3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 7:02 AM by Rick Gerard

Clone tools sample area don't follow the tracker

wonkitnow

I'm trying to remove a moving a black spot with the clone tool from an area that changes color. The only sample area I have is the area very next to the spot in each frame. I have no problem to get the clone tool to follow the tracker. By pasting the trackers position keyframes into Paint->Clone 1->Transform: Clone->Position. But the sample/source position doesn't follow it's aligned offset -10, 10. What happens is that it either samples from the same position i.e 944, 13 in the movie or from a locked position, which result incorrect match. I have not be able to find a way to copy the key frames with an desired offset into Paint->Clone 1->Stroke option->Clone position.

Here's a link to the movie clip that I've tried to clone out the black spot. Dropbox - Blemish clone remove.mov

If anyone can help me understand how you solve these problems, like taking out a small flying bird. Birthmarks on skin when moving.

Thanks,

Christopher

• 1. Re: Clone tools sample area don't follow the tracker
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Wouldn't it be more efficient to just duplicate the layer and mask it out, then slightly move it to cover up the black spot? You are over-complicating this.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Clone tools sample area don't follow the tracker
            Mathias Moehl Adobe Community Professional

wonkitnow wrote:

If anyone can help me understand how you solve these problems, like taking out a small flying bird. Birthmarks on skin when moving.

I usually like to to painting on moving objects inside a stabilized precomp.

You can create these either with mocha / MochaImport+

stabilized-precomp.jpg?itok=X7QsE37c

MochaImport+ for AE Mini Tutorial 5: Stabilized Precomp | mamoworld

or, if you don't want to switch to a separate application for tracking you can do it with the mask tracker and MaskTracker+

1-minute-tut-2-preview_image.jpg?itok=zwac265y

Efficient rotoscoping in After Effects with stabilized precomps and the mask tracker | mamoworld

For MochaImport+ and MaskTracker+ also consider this bundle deal.

• 3. Re: Clone tools sample area don't follow the tracker
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with Mylenium. You are way over thinking this. If you have CC2014  then use the mask tracker. Set up your comp like this:

1. Drop your footage in a new timeline
              2. Duplicate the footage twice
              3. Draw a very small mask around the blemish that is only about twice the size of the blemish on the top copy of the footage
              4. Track the mask
              5. Add a tiny bit of mask feather
              6. Set the top copy as an alpha track matte for the second layer
              7. Since the blemish moves diagonally down and to the left move the second layer up and to the right until the blemish dissapears
              8. Done
              9. Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 6.26.02 AM.png

If you don't have mask tracking then do this:

1. Duplicate your footage in the tilmeline
              2. Track the blemish in the top copy with AE's point tracker
              3. Add a blue solid to the top layer and set the blend mode to screen so you can see through the solid
              4. Draw a small mask around the blemish
              5. Apply the tracking data to the blue solid
              6. Set the blue solid as a track matte for the footage below
              7. Follow the same logic in step 7 above
              8. Done

Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 6.59.53 AM.png

Like my friend Mathias I also do a lot of this kind of stuff by stabilizing a shot and then removing the stabilization with a null and an expression. Most of the time I just use AE's built in Stabilizer and stabilize position scale and rotation. I use it so much that I have created an animation preset. Because of the changing light on this shot the above methods will work much better and faster.