5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 4:52 PM by Peter Spier

Reveal serial number for Adobe Indesign CS4?

m&mprint

Hi

We currently have Adobe CC2015 installed on all of our MAC computers but I need to reinstall Indesign CS4 as I have a Marksware plugin for this program that can only be used with this version. I have it running on an old MAC G5 at the moment but am keen to get rid of that computer and instead re install the program on one of our newer iMacs. I have previously purchased CS, CS2, CS3, CS4 and CS5 suites and have all of the boxes for them with their Suite Serial numbers on the back.

I tried installing just Indesign through the custom install option on the newer imac but it was asking for a valid upgrade product serial number - Photoshop, Illustrator or Indesign versions CS thru to CS3. I tried various combinations but the suite serial numbers I have from all of the previous boxes were also invalid. So I selected trial mode to allow instant use of the plugin and have about 3 weeks to now work out how to fix this.

When Indesign opens a new dialogue box prompts for the CS4 Indesign product serial number to be entered and I have tried again with the CS4 suite serial but it won't accept it.

I'm wondering if the individual programs in the suite all have different serial numbers to the suite serial number and that is why its not working? Should I try to renistall the whole suite instead? Is there any way of revealing what my CS4 Indesign serial number is on my old computer? I have tried deactivating and reactivating but it didn't reveal the serial number.

I have tried contacting Adobe Support directly but unfortunately they were not interested in assisting with anything related to CS4 even though we have multiple Cloud subscriptions.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Reveal serial number for Adobe Indesign CS4?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It may be looking for the serial number for the qualifying product from which you upgraded. Also, CS4 is not supported on any OS that will run CC 2015, as far as I know, so there are likely to be some glitches getting it installed and running. It could be less expensive in the long run to upgrade the plugin (which may also be tied to the old machine, as well as the version of ID), but check with Markzware first to be sure it's ready for CC 2015. If they only have earlier versions, your CC subscription allows you to install CS6 and forward alongside CC 2015. See How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015 | Adobe Customer Care Team

• 2. Re: Reveal serial number for Adobe Indesign CS4?
            m&mprint Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that iMac I'm installing this on has CS 5 already on it with another markzware plugin that is only valid with that version and  does not  have CC installed - it is also running an older OS X as we have a number of programs on there that are not compatible with later OS Xs. The CC 2015 is on 3 newer iMac computers running on Yosemite.  Basically I'm trying to minimise the number of old computers we have in the office as desk space is at a premium! I had a look on markzware's website and they do have a version for CS6 that I could purchase but I was trying to save $$ and use the software I already owned.

• 3. Re: Reveal serial number for Adobe Indesign CS4?

So it sounds like the upgrade installer looking for a qualified product....

• 4. Re: Reveal serial number for Adobe Indesign CS4?
                m&mprint Level 1

Yes I think so. I believe it was upgraded from CS2 originally. I tried entering that CS2 serial number this morning but no luck.

The plugin also works on CS3 so I installed this version this morning and the serial number was accepted but now I can't activate the program. The error message is something along the lines of "Can't establish internet connection with Adobe". It allows for 30 days of use before the program will stop working. I get that adobe doesn't want to provide software support for older programs but not being able to activate software that was purchased and has valid serial numbers is pretty ridiculous. I see this is also a really popular topic in the forums and no solutions have been given by adobe. Aaaah!!!!

(OSX 10.6.8)

• 5. Re: Reveal serial number for Adobe Indesign CS4?

The CS3 number or the installer disk itself may be all you need for CS4 to install.