3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2015 8:19 AM by Gene McCullagh

Help! I just downloaded Lightroom (trial) and it imported every file on my computer

Tellaan

My intention was for my pictures be imported, I have no need for the text files in Lightroom at all.

OK, so I thought I might be able to mark all the text files and delete them from Lightroom. Not so easy it seems...

1. I cannot mark all and delete all in one go (I have noted that whilst in Library mode all files can be marked with the x-key and "set as rejected" - though when hitting delete only one file is deleted)

2. to my astonishment and utter shock, the text files i managed to "remove from Lightroom" were also deleted from my computer! Gone, and cannot be found in recycle bin either.

What can I do?

I do not want the text files in Lightroom, and what will happen to them once the trial month run out? Will all my texts be wiped out? This would spell disaster for me.

Please help! I am most grateful for any suggestions!

• 1. Re: Help! I just downloaded Lightroom (trial) and it imported every file on my computer
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you sure you are talking about Lightroom? Lightroom doesn't just automatically import every file on the computer. And Lightroom doesn't import text files. What did you do that caused Lightroom to import all of your files?

• 2. Re: Help! I just downloaded Lightroom (trial) and it imported every file on my computer
            Tellaan Level 1

Hi Jimi,

Yes, I'm talking about Lightroom and no it did not automatically import every file. I made it happen somehow...unfortunately...my bad and all that...

I downloaded photos and noticed many were missing, so I went to an option in Lightroom where I somehow imported my C:drive, texts and all. Sadly, now I cannot find exactly that view/option in Lightroom, and therefore not explain how I did it. As I said, I am totally and completely new to this program, nothing is familiar to me. However it is possible to download text files, all graphic designers are sure to be happy about this, so that in itself isn't a problem.

My problems/questions are these:

1. How do I remove the files from Lightroom without deleting them from my computer (the few I did delete from Lightroom were actually deleted also from my c:drive)?

2. How do I mark more than one file to be removed from Lightroom (but not from their original place on my c:drive)?

• 3. Re: Help! I just downloaded Lightroom (trial) and it imported every file on my computer
              Gene McCullagh Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Lightroom can import the following file types:

• Camera raw formats
              • DNG
              • TIFF
              • JPG
              • PSD
              • CMYK files
              • PNG
              • AVI, MOV, MP4, and other video files

Text files are not importable into Lightroom.

As for deleting files you have in Lightroom you can select multiple files and press the delete key. You are then offered a dialog like this...

2015-07-26_10-17-11.png

REMOVE - takes them out of the catalog but leaves the files on your drive

DELETE FROM DISK - takes the out of your catalog AND DELETES THE FILES FROM YOUR DISK