3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2015 1:34 PM by sharlad63999051

Trying to Update for Camera Raw on PSE 10 unsuccessful

sharlad63999051

Problem: PSE10 won't open my Canon 70D RAW files to edit.  I get an error message that says "Cannot open c:\users\pictures\nature\IMG_5779.CR2...because it is the wrong type of file"

Stats:

Photoshop Elements version 10

Current RAW Plugin Version listed in PSE10: 6.7.0.339

Tried Solutions:

Attempted to install the AdobePatchInstaller Adobe Elements Camera Raw 6.6 Update from Adobe's site and it fails with the following error msg: "Updates could not be applied. Error log file

Elements Camera Raw 6.6 Updates

Installation failed. Error Code: U44M2P7"

Also downloaded the DNG Converter and when I try to use the utility it doesn't read the files either.  It can't convert, gives error message "the source folder does not contain any supported files"...though I know the images I am trying to select are RAW CR2 files.

It seems that nothing I am doing is working.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Trying to Update for Camera Raw on PSE 10 unsuccessful
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The 70D requires ACR 8.2 that is only compatible with PSE 12 and newer.  Basically the camera is newer than when PSE10 was the current version of PSE and Adobe only updates whatever the current versions of their software are for new cameras.

You can use the DNG Converter 8.2 or newer (currently it’s 9.1) to create DNGs from the CR2 files one FOLDER at a time.  When you are selecting the source location keep in mind it is a folder and you should be single-click-selecting the foldername not double-click-opening the folder.

The DNG Converter can be downloaded from the Adobe Updates page:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

• 2. Re: Trying to Update for Camera Raw on PSE 10 unsuccessful
            sharlad63999051 Level 1

Thank you for the info.  I thought since I was updating from the Adobe page for my version of PSE and clicked on the supported cameras, I saw my Canon 70D in the list therefore it made me think I was on the right track.  I have the DNG converter and have selected the entire folder, not just single images.  I will try again with that making sure I am doing it right.

• 3. Re: Trying to Update for Camera Raw on PSE 10 unsuccessful
              sharlad63999051 Level 1

UPDATE: Your information helped me by eventually leading me on the correct track. I found out I didn't have the correct DNG converter for Windows Home Vista Service Pack II and once I was able to install it, I used your tip about selecting the entire folder (by creating a separate folder of just RAW files) and was able to reach conversion success that way.  Now my files are there for me to edit with my PSE10.  I avoided an expensive update of software by going this route.  Thank you!