5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 12:44 AM by khkannisto

Best way to achieve scales orders of magnitude bigger

connorw28336732

Hey everyone,

Im a pretty new AE user, and i have been interested in creating videos which compare sizes and magnitudes of various things in the universe. For example, comparing the speeds of the universe, from a snail all the way to light speed, by giving faster things a bigger size. I have been creating the effect by making various 2D composition cards of each item which is being compared, eg; speed.png

I then created a camera and made the layers 3D, so i could zoom out of each composition card to show the relative sizes and have the cards sitting at a nice perspective which looks cool. eg;speed2.png

Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to achieve.

The problem I keep running into is that I'm giving each card a scale based on it speed to get the relative sizes when I zoom out. The scales begin to get out of hand, because on the one end i have speeds of 40km/h, and by the end of the video im dealing with the speed of light which is around 1,000,000,000km/h and after effects starts glitching out long before i set the scale to millions of %.

I have tried stopping the video, creating a new composition and trying to reset the scales again but i can never get a seamless transition from the previous one.

I am wondering if anyone on here could help me out or show me a method to achieve the same effect but be able to deal with the cards being millions if not billions of times bigger than each other at times.

If i haven't explained something clearly please let me know, and all feedback is appreciated

Thanks alot!