons give a far better realtime playback capability since threading is more important than higher clock speed for realtime playback with most codecs.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Inconsistent GPU usage of Quadro K6000
              Miles4Ever Level 1

This is a multi core not a multi CPU machine. The number of cores in use still seems low under a number of scenarios.

• 4. Re: Inconsistent GPU usage of Quadro K6000
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Whether you have 1 or 2 Xeon chips the principle is still the same. The 12 Core 2680V3 chips are 2.5GHz chips that turbo to 3 to 3.3Ghz based on number of cures used. The 5960X chips are 3GHz chips that turbo to 3.5GHz base but can be clocked higher by configuration. The Xeons are locked and cannot. The ram on the i7 CPU's is also unlocked where as the Xeons lock the DDR4 ram speed to 2133. As stated above the greater cores at lower clock speed have lower performance for rendering. The performance gain of cores is realtime playback.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Inconsistent GPU usage of Quadro K6000
                  RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

When doing this I rarely see more than 30% total CPU usage or more than 70% total GPU usage.

that cpu usage is extremely low, regardless of what kind it is. you tried the ssd, and the gpu isn't maxed, so doesn't leave alot for a bottleneck on the hardware. you may want to troubleshoot the timeline to see if something in the software is causing it. several of adobe's apps have functions that don't seem to multi-thread, so the software itself becomes the bottleneck. you can try a new project and place non-quicktime media on it, then just export to another non-quicktime format. (quicktime is 32bit and can bottleneck). in theory, this should use 100% cpu, but in my tests it wont. if the cpu usage is high, like 60-80%, then you can go back to the troubled project and troubleshoot the timeline. duplicate it and start removing effects, adjustment layers, nesting, AE comps, etc. to try and isolate which part is crippling premiere.

• 6. Re: Inconsistent GPU usage of Quadro K6000
                    Miles4Ever Level 1

Thanks for the info. I will have a play with the benchmark.